Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need help...UA-5 newb here  (Read 2995 times)

Offline jasonw

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
Need help...UA-5 newb here
« on: October 13, 2006, 02:36:52 PM »
First of all I have read through the UA-5 FAQ (twice)

What I need to know is what do all the knobs on the front do?  I know this is a crazy question but I need to learn this thing.  Currently I am just running at853>spbattbox>Jb3.... so its pretty simple.  The UA-5 on the other hand is not that simple (to me). 

Anyone want to coach me through so I can try this out tomorrow for Trey at HOB
Mics: Franken Naks / Cp2
Pre: BM2p+ UA-5
Recorders: Iriver

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: Need help...UA-5 newb here
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 03:23:52 PM »
here is a quicky

on the front

the red circles are you levels for left and right
immediatly to the right in the blue is the phantom power buttom/light if you need phantom power, make sure it is glowing red..just push on it
directly above that is your clipping light...you will want to see that very little, but I am guessing you will use the levels on the jb3 more...
in the fuscua is your digital or analog switch...if you are running mics..use analog
below that in green you can set this to 44.1 if you are using the jb3...you can change it if you ever want 24 bit/(48 or 96 etc)
the yellow is your monitor switch..if you are monitoring with headphones...turn this on just like your phantom power...if no headphones..leave it off
the last one on the right is you power...this is EASY to accidently turn off...watch it

on the back

on the left in blue/red is your input levels if you are running via a seperate channel in (via rcas) like in a matrix
on the right in the blue is the advanced swithc...running at 16 bit..leave it off...at 24 bit turn it on....

i think that is about it....
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 03:29:50 PM by RaZoRbAcK »
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 03:31:40 PM »
What I need to know is what do all the knobs on the front do?

Have you read the manual?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 03:36:18 PM »
Is the UA5 digi-modded?

Whoops, didn't see Razorback's full post - only saw the images, earlier.  But, now that it's fleshed out a bit, a quick correction:

immediatly to the right in the blue is the phantom power buttom/light if you need phantom power, make sure it is glowing red..just push on it

Since the mics are powered by a battery box, there's no need to use phantom power, so keep it off.

FRONT
================================================================================
SAMPLE RATE :  44.1 kHz or 48 kHz, JB3 handles either
REC SOURCE  :  Analog
PHANTOM 48V :  OFF - your mics get their power from the battery box, not the UA5
SENS        :  variable, set so the UA5 "peak" light flashes occasionally, use
               JB3 level meters to adjust L/R balance *

REAR
================================================================================
ADV         :  OFF = 16-bit, ON = 24-bit (JB3 only supports 16-bit, so set OFF)
INPUT VOLUME:  variable, set so the UA5 "peak" light flashes occasionally, no
               point in using the JB3 level meters to adjust L/R balance since
               this control adjusts both channels jointly *

* Which you use - SENS on the front, or INPUT VOLUME on the back - depends on how you connect your battery box to the UA5:  via XLRs on the front, or RCAs on the back.  I recommend connecting via the XLRs on the front since they will provide better gain control.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 03:40:17 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Roland R-05

Offline jasonw

• Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 03:45:16 PM »
Hey guys....thanks so much t+ all around.

If I want to run the AT 853 through the UA-5 can I do so without the batt box and just turn the phantom power on?

What is a reccomended setting for the knobs that control the sens. of the mics. (red circles on the pic)  Will I have to wait for the show to start to set these based on the peak light?

I am trying to run this now and here is how i have it set up

at853 ( no batt box) > rca imputs
I have a optical cable coming from the back of the UA-5 from the opt. out. to the opt. in on the JB3

On the jb3 however I am getting no levels and on the UA-5 the peak light isnt coming on and I am playing with the knob on the back next to the rca ins to see what may happen and I am still getting nothing.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 03:49:02 PM »
the rcas wont supply power to the mics..so you will have to run your bat box...
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:51:47 PM »
If I want to run the AT 853 through the UA-5 can I do so without the batt box and just turn the phantom power on?

No.  You do not want to run phantom power to your mics.  So do NOT plug the mics into the XLRs on the front and turn the phantom power on.

What is a reccomended setting for the knobs that control the sens. of the mics. (red circles on the pic)  Will I have to wait for the show to start to set these based on the peak light?

You'll have to wait til showtime to set the gain (whether SENS knobs on the front or INPUT VOLUME on the back).
Roland R-05

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 04:40:59 PM »

On the jb3 however I am getting no levels and on the UA-5 the peak light isnt coming on and I am playing with the knob on the back next to the rca ins to see what may happen and I am still getting nothing.

OK, I hope my memory is working here. My first use of the UA-5 was nearly identical to yours.

Make sure you set your JB3 to optical input. I assume you will also set to WAV, which will not have any options as you can only record at 16 bit 44.1. this will effectively render your JB3 as a bit bucket and the UA5 as the processor. You will not need to set any levels on the JB3.

My AT 853's were modded, but as I recall when I used them with the UA-5, I went through the RCA's on the back and used a Battery Box and did not use phantom power. It is a little awkward though, because you have to set the levels using the small knob on the back, the ones next to the XLR jacks weill not work with this set up.

For me, this is why I eventually invested in another set of mics (AT3035) that had XLR jacks and for which I could use Phantom power.

That said, the time I did use the AT 853's, I did get a fantastic recording. It ran a little hot (again hard to reach the levels with the UA-5 in a bag), but the sound was clear and crisp.

Have fun! ;D ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jasonw

• Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 05:09:03 PM »
^^^ thanks man.  Yeah I finally got it working just as you mentioned above.  Cant wait to test it out.  Thanks for all your help everyone

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com