Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Should I keep my microtrack? Thinking about going back to minidisc.  (Read 12352 times)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Should I keep my microtrack? Thinking about going back to minidisc.
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 09:43:56 AM »
WTF doesn't sony make an ATRAC lossless.   You would get about 160min of record time (if the codec is anyhting like the other lossless codecs).  That would have made the Hi-MD the shit!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 09:46:18 AM »
Is it possible to patch from the MT to minidisc, so that you could use the MD to cover the gap between the 2gig files? That probably sounds stoopid, I know, but at least you'd not be losing 5 seconds.

That's what I've been planning on... haven't had a set run over 1:55 yet though.

why not get 2 Hi-MD and hot-swap when you get to 94 minutes?  The Hi-MD will stay in pause record forever without pulling down the battery.  It's what I do.  Just cut out the swap (it's best between tunes) and you are good to go.

That's exactly what I have been pondering doing.

But I've come to the conclusion that the MT is better suited for my needs. I still have the RH10 for patching at the 1:55 mark if I need it. One of my secondary uses for the MT is doing VO work, and uploading quickly for editing. The HiMD recorders can't compare to the drag and drop ease provided by the MT....and this makes a huge difference when working with my workflow. VO #1 > upload > edit, VO #2 > upload > edit, ect.

Thanks for all the responces though. +t's.... definitely helped me make my decision. Maybe someday I'll get these legacy md's archived.

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 09:49:59 AM »
WTF doesn't sony make an ATRAC lossless.   You would get about 160min of record time (if the codec is anyhting like the other lossless codecs).  That would have made the Hi-MD the shit!

They did.... unfortunatly too late to impliment in any of their hardware though (as of yet). It remains a (pretty much useless) method of archiving audio through the sonicstage program, but can only be played on your computer.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 09:54:02 AM »

They did.... unfortunatly too late to impliment in any of their hardware though (as of yet). It remains a (pretty much useless) method of archiving audio through the sonicstage program, but can only be played on your computer.

Well, if they implement it into a new model of the HiMD, I am going to have a ton of gear to sell....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 09:55:16 AM »
Is the sonic stage software the hard to use?  uploading stuff of the MD isnt much different then uploading something off the mt.

Well, if they implement it into a new model of the HiMD, I am going to have a ton of gear to sell....

Ya that would be awesome.  Getting 3 hours on a 1gb disc and 1 hour on a 80min would be pretty nice.  I have not heard of any new HIMD models coming out this year but its still early and usually they are announced around may and released in july.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 09:57:20 AM by dunebug81 »
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 10:11:13 AM »
Is the sonic stage software the hard to use?  uploading stuff of the MD isnt much different then uploading something off the mt.

I'm on a mac so I would be dealing with the mac wav importer program, which is pretty straight forward. The sonicstage program isn't that bad either, just a little too big for doing simple importing. But either way, the MT's drag and drop is much faster. It copies over usb 2.0 from a flash card, which may even be faster than uploading from a harddrive. The only himd using usb 2.0 is the rh1, and it still doesn't reach the full potential of the connection, because of limitations in reading the disc (it is mechanical after all).

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »
If you are worried about expensive media, check this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83458.0/topicseen.html

Also, for the 5-second split.  That is about right, 5 seconds for one file to the next.  Sucks but oh well.  I have lost seconds from an extended set due to this 'feature', off the top of my head, it was a pain at the Accoustic World Tour because they never stopped playing, just seagued through all three bands and then Antibalis went for a long set. 
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2007, 09:21:54 PM »
I sold my RH1 last week thinking I was going to the new Zoom H2 or the R-09.  I think the RH1 is a cool MD but the controls and layout are not optimal for open taping.  I went ahead and bit on a used RH10 I saw on ebay.  (Should have been delivered today but the post man left a note to pick it up at the post office since nobody was home).  I sold my 1st RH10 to get the RH1 (should have kept the RH10!!!).  I really like that big OLED screen layout and the AA battery sidecar is a definite necessity, the lithium ions in the RH1 don't cut it for me, although I understand it helps make the line out option better.

So, I may still get the Zoom H2 when it hits the streets but I have 2 Hi-MD again and will probably stick with this setup until a 24 bit flash recorder with an ADC as good as the Sony Hi-MD, in the same price range with the necessary controls/power sources is available.  I have been with MD since 2003, I understand its limitations and its benefits.  Media is still relatively cheap and dependable.  I have mastered the issues with Sonic Stage (although I haven't had any problems since at least 3.x and it's not up to 4.3)

Until then, it's hot swap around 90 minutes and keep it rolling... 

RH910 in the day, RH10 when the lights go down... :coolguy:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 09:26:12 PM by mrsoul »
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2007, 06:46:51 AM »
I sold my RH1 last week thinking I was going to the new Zoom H2 or the R-09.  I think the RH1 is a cool MD but the controls and layout are not optimal for open taping. 

I sold my Edirol R-09 last week because it´s not cool for stealth taping when it comes to checking levels. On the RH1 I always see the levels looking down to my frontpocket ;) and I can easily adjust with my right hand leaving the RH1 inside the pocket.
Now I only need to get used to the 94min 55sec PCM limit ;).
Maybe fade in the 2nd part of the shows if some parts of a song get lost by changing HI-MDs.
Fade out the 1st part at 94min and fade in the beginning of the 2nd part, remembering the max in put level of course ;).

I still have my iriver H140 so I can easily avoid this issue ;).

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:50:14 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2007, 09:53:54 AM »
I sold my Edirol R-09 last week because it´s not cool for stealth taping when it comes to checking levels.

Level checking is for amateurs.
Indeed. One knows the recorder. One knows the venue/band. Set and forget.

What if the levels are too high/low during checking? (or at least you think they are) You adjust? And then, back at home?
You have half a recording? Or need to guess what adjustments you made where?

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2007, 10:51:48 AM »
I sold my Edirol R-09 last week because it´s not cool for stealth taping when it comes to checking levels.

What if the levels are too high/low during checking? (or at least you think they are) You adjust? And then, back at home?
maybe freelunch uses AGC or has been and still is taping the same band at the same venue for years ;) and knows what level needs to be set in advance....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:53:24 AM by Arni99 »

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2007, 11:13:07 AM »

maybe freelunch uses AGC or has been and still is taping the same band at the same venue for years ;) and knows what level needs to be set in advance....

Or just knows his gear well. I don't stealth, but I rarely need to change my levels during a show. I can pretty well set them before the band comes on and end up OK. I just know how my gear behaves and can generally anticipate the band/venue.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »
I know that level 11/30 on line-in is a good starter for loud rock-shows;) with MY GEAR(RH1), nevertheless I check levels during the 1st song and then press the HOLD button and enjoy the show.  ::)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com