Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Poorly done modifications to R4... progress report  (Read 5622 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Poorly done modifications to R4... progress report
« on: September 08, 2006, 11:29:45 PM »
OK, I've started hacking my R4!

So far I've done the following:
- replaced NJM2068 opamps on Ch1/2 with AD8672.
- replaced some (*) capacitors on Ch1/2 with poly

About the opamps.  It did not help noise floor.  In fact, noise went up a bit!  Not much, but a bit.  It appears there are are two opamps for each channel, one at the mic/line inputs, using NJM2068, and a second NJM2100, driving the ADC (AKM4528VG).  I'm guessing that all the gain is being done at the first stage, and it may be hard to reduce the noise floor.  Did Busman or Oade succeed at this?  I'm not sure.  I noticed that the max gain is something like 60dB, so I'm not expecting miracles.  Anyway, I'm hoping (!) that this opamp improves the sound at least.  Results/opinions to follow.

By the way, there appears to be some funky stuff going on with Ch1/2, using a HC4052 MUX chip.  I don't understand this, and I'm not sure if it is on Ch3/4 or not.  I'm wondering if it is the mic/line selection circuitry.  I don't have a clue about this!  I would really like to understand the gain structure.

About the capacitors.  For XLR input, there are two electrolytics (10u/63v), one for each of "hot" and "cold" and they are positive at mic end where phantom power is applied through a 6k8 resistor.  This makes sense for phantom power (the caps will be correctly polarized), but not for ac input (they will not be polarized).  There are also two lytics for TRS in, this time negative end at input.  So, I did the following hack: I removed the lytic corresponding to the "hot" input on the TRS and put a 2u2 film cap there as well.  When phantom is off the input impedance is 10k.  So, here is the plan: When using non-phantom mics, put *unbalanced* in a TS input, and I will only see the film cap.  For phantom mics, put in the XLR input, and we'll see two caps, but they will be correctly polarized.  Yeah, this makes sense to me.

OK, I'm going to run some comparsions and then probably modify the other two channels.

I'm still undecided about the ADC drivers, but I'm considering something like OP264.  I need a good sounding single-sided opamp.

Whew!
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: Poorly done modifications to R4... progress report
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 01:09:34 AM »
Hey now... You're supposed to be spending all your time on the AKG actives.  Whats up? ;-}

T+ for experimenting
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 07:49:14 AM »
I'm guessing that all the gain is being done at the first stage, and it may be hard to reduce the noise floor.  Did Busman or Oade succeed at this? 
Doug claims that his transparent mod "dramatically reduces hiss" I assume that is the same thing you are talking about.

+t for experimenting.

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 07:54:23 AM »
haha your posts say LEET :P

About the opamps.  It did not help noise floor.  In fact, noise went up a bit!  Not much, but a bit.  It appears there are are two opamps for each channel, one at the mic/line inputs, using NJM2068, and a second NJM2100, driving the ADC (AKM4528VG).  I'm guessing that all the gain is being done at the first stage, and it may be hard to reduce the noise floor.  Did Busman or Oade succeed at this?  I'm not sure.  I noticed that the max gain is something like 60dB, so I'm not expecting miracles.  Anyway, I'm hoping (!) that this opamp improves the sound at least.  Results/opinions to follow.

By the way, there appears to be some funky stuff going on with Ch1/2, using a HC4052 MUX chip.  I don't understand this, and I'm not sure if it is on Ch3/4 or not.  I'm wondering if it is the mic/line selection circuitry.  I don't have a clue about this!  I would really like to understand the gain structure.

About the capacitors.  For XLR input, there are two electrolytics (10u/63v), one for each of "hot" and "cold" and they are positive at mic end where phantom power is applied through a 6k8 resistor.  This makes sense for phantom power (the caps will be correctly polarized), but not for ac input (they will not be polarized).  There are also two lytics for TRS in, this time negative end at input.  So, I did the following hack: I removed the lytic corresponding to the "hot" input on the TRS and put a 2u2 film cap there as well.  When phantom is off the input impedance is 10k.  So, here is the plan: When using non-phantom mics, put *unbalanced* in a TS input, and I will only see the film cap.  For phantom mics, put in the XLR input, and we'll see two caps, but they will be correctly polarized.  Yeah, this makes sense to me.

OK, I'm going to run some comparsions and then probably modify the other two channels.

I'm still undecided about the ADC drivers, but I'm considering something like OP264.  I need a good sounding single-sided opamp.

