Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR100mkii Review  (Read 135079 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Tascam DR100mkii Review
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
Here's a recent show I taped with the DR100mkII... The unit worked surprisingly well in the stealth-without-guilt situation (i.e. I had no problems finding any buttons in the dark).
As large as the DR100mkII is, it is smaller than my old Sony Pro Walkman WM-D6C the old standard. Oh how times have changed.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2012, 04:06:33 PM »
Here's a recent show I taped with the DR100mkII... The unit worked surprisingly well in the stealth-without-guilt situation (i.e. I had no problems finding any buttons in the dark).
As large as the DR100mkII is, it is smaller than my old Sony Pro Walkman WM-D6C the old standard. Oh how times have changed.

Times have changed indeed! - I think you look more suspicious at a concert if you aren't fiddling with some flashing light device!

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »
Took my MkII out for the first time last night, running through a digimod UA-5 into the digital in.  I'm very pleased with the sound, but I am concerned about external power.

EDIT: Forgot to mention initially, I had trouble running 24/96 from the preamp, but I could get locked in at 24/48.  I need to play around with it more, I'm sure, but that seems...concerning.

Another user reported earlier that recording from the UA-5 was problematic,

- it does NOT accept 24-bit from the Busman UA-5.  It DOES accept 16-bit, although that definitely limits its use as a bitbucket (until I can upgrade my preamp anyway).  I would be curious to know how it works with other pres / A/Ds

Have you checked the Mode selection?

Make sure you have set the correct mode in order to record at 96 kHz. You must be in HS mode. See pages 25-26 of the manual:

"Mode selection

You can set the operation mode used for recording and playback.

Setting the mode

1.   While pressing the ENTER/MARK button press the button to turn the power ON and open the MODE SELECT screen.

STD (default) Standard mode for using WAV files with sampling frequencies of 44.1 or 48 kHz and MP3 files

HS Mode for using WAV files with sampling frequencies of 44.1, 48 or 96 kHz

2.   Use the wheel to select the mode to use, and press the ENTER/MARK button to confirm the setting. The unit will start in the selected mode.

NOTE: The selected mode setting is retained and will be used the next time the unit power is turned ON."

I am curious about whether the UA-5 will or won't work. I also didn't think the UA-5 ever output a 16-bit signal, so the results mentioned earlier are puzzling.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline seanay

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2012, 09:41:29 PM »
Massive Dynamic--

I did have the DR-100 set to the HS setting, set to record at 24/96.  The problem was, it was not recognizing a digital signal from the UA-5 when the UA-5 was set to 96 khz.  When I changed the UA-5 to 48 khz, things ran normally.
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #229 on: May 07, 2012, 07:04:10 PM »
Massive Dynamic--

I did have the DR-100 set to the HS setting, set to record at 24/96.  The problem was, it was not recognizing a digital signal from the UA-5 when the UA-5 was set to 96 khz.  When I changed the UA-5 to 48 khz, things ran normally.

Not to belabor the point, but do the 48k files you recorded from the UA-5 to the DR-100mkii show up as 16-bit or 24-bit files in an audio editor? Still trying to understand alpine85's comment about 16-bit files. thx
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

runonce

« Reply #230 on: May 07, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »
Massive Dynamic--

Not to belabor the point, but do the 48k files you recorded from the UA-5 to the DR-100mkii show up as 16-bit or 24-bit files in an audio editor? Still trying to understand alpine85's comment about 16-bit files. thx

I think he had the recorder set to accept 16 bits - the other 8 bits are truncated...resulting in a 16 bit file.

Offline seanay

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #231 on: May 08, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »
When I dropped the files into Cool Edit Pro, they were listed as 32-bit float, 48 khz - which, I've found, is what 24-bit recordings show up as in that format.  When I encoded the WAVs to FLAC files, they came out as 24/48, so I'm fairly positive that my settings were correct on the recorder.  I'm thinking there's just an issue of picking up 96 khz from the UA-5, a problem that seems to have been experienced by more than a few people.
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline alpine85

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #232 on: May 08, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »
Massive Dynamic--

I think he had the recorder set to accept 16 bits - the other 8 bits are truncated...resulting in a 16 bit file.

I'm pretty sure I had the recorder set to HS (I had just gotten the unit and was reading the manual as I was testing, plus I had no problem recording 24-bit going straight in w/ the mics).

BUT...  there's a very good chance that I did NOT have the UA-5 "ADV" switch on!!!  I had never used the UA-5 with anything besides a JB3, so I had completely forgotten about the ADV thing.  I'll try it again when I get a chance. 

Sorry about the confusion!

MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #233 on: May 22, 2012, 12:13:29 AM »
Took the plunge...ordered the DR-100mkii today from B&H.  Looking forward to upgrading from my JB3!  It should arrive Thursday, and I hope to use it Friday at the local jazz festival to record Bela Fleck. 

Is there a rundown somewhere of SDHC cards that have been tested/are expected to work well with this deck?
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline chrisv31

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #234 on: May 24, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »
I just bought a DR100mKII and i would like to ask you something about it:
Is it possible to power a set of DPA 4021 or 4022 with it?
Thxs
DPA 4061 + MPS 6030 + LS 10 Olympus
NEUMANN KM140 + Neumann BS48i-2

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
Thxs

Probably should have thought about that before you sprung for the new recorder... ;)

It should work, though.  The Tascam puts out 48V phantom and the DPAs are pretty moderate in their current requirements.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »
Thxs

Probably should have thought about that before you sprung for the new recorder... ;)

It should work, though.  The Tascam puts out 48V phantom and the DPAs are pretty moderate in their current requirements.

If those DPA's use less than 48V, would you not be in danger of blowing them?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2012, 02:48:07 PM »
^^^ Those DPAs are spec'ed for 48V phantom (http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=item&category=233&item=24026#specifications), so it should be OK.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2012, 03:42:32 PM »
Bought a DR-100MKII and used it for the 1st time the other day. Seriously NOT IMPRESSED at all.

This comment probably belongs in the Remote Power subforum but whatever...it applies here. I also bought a Tascam BP-6AA for external power. It uses 6 AA batteries to supply 5V to the A/C power jack. I should have known it would not be efficient since 6 AA = 7.2V. They are stepping the voltage down in this box. There is a green 'on' light and a red 'low power' light. The red light came on after 1 hour. The green light turned off after 1.5 hours. It continued to power the recorder with only the red indicator on. It only lasted for a total of 4 hours. Used 2600mah AA's with phantom power on (powering AT4053a's).

How are people powering this thing (while supplying 48V phantom) for festivals?

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »
How are people powering this thing (while supplying 48V phantom) for festivals?

I can power my MBHOs for two hours with two internal Nickel-zinc AA rechargeables.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.163 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com