Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann??  (Read 7648 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Neumann??
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 04:42:19 PM »
I heard that it is "Noy-mohn"

Shoeps  was said to be "Showps"       :scared:

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 07:10:23 AM »
Sennheiser one of the only companies to add weights to there microphones to make them "feel like quality"  :P

This is the fault of Shure.  ::)

The SM 58 became such a standard that any microphone that was lighter was deemed by the buying public to be of lower quality and any microphone that was heavier was deemed to be "too heavy".

So you will find that pretty well all vocal microphones from all the major manufacturers are all exactly the same weight as the SM 58.  ::)

stevetoney

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 01:26:53 PM »
Sennheiser one of the only companies to add weights to there microphones to make them "feel like quality"  :P

The SM 58 became such a standard that any microphone that was lighter was deemed by the buying public to be of lower quality and any microphone that was heavier was deemed to be "too heavy".

So you will find that pretty well all vocal microphones from all the major manufacturers are all exactly the same weight as the SM 58.  ::)

A little different, but kinda like how all copy machines are called Xeroxes.

My daughter works at a fast food store down south...when a customer asks for a coke instead of a soft drink, she learned from experience that she has to respond something like...'For your coke, would you like sprite, coke, or root beer?'

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 08:39:03 PM »
The vowel sound in "Schoeps" isn't exactly the same as anything in English, but it's nearly as close to a short "e" (as in "hen" or "pen") as it is to the long "o" as in "show."

Attached is a sound file of the late Dr. Schoeps (founder of the company) pronouncing his own name, from an interview recorded in 1983.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 10:44:28 PM »
Attached is a sound file of the late Dr. Schoeps (founder of the company) pronouncing his own name, from an interview recorded in 1983.

That sounds like it was recorded with a U89.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 10:54:35 PM »
I get the joke. But it's a stereo recording, and it was definitely made with Schoeps microphones--a pair of CMC 541 perhaps (I wasn't there).

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 11:07:06 PM »
I had no doubt it was a schoeps recording  ;D
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 08:29:23 AM »
guess thats definitive then.
schempz to me still.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 07:42:55 PM »
I always thought that oe translated to m.

shempz  (dropping the "c")

nope, it's actually the German letter "m" that transates to "m"  ;D
like the "m" is "Neumann" is pronounced that same way the letter "m" would be pronounced in English  :P

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 08:56:38 PM »

I am not talking vocal mics I am talking the Sennheiser 421 they whent from a Alnico magnet to a Nedinium magnet * much cheaper * and differently effects sound quality. So to trick there customers into thinking it was still the same old 421 they used a weight in there microphone. If you take it out of the "new" 421 it feels like the cheap mic that it has become.. Shure never used weights in there microphones they just built them out of heavy zinc and make them so they dont fall apart when you look at them... Sennheiser could have learned a few things about that ridiculous 421 mic clip design...  from Shure... :) That being said my favorite guitar mic is not the sm57 its the sennheiser 409 :) The original not the crapfire series... Sorry Blackfire. Or should I say BACKFIRE... Sennheiser quality has been slipping for years.. They have now started to notice that they cant sell cheap crap anymore and get away with it.. The wireless mics and transmitters/body packs have always been good but there dynamic microphones suck now..
They were the kings of dynamic microphones ( still widely used in live sound ) now they are the soundman s last resort because everyone in live sound knows if you want a good sennheiser dynamic mic better make sure its an old one built the way they made them in the old days.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 10:37:09 AM »
I am not talking vocal mics I am talking the Sennheiser 421 they went from a Alnico magnet to a Nedinium magnet * much cheaper * and differently effects sound quality. So to trick there customers into thinking it was still the same old 421 they used a weight in there microphone.

A bit of mis-information I think.....

The MD 421 II came about due to the very high manufacturing costs of the original MD 421, due to the large amount of man-hours involved.

So Sennheiser looked at several of the classic mics to see if there was a way of manufacturing them in a way that used less human labour (ie: more automatically). 

The 421 II came about due to this process and the idea was to get it sounding the same but cost less to manufacture - the weight and clip stayed the same because the original was like that - nothing at all to do with trickery!

Customers wanted it like this - when Sennheiser built a replacement for the 421 (the MD 422) no-one bought it and the replacement was discontinued and the original stayed on.

In fact I rather like the original 421 clip as you can put the mic. at any angle without the fear of it falling down as it is locked.

They also looked at the 441, but found that any change at all affected the sound, so the 441 is still built in the original way.

The more expensive manufacturing costs mean that the 441 is almost twice the price of the 421 - if the 421 was still made the same way as it was originally it would be a similar price - that's about £300 / $600 more!

Shure have done the same thing - people continued to buy the original SM58 and ignored, for the most part, the replacements.  The current SM58 is not like the original and is now made in Mexico rather than the USA (at least that is my understanding of the situation).  I think that Shure have now stopped including hum-bucking coils in the mics (Sennheiser still include hum-bucking coils) which, in effect, halves the copper costs of manufacture.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007, 10:49:26 AM »
..... That being said my favorite guitar mic is not the sm57 its the sennheiser 409 :) The original not the crapfire series... Sorry Blackfire. Or should I say BACKFIRE...

Yes, the original MD 409 was an excellent mic., but expensive to manufacture and was discontinued several years before the Blackfire series started.

The Blackfire BF509 was similar, but not the same, as the old MD409 and was included because people wanted such a mic. - it was built to sell at a price people would pay - the MD 409 was discontinued because it was too expensive and people did not buy it any more.  The Blackfire series was discontinued about 10 years ago, though.   The evolution e609 was basically the same as the 509, but this has also now been discontinued.

The current e606 and e906 are super-cardioid mics. the MD 409 was cardioid.

The original MD 409 (and MD 421, 441, etc.) was designed in the days when labour was cheap and technology was expensive - nowadays technology is cheap and labour is expensive.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.151 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com