Whew!
  Richard

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 08:06:19 AM »
Assuming you come up with a mod you like do you have any plans to offer it to the community?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 09:37:42 AM »
Assuming you come up with a mod you like do you have any plans to offer it to the community?

Would a blackboard schematic be sufficient?  ;)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 12:27:17 PM »
One trick I use to figure out gain on each stage, is to inject a 1k tone on the input and measure the voltage on the outputs on each stage. One can assume for most stages the impedance will be 600 ohm for balanced and 10k for unbalanced. Then you will know what stage does what. I have always felt in order to get your noise down you need to have two stages, one quiet one with say +10 to +20 DB and a second +40 to +50. I hope that helps. It would be pretty cool to develope a logic type probe with a VU meter and selectable input impedance for doing these measurements.

Chris Church

Whew!
  Richard

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 02:51:51 AM »
OK, I think I'm finished hacking for now.  Until I can learn more.

I replaced the capacitors on TRS in, two caps each channel, with film caps 2u2/100V.

I haven't done any more than replacing the initial 2068 opamps.  I used AD8672 I think.

I'm stuck with the rest though.  In particular, I don't know if the remaining 2068s on that board are part of the input circuit or not.  I can't trace this sucker, it is really complicated.  I see a 2100 (dual single supply amp) is used to drive each channel of the AKM chip.  But as I said, I can't trace whether those extra opamps are used.  If so, it is much more work to replace.

Hey, Busman, I could use some help if you're willing...

Thanks!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 03:05:32 AM »
Get back to the active 480s :-} T+

Busman rocks!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 03:08:07 AM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »
What brand of capacitors are you using as replacements?
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 04:43:24 PM »
What brand of capacitors are you using as replacements?

I'm using standard polypropyline film caps.  I think any kind of *nonpolarized* cap is fine, whether polyester, polypropyline, or whatever.  My point is that *unless polarized correctly* electrolytics are suspect.  I'm not too worried if they are polarized correctly.  This is confirmed by some professional gear, like the GP DMIC-20, which uses standard 'lytics, but has a switch to short them out if you're not using phantom power.

Richard

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 04:47:23 PM »

Busman rocks!

Yes, I will get back to the 480's.  I've got to take a break and rethink some of the *mechanical* issues.

As far as Busman's mods.  Yes, they are great.  But I want to do my own work.  Why?  Well, I don't want to pay (and ship) my unit, I am by nature curious, and finally I believe that all DIY types should have access to this info.  I see no problem with a free/open mod info coexisting with some great for-profit mods.  Believe me, with the number of R4's I'm seeing, there will be lots of business for Busman, and anyone else who is willing to do mods for others.

Richard

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 09:43:39 AM »

Busman rocks!

Yes, I will get back to the 480's.  I've got to take a break and rethink some of the *mechanical* issues.

As far as Busman's mods.  Yes, they are great.  But I want to do my own work.  Why?  Well, I don't want to pay (and ship) my unit, I am by nature curious, and finally I believe that all DIY types should have access to this info.  I see no problem with a free/open mod info coexisting with some great for-profit mods.  Believe me, with the number of R4's I'm seeing, there will be lots of business for Busman, and anyone else who is willing to do mods for others.

Richard

+t
both you guys have given me great gear/info in one way or another
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 09:58:16 AM »
Why do you think electrolytics are suspect?  I use them all the time and find them 100% reliable.  Of course, I am using blackgates, jensen 4-poles, and panasonic fc series so I am spending a lot of money on them too, but the improvement in sound quality is far from subtle.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 11:34:05 AM »
Why do you think electrolytics are suspect?  I use them all the time and find them 100% reliable.  Of course, I am using blackgates, jensen 4-poles, and panasonic fc series so I am spending a lot of money on them too, but the improvement in sound quality is far from subtle.

I am saying that electrolytics are suspect *if they are not polarized* with a positive voltage.

A "good" scenario would be a blocking cap with a voltage of +48VDC (phantom power)  +/- 0.1VAC (mic signal).

A "bad" scenario would be a blocking cap with just an AC mic signal on it (eg., mic or line, but without phantom power).  In this case the voltage would fluctuate from a small positive to a small negative value.

Since electrolytics only "work" with positive voltage across them, I would be worried.  But to be honest, I don't know exactly what the effect of putting a negative voltage is.  Ideas welcome on this.

Richard

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 11:43:12 AM »
I see and understand now.  Mine are always used in polarized situations, so I misunderstood.  Do you have a picture of the internals by any chance?  I would like to see inside if I could and possibly make some suggestions.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com