Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Has anyone run a V3 with the 722 ?  (Read 10492 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: Has anyone run a V3 with the 722 ?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2006, 05:37:17 PM »
Edit:  Oh and another benefit of the V3 in front is that it can feed a 16-bit signal to patchers, if that is something you like to offer.

another advantage that the V3 has, in addition to the meters, is the ability to give a 16 bit S/PDIF output to patchers.  that may or may not be a consideration.

So the V3 will output an analog signal to the 722 that will be recorded at 24 bit, and by turning on the V3 "ANSR", the V3 will output a dithered 16 bit signal via the digital outs, correct?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 06:34:35 PM »
Edit:  Oh and another benefit of the V3 in front is that it can feed a 16-bit signal to patchers, if that is something you like to offer.

another advantage that the V3 has, in addition to the meters, is the ability to give a 16 bit S/PDIF output to patchers.  that may or may not be a consideration.

So the V3 will output an analog signal to the 722 that will be recorded at 24 bit, and by turning on the V3 "ANSR", the V3 will output a dithered 16 bit signal via the digital outs, correct?

exactly,  the analog outs on the V3 are directly from the pre-amp section and completely independent of the A/D of the V3.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 06:56:16 PM »
Thanks, Jason.  +T
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 10:20:56 PM »

Don't know if it matters for your purposes, but note that V3's with serial # < V3497 have out of phase analog and digital outputs.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2006, 10:31:13 PM »

Don't know if it matters for your purposes, but note that V3's with serial # < V3497 have out of phase analog and digital outputs.

Thank Brian.  I just sent mine to Grace earlier this week.  +T

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 12:43:27 AM »
I've been basking in the single device glow of the 722..  How comparable is V2 > 722 vs. V3 line > 722?   I know that the V2 lacks the good meters of the V3, but that wouldn't matter with the 722 meters.

in theory, the V2 > 722 would be identical to the V3 (line out) > 722, because the V3 has the same pre-amp as the V2.  in actuality, Mike Grace had to change one or two minor parts in the pre-amp for the v3, so it is not absolutely identical to the V2.  in practice though, it is generally regarded as the same pre-amp.  another advantage that the V3 has, in addition to the meters, is the ability to give a 16 bit S/PDIF output to patchers.  that may or may not be a consideration.

I was thinking of the V3 when I started putting my new rig together but when a V2 became available it just made so much more sense. For about half the price I dispatched with a A>D that I wasn't going to use (sorry patchers) and meters that are redundant. I couldn't be happier with the sound though.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2006, 04:33:38 PM »
I've been basking in the single device glow of the 722..  How comparable is V2 > 722 vs. V3 line > 722?   I know that the V2 lacks the good meters of the V3, but that wouldn't matter with the 722 meters.

in theory, the V2 > 722 would be identical to the V3 (line out) > 722, because the V3 has the same pre-amp as the V2.  in actuality, Mike Grace had to change one or two minor parts in the pre-amp for the v3, so it is not absolutely identical to the V2.  in practice though, it is generally regarded as the same pre-amp.  another advantage that the V3 has, in addition to the meters, is the ability to give a 16 bit S/PDIF output to patchers.  that may or may not be a consideration.

I was thinking of the V3 when I started putting my new rig together but when a V2 became available it just made so much more sense. For about half the price I dispatched with a A>D that I wasn't going to use (sorry patchers) and meters that are redundant. I couldn't be happier with the sound though.

exact reason i sold my v3, now i need a v2 to compliment the sax tho
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ford prefect

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2006, 06:33:58 PM »
maybe post to the old thread to see if someone can rehost.

Or bump it into the archive under Open Source Audio.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com