Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church Audio ST9100 3_wire Preamp or 3-Wire BBox + Preamp chain?  (Read 4055 times)

Offline MLKLuke

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • going going...but never GONE!
    • MLK Audio
hi,
now I'm running with AT853 modded with mini XLR connectors + 3-Wire BBox (or Denecke PS2 + Samson P4) + JB3

as you know JB3 levels are not the best thing in the world...even if set at max (+12db) you will always get a quiet recording even if you're very close to the stacks

I read a lot of times that a preamp should be perfect for me and my rig: better - cleaner - powerful sound

now...taping in stealth way the best thing would be a preamp that at the same time gives power to the mics...but I would like it would give same power than my 3-Wire BBox or PS2 give now (cause I really love them, no brickwalling and high SPL)

the questions are:

1- would Church Audio ST9100 be the solution for me?

2 - would it allow my mics no to brickwall and to take very high SPL just like with 3-Wire BBox or PS2?

3 - would it be better to stay with my 3-Wire BBox and just buy a preamp to connect to it in a chain? (even if this would mean one more device, one more battery, more space, less stealth?)

well...come on...just let me know your opinions!

PS: I don't want to change the connectors of my mics so the preamp must have mini XLR inputs  8)
MLK - Luke
Mics: Schoeps MK4+Nbob Actives / AT853 (H,C,SC) / DPA 4061
Power: Tinybox v2.5 / 3-Wire BBox / CA-9200 3W / CA-UBB
Recorders: R05 / R09HR / Pocketrak C24 / Tascam DR2D
My Recordings

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
Re: Church Audio ST9100 3_wire Preamp or 3-Wire BBox + Preamp chain?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 06:14:50 PM »
You could go AT853's > Samson P4 > PS-2 > AD-20 > JB3 so that you could run digital-in on your JB3.  Used AD-20's are going for $150-$200 used.  I've heard good things about the ST9100, but you will spend more money and still be using the A/D in your JB3.  If you went with the AD-20 you would get a pretty nice pre - A/D combo for a good price.

my .02 (I'm in the process of acquiring an AD-20 myself)

EDIT:  I was actually thinking of the Church Audio ST-8 A pre with adjustable gain ($230).  You could spend a little more than you would on the ST9100 and get an AD-20 (A/D bonus).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 06:20:08 PM by cgrooves »
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline MLKLuke

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • going going...but never GONE!
    • MLK Audio
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 06:24:58 PM »
it's true...I thought about it...but my PS2 has miniplug output...I would need XLR output to go to AD20...and the whole taping equipment would become heavy and not so easy to take into a small belt-bag (I don't know how you call it in english...but I use a small bag just like Kangoos marsupial LOL!)

the Samson P4 > PS2 > AD20 would add a lot of space and weight to my rig and it would not be so stealth anymore (not considering the XLR problem)
MLK - Luke
Mics: Schoeps MK4+Nbob Actives / AT853 (H,C,SC) / DPA 4061
Power: Tinybox v2.5 / 3-Wire BBox / CA-9200 3W / CA-UBB
Recorders: R05 / R09HR / Pocketrak C24 / Tascam DR2D
My Recordings

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:56:13 PM »
Looks like the ST9100 will be the way to go for your situation.  AT853 > ST9100 > JB3 would be a compact stealth rig.  I believe the ST9100 powers the mics just like your 3 wire battery box does, it will just provide you with the gain you need.  Chris Church is a member here and I believe there are threads discussing this topic if you do a search.  Good luck!
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 11:47:19 PM »

First off I just want to say I am not trying to sell you a preamp. If you want a small preamp that has mini XLR inputs I have one that will work for you. The advantages of my preamp is I incorporate my 4.7k mod, I am now working on a way to switch it in and out so that you can bypass it in situations where your recording source is not that loud and you need more gain and headroom is not a problem. If you have any other questions please PM me I will be more then happy to answer them for you.

I also think the sampson is a good way to go too, but they are big and you will not be able to stealth very well with such a big connector and huge preamp that you will need to go with the sampson adaptors.

Ps....There is no advantage to going balanced over unbalanced, the mics always see the same voltage no matter what so there is no increased headroom with this approach. But it will allow for you to use full size mics in the future. So if you can afford two rigs a stealth rig and a full size one then get my preamp if you can not afford to have two rigs but can afford to have two sets of mics then get the sampson with a balanced input preamp.

Chris Church

hi,
now I'm running with AT853 modded with mini XLR connectors + 3-Wire BBox (or Denecke PS2 + Samson P4) + JB3

as you know JB3 levels are not the best thing in the world...even if set at max (+12db) you will always get a quiet recording even if you're very close to the stacks

I read a lot of times that a preamp should be perfect for me and my rig: better - cleaner - powerful sound

now...taping in stealth way the best thing would be a preamp that at the same time gives power to the mics...but I would like it would give same power than my 3-Wire BBox or PS2 give now (cause I really love them, no brickwalling and high SPL)

the questions are:

1- would Church Audio ST9100 be the solution for me?

2 - would it allow my mics no to brickwall and to take very high SPL just like with 3-Wire BBox or PS2?

3 - would it be better to stay with my 3-Wire BBox and just buy a preamp to connect to it in a chain? (even if this would mean one more device, one more battery, more space, less stealth?)

well...come on...just let me know your opinions!

PS: I don't want to change the connectors of my mics so the preamp must have mini XLR inputs  8)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 09:31:12 PM »
All I know is I run AT-831>CA-9100>PMD660 I very,very  pleased with the recordings I am getting.

I taped outdoor (UM SummerStage), Indoor small venue (Dickey Betts at Beacon Theater) and indoor large venues (Waters at MSG) and the each recording sounds warm and tasty!

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 09:40:29 PM »

First off I just want to say I am not trying to sell you a preamp.

I guess some people give Chris a hard time about selling gear here. Frankly I'd rather buy gear made by a taper.

And would just like to say I think Chris is an asset here. T+ Chris

Jeff~
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 09:53:20 PM »

I guess some people give Chris a hard time about selling gear here. Frankly I'd rather buy gear made by a taper.

Jeff~

Thanks some times I have done some stupid shit to deserve the hard time I have received (some times) :)  but to be honest I would rather be nice and recive prase thanks that means alot to me.

Chris Church
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:01:33 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 09:46:52 AM »

Jeff~

I agree whole heartedly.  Nobody was giving Chris a hard time (in this thread anyway).
+T to Chris for his contributions.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 03:44:38 PM »
Hey, the guy is in business to sell his product.  I have no problem with that, he produces quality stuff and also gives balanced analysis of other people's equipment and helpful tips.  Big +T from me, too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com