Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: getting AKG caps callibrated??  (Read 8802 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: getting AKG caps callibrated??
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 01:34:43 PM »

I would say that just because no one has found a static discharge to create problems.. Does not mean it has not happened... How does one know when a capsule goes bad all of a sudden that the problem has not been static discharge?? Also one simple test would be to switch the capsules from one body to another if the low output follows the capsule.. Well then its the capsule not a pinched wire or bad phantom power.

I totally agree with all the above.   The static issue is just one that I would like to see a verified case of it first. 

The problem is that often capsules do go bad but no one knows why.. I feel in "SOME" cases its static discharge. There are other reasons I have found.. First dropping a AKG or any other type of capsule on the ground and changing the shape of the mic housing "stretches" the diaphragm and causes a low output, I have also see mics that were used on stage and placed as drum overheads fail due to heat from a lighting fixture because the Mylar was stretched. I have also seen mics fail because of debris on the mic diaphragm shorting the surface plating of the Mylar to ground. The other way is a the diaphragm loses its permanent charge on the diaphragm.  And last but not least the "mystery" failure of static discharge. What else could it be? I dont have the answer but I assume its static. I dont want to expairiment on an expensive capsule to find out :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
good discussion. I definately switched bodies and cables around, and the cap was the consistant problem peice.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 04:51:36 PM »
good discussion. I definately switched bodies and cables around, and the cap was the consistant problem peice.

I assumed you did this not being your first "pick-nick" :) There is one other thing to check that the special large nut on the back of the capsule has not loosened up. Its a huge lock ring affair on the back of the capsule it has two small holes in it. In most cases this gets lose and changes the spacing between the diaphragm and back plate and this does lower the output. Send me a picture of the back of the capsule if you have some time..

Chris

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 03:51:08 PM »
thanks for all the replies, as it turns out the bad cap has a crack in it in the part where sound gets picked up.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline ttrego2003

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 05:09:05 PM »
having the same problem, same db difference also.

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 01:27:35 PM »
The caps I had problems with were really old.  Moisture was the culprit.  I sent the to AKG and both had to be replaced.  Cost $250 to reskin them both. 
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 01:39:31 PM »
The caps I had problems with were really old.  Moisture was the culprit.  I sent the to AKG and both had to be replaced.  Cost $250 to reskin them both. 

Thats cheap compaired to what they would be to replace and your getting a brand new microphone..

Chris

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2007, 01:40:59 PM »
exactly!  That's cheaper that one brand new cap.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 04:41:37 PM »
Im still trying to get a high-def. camera to take a picture of the incident to send to church-audio and OFOTD

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 01:00:18 AM »

So if the mics are really old like the ones I bought, then it might be best to send them off to Land Audio Services. Should I send the bodies as well? What about a JK Mod on the bodies? Is it worth it? Anyone have any experiences good or bad?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:03:34 AM by NOLAfishwater »

Offline micdoc1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2007, 07:54:49 AM »
Hello,

My name is Richard Land, I am the owner of Land Audio Services in Hendersonville TN. I am the authorized repair center in the US for AKG.  I was also their lead tech in Nashville for 7 years before they moved back to CA.  Anyway, you cannot calibrate the CK63 capsules and they do not have an electrical charge on them.  If the capsule goes bad the only fix is to replace it.  But, if you only replace one then the other one will probably sound bad, I say this because I have replaced capsules for other people who have 2 or more C460, C451's and C480's, and after they get the fixed one back they send the others in.  I can be contacted at 615-338-4443 Mon. thru Thur. until 5:00pm central and 4:00pm central on Friday.

Thanks,

Richard Land
Land Audio Services

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com