Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ua-5 mod for true analog bypass  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
ua-5 mod for true analog bypass
« on: September 20, 2006, 01:14:13 PM »
for all the hackers on this board:

What are the chances of a mod that allows true analog bypass on a ua-5?  Maybe even removing the a>d and d>a completely?
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: ua-5 mod for true analog bypass
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 07:28:23 PM »
If you bypass, don't you efectively render the unit useless?  Bypassing the analog section would render the mic inputs silent. 
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »
I think he means bypassing the ADC and just using it as a pre.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 10:52:49 AM »
I think he means bypassing the ADC and just using it as a pre.

I think what he's saying is having the option to run analog outs in addition to keeping the ADC, similar to the v3. 

Looking at the UA-5, it does have those 1/4" stereo output jacks on the back corner of the unit, maybe someone could send a feed off of the mic pres to those outputs so we can have true analog pass through capabilities. 

Just a thought!  I'd defintiely be interested.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:37:54 AM »
my thoughts exactly.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 12:28:53 PM »
I just took a peek at the block diagram, and it looks like you'd have to tap in right after the op-amps. I've only been inside of the UA5 a few times and it's mostly SMT so I'd be hesitant to try this myself, but one of the UA5 gurus on the board (Busman, poorlyconditioned, etc.) may be able to shed some more light on the subject.
-s
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 02:07:37 PM »
I just took a peek at the block diagram, and it looks like you'd have to tap in right after the op-amps. I've only been inside of the UA5 a few times and it's mostly SMT so I'd be hesitant to try this myself, but one of the UA5 gurus on the board (Busman, poorlyconditioned, etc.) may be able to shed some more light on the subject.
-s

hmm, all I know if someone could find a way for clean analog bypass AND keep the a>d intact, that would be AWESOME.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 02:23:56 PM »

What are the chances of a mod that allows true analog bypass on a ua-5?  Maybe even removing the a>d and d>a completely?

What, you want to use this as a standalone Preamp?  Or do you want to supply analog outputs/patches to others?

Well, I won't be doing any more mods on the UA5 since I've moved on to other stuff (R4, AKG CK6x actives, and other stuff).

My advice would be to get a Presonus Firebox (approx $250 street).  This has a firewire interface, it has two mic *and* two line inputs, it outputs mic channels on the back (to use as a standalone pre), and the sound is awesome, much better than any of the modified UA5s IMO.

The only reason to stay with the UA5 is if need standalone operation of ADC, or if you need to run USB on your computer.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 02:52:23 PM »

What, you want to use this as a standalone Preamp?  Or do you want to supply analog outputs/patches to others?

Well, I won't be doing any more mods on the UA5 since I've moved on to other stuff (R4, AKG CK6x actives, and other stuff).

My advice would be to get a Presonus Firebox (approx $250 street).  This has a firewire interface, it has two mic *and* two line inputs, it outputs mic channels on the back (to use as a standalone pre), and the sound is awesome, much better than any of the modified UA5s IMO.

The only reason to stay with the UA5 is if need standalone operation of ADC, or if you need to run USB on your computer.

Richard

The OPTION of standalone is what I'm after, we have a lot of cameras in the shop with either rca or 1/8th audio inputs. We have some lowkey "gigs" where it would be SO MUCH easier to just run rca outs of the UA-5 into the master camera, and I wouldn't have to do any post synching and drift correction.

I guess I should run some more tests using the ua-5's rca outputs, even if it goes through the a>d/d>a.  For a couple shows I ran ua-5 > usb > laptop (24/48) and also ran the rca outs into the jb3 (16/44.1). There was a definite difference between the two, I felt that a non-audiophile could easily distinguish in a blind listening test. However, the jb3 source was still presentable, it was not terrible by any means.

After all, Doug did do a analog output mod on my ua-5 (that was when I didn't know it ran through the a/d), my thinking is that if I could just get true bypass, I'd be set.

The Presonus Firebox looks quite interesting as well. Or maybe I should just sell the ua-5 and get an aerco mp-2, it has rca outs, runs on a 9v, and is much smaller. hmm... :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com