Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: miniDV and digital 8 tapes - Where are the good deals these days?  (Read 3698 times)

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
I haven't been shopping for tapes in ages.  Who's got the good deals now?  What's the longest tapes available?  I'm used to seeing 80 minute miniDV tapes (60's are the most common), but I don't know about the length of digital 8 tapes at all.  I'm trying to get ready for a night of audio and video recording that's coming up in about 2 weeks and I haven't been doing my homework yet.  I'll be running one miniDV and one digital 8 camera.  There will also be at least one other miniDV there and I'm trying to figure out what I need in the way of tape to make sure it gets covered well.  Any tips for timing of tape swaps so that there's always at least one camera running?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline wilsonedits

• Taperssection Regular
Re: miniDV and digital 8 tapes - Where are the good deals these days?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 01:31:53 PM »
we always just have one cam switch 5 minutes before the end.....

best deal I found was these guys  www.taperesources.com 
P2 yo

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 10:41:26 PM »
Like Wilson said ~ just stagger the tape start times.  Get one rolling a few minutes before you think the show's going to start (it'll probably roll for at least five minutes before the show actually does start), and get the second one rolling right as the show starts.

The 80 minute tapes are really nice (and run for 120 minutes in LP mode), but you pay a lot more for the extra 40 minutes as the tapes themselves are considerably more expensive than the 60 minute tapes.  Of course, if you really need the additional tape and it saves you a tape switch, it might be worth the extra expense.  However, a lot of times, you end up not needing it - so the additional money spent is pretty much wasted.  If you have a really good idea how long the band is going to play, then you can make an informed decision - otherwise - I'd stick with 60 minute tapes and save money.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline kcmoejoe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Kansasouri
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 11:44:54 AM »
Whatcha got in the works?
Open: JW Mod AKG 460 (ck61/63) > Sound Devices MP-2 > R-09HR / D8
Stealth: AT853 w/ 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub-Card,Hypers) / DPA 4061 > Batt. Box > R-09HR

Audio trade list: http://db.etree.org/kcmoejoe  (outdated)
DVD trade list: http://db.etree.org/kcmjdvd  (outdated)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000146308101
shows on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/kcmoejoe
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kcmoejoe

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 02:25:06 PM »
Whatcha got in the works?

Hey Joe!  Weary Boys @ The Bottleneck on Jan 17 (that's a Wednesday) and I'm hoping you can be there too.  Sam's planning to be there.  If you need some samples:

http://www.wearyboys.com/bootlegs.html

I've also got a recording that I did in Lincoln, NE at The Zoo Bar if you're interested.

These guys are way better than most of the stuff coming out of Nashville these days, yet they are just plain folks.  No rock star attitudes.  And they are genuinely good people too.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »
Forgot to answer your question about where the good deals are...

Ebay.  I bought 20 Sony 8mm digital tapes there.  I can't remember the exact price, but it was way below what you'd pay retail.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 06:20:18 PM »
costco

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:02:20 PM »
Sam's Club has 8 packs of Maxell mini DV tapes (made in Japan) for just under $20.   That's about $2.50 per tape before sales tax.   Pretty sure they have digital 8mm too but I don't recall the price.

As for the tape switches, you might have one camera in LP mode while the other records in SP, so you're changing tapes at different times.   Another option is to switch tapes on the first camera after a song ends and while there are still several minutes left on the tape; the other camera you let roll until the tape runs out and then switch.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 09:04:32 PM by Elvis Hitler »

Offline wilsonedits

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:29:42 PM »
also if you have a nice camera at all.. that you care about pic a brand and stick with it.... different tapes do different things on the heads of your camera...and sticking with on will eliminate alot of dropout problems as well as be better on your heads and make them last longer....

P2 yo

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 08:53:10 PM »
also if you have a nice camera at all.. that you care about pic a brand and stick with it.... different tapes do different things on the heads of your camera...and sticking with on will eliminate alot of dropout problems as well as be better on your heads and make them last longer....

yeah this is pretty good advice. you can read me about this issue here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DV#Mixing_tapes_from_different_manufacturers
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t111891.html

generally i just avoid sony branded tapes.  most brands are dry anyways.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 10:58:45 PM »
I bought a mini-DV tape re-winder for $8.  It runs on batteries, so it's very convenient.  I figure using it instead of the cam for rewinding will add at least a few months of life to my cam - maybe several months.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com