Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FM receivers  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
FM receivers
« on: August 30, 2006, 03:32:10 PM »
Anyone ever use a FM receiver to record the signal broadcast at venues for hearing assistive devices?
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline laptaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: FM receivers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 03:46:45 PM »
No, but I'd love to know what those venues are.  A walkman radio + an Edirol R-1 = nice if not perfect stealth recording.  ;D

Offline Myco

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 04:00:19 PM »
It's not a normal FM receiver like an FM radio, it has very specific bands it picks up, not the higher frequency radio broadcasts. I just picked one up on a website and I'm gonna try it out. I called the venue and asked about their offerings for people with disabilities, she said that they broadcast a special FM signal that can be picked up by a device and it broacasts the show through earphones that they supply. I found a website that sells these devices and guess what, they had an accessory that allows you to plug the receiver into a camcorder. I figured, well a small recorder would do just as well, so I'm gonna try and stealth the FM signal in the amphitheater designed for people with hearing disabilties. I have a recording of the Jerry Garcia Band that used this method and it is SWEET very crisp clean mix, although it was a wired signal not a broadcast one in those days, but it's worth a try. I'll let you know if it works.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)

Offline Myco

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 04:17:36 PM »

Offline Ryan Sims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 11:53:06 PM »
You don't worry at all about the automatic high-frequency loss with FM?
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline Myco

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 07:40:09 AM »
You don't worry at all about the automatic high-frequency loss with FM?

I do, but this is an experiment for times when I want to stealth, but it's just too difficult to deal with. We'll see how it works out, if not I know someone else who will buy this from me, so might as well try it out.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:12:01 PM »
going deaf?

search: ALD
or IEM

i have heard both, never recorded one, never plan to
but they are far from great sounding mixes
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 12:14:46 PM »
Wasn't there a discussion about this before around these parts? I vaguely remember that the signal is crap, maybe even mono, but more importantly, I thought it was something about someone getting busted doing this exact thing. Somehow I think this might really be illegal, as opposed to stealthing which is more borderline. Not sure though, might want to do a search...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 01:15:53 PM »
i think one big difference here is that Myco has at least purchased the equipment instead of borrowing one from the venue and possibly preventing someone who is actually hearing imparied from being able to use it.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 01:21:30 PM »
but if unfriendly bands shut that service down, because of some tapers recording, then we've impacted the challenged's right to that service.

very good point
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 01:26:48 PM »
but if unfriendly bands shut that service down, because of some tapers recording, then we've impacted the challenged's right to that service.

very good point

Best reason I've heard...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Myco

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 01:34:23 PM »
Already cancelled the transaction for the device. I hadn't really thought of the issues that you've brought up, thanks. Consider it aborted.

As far as I'm aware though I don't think it's a specific signal to a specific receiver, so I don't think I would be "stealing" someone elses signal thereby ruining their opportunity to hear it. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone else though so I won't do it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 01:37:05 PM by Myco »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 02:33:43 PM »
Already cancelled the transaction for the device. I hadn't really thought of the issues that you've brought up, thanks. Consider it aborted.

As far as I'm aware though I don't think it's a specific signal to a specific receiver, so I don't think I would be "stealing" someone elses signal thereby ruining their opportunity to hear it. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone else though so I won't do it.
i don't know about an ALD but an IEM does have a specific freg and you need a specific receiver to pick up the freg
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com