Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBM-1 Peak Lights  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
SBM-1 Peak Lights
« on: August 26, 2006, 11:05:27 PM »
I searched a bit and could not come up with what I was looking for. At what point do they start coming on? I taped Outformation last weekend and I had the lights going off like crazy. At one point they were on for like 2 to 3 seconds. Looking at the waveform in Wavelab the peaks kind of flatten out at one point. Does this mean clipping? If this is the case them the SBM-1 is really forgiving. I only saw a few flat points on the waveform and the lights were going nuts!

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
Re: SBM-1 Peak Lights
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 11:20:17 PM »
The lights come on usually at around -3 or -2 db.  Where it flattens out (past 0db)  in wavelab is where you clipped.  When I ran it, I tried to get the lights to just occasionally flicker.  I was usually happy with the results. 

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 12:12:09 PM »
I have to agree.  When I ran an SBM-1 I tried to rarely see the lights  When I did, not for that long.  2 to 3 seconds is way to long. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 12:15:02 PM »
2 seconds...? yikes.

i am in the minority, but i like to see my lights go off once, and then i turn the levels down ever so slightly, and i hope to never see the over lights on the sbm1 again...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline cdevs

• Taperssection Regular
  • I got a pork roll egg cheese & bacon
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 01:28:10 PM »
I'm with Macdaddy. My limited experience is that the lights (on mine) come on at 0db.
Gefell MG300s> Bumblebees> Apogee Mini-MP> Edirol R-09hr

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 01:42:21 PM »
I don't thinnk they come on at 0db, I think it's more like -2db so you do want them to come on. Like I said before I only saw the waveform flatten out once and my lights were going NUTS! I'll have to some more tests but I think the SBM-1 is pretty forgiving.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 03:12:44 PM »
no doubt it is aforgiving unit, but you are losing every iota of headroom by setting your levels so high...

i just figure that if i keep normal peaks at -2db (or just below, keeping the lights off, but just so), then i have enough headroom left for that slap of the bass or drum burst that shoots the levels up to lightin and beyond...

ymmv
-macdaddy ++

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 03:19:53 PM »
no doubt it is aforgiving unit, but you are losing every iota of headroom by setting your levels so high...

i just figure that if i keep normal peaks at -2db (or just below, keeping the lights off, but just so), then i have enough headroom left for that slap of the bass or drum burst that shoots the levels up to lightin and beyond...

ymmv

Very true. I usually only set my levels to the point where I see them come on every so oten but last weekend I had a bit to much to drink and didnt really feel like messing the levels too much. I agree that you really should leave some headroom.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 03:34:48 PM »
i like to see my lights go off once, and then i turn the levels down ever so slightly, and i hope to never see the over lights on the sbm1 again...

Thats exactly how I ran mine.  If I never saw it light, I would bump the levels slightly until I saw it go off once.

I asked someone who should know and being told that the SBM light would illuminate when it detected consecutive samples at 0db. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 03:38:38 PM »
i like to see my lights go off once, and then i turn the levels down ever so slightly, and i hope to never see the over lights on the sbm1 again...

Thats exactly how I ran mine.  If I never saw it light, I would bump the levels slightly until I saw it go off once.

I asked someone who should know and being told that the SBM light would illuminate when it detected consecutive samples at 0db. 

there are other threads on this here...

i remember one, where some folks were talking that they wanted to see those over lights dance all night long...

i couldnt imaine such a thing, and i remember saying so at the time, but to each their own...

i will say if they are dancing, it is not as bad as when that light just stays solid - they you are just topping out consistently, which is NOT what you want...

-macdaddy ++

Offline cdevs

• Taperssection Regular
  • I got a pork roll egg cheese & bacon
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 03:21:33 AM »
The whole lights-a-poppin' thing makes me think of the D-5 days, when you had to get those lights blinking pretty regularly, or end up with a whole lotta hiss.

If I've had a few beers (common at a show...), I've been known to briefly slip back into the old habit of "lettin'-em-fly". Then I sober up and remember that we're digital now.

Gefell MG300s> Bumblebees> Apogee Mini-MP> Edirol R-09hr

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 11:29:09 PM »
I asked the same thing when I first got my modSBM-1 and received conflicting answers (same as this thread).  So I tested it myself.  My "over" lights kicked in at ~-2dBFS.  The only way to know for sure is to test your SBM-1 (which it sounds like you're doing).  Once you know at what level the lights kick in, you can make an informed decision about how frequently you want 'em lighting up as you record in different scenarios - some scenarios require more headroom, some less.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

marc0789

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 02:19:14 PM »
The lights come on usually at around -3 or -2 db.  Where it flattens out (past 0db)  in wavelab is where you clipped.  When I ran it, I tried to get the lights to just occasionally flicker.  I was usually happy with the results. 

same here...occasional reds = no problem....I take it down a touch if I seen them popping up too often.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 08:45:45 PM »
I don't thinnk they come on at 0db, I think it's more like -2db so you do want them to come on. Like I said before I only saw the waveform flatten out once and my lights were going NUTS! I'll have to some more tests but I think the SBM-1 is pretty forgiving.

I've had my new (used) oade line-mod for about a month now......about a half dozen shows........looked at the waveforms in Audacity.....and agree with the Dutchman and Brian here that mine begins to glow at -2dB, and definetly produces overs if on brightly for even a *short* moment.  But, to me, that's the real reason you don't want to see these lights on at all.  ;)  YMMV

edit---spelling
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 08:04:10 AM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com