Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Phase inversion....why/when?  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Phase inversion....why/when?
« on: October 19, 2006, 09:46:15 AM »
curious..

most studio level (and some portable) preamps have phase inversion switches.
why ?
when would you want to use this.  I understand what it does, but I dont understand why someone would want to use it.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Phase inversion....why/when?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 12:18:57 PM »
When mixing several souces together phase becomes very important.
An example:

Mixing a SBD feed with an audience microphone feed. You may want the phase to be reversed on the microphone feed as the PA signal may be out of phase with your microphones.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:38:24 PM »
When doing sound I most often use the phase reversal on the drum kit mics.  Some guys bring in a bunch of mics for their kit, and with that many mics phase can be an issue. I try to keep it simple with a kick, snare, HH, OH, OH, and Tom. But some guys want every little toy mic'ed, so what can you do.  It has also comes in very handy with acoustic instruments that have both an internal mic and a pickup.  Sometimes they will be out of phase.  During sound check I always check phasing on  these types of things.  Sometimes the difference is night and day.  It has also been helpful in a situation where a band is doing a single mic style show, except I like to run xy cards right underneath the LD mic so I can get better coverage.  There have been times when doing this that it sounded much better with the LD out of phase to the SD's down below.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 12:45:12 PM »
An example:

Mixing a SBD feed with an audience microphone feed. You may want the phase to be reversed on the microphone feed as the PA signal may be out of phase with your microphones.

qft.  I see this a lot.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 01:23:48 PM »
You might need it if you've got a V3 running in front of it, LOL! I kid, I kid...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 01:27:07 PM »
Brad hit it on the head for drums. In my case mixing in a small club I get a TON of bleed from all the instruments on stage through the vocal mics. Sometimes switching the phase on the vocal mics can help keep some of the guitar out of the house. In the studio we'd do two or three mics on a guitar cabinet at one time and flipping the phase on them in different combinations could give wach one different tonal qualities in relation to the others.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 01:37:24 PM »
An example:

That's the first thing i check when doing my mixes. Adding stage mics can throw phase out of whack very easily. Sometimes you only need to swicth on channel.....sometimes 2....cm
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 01:55:24 PM »
how can you tell if youre mixing two sources that they are out of phase from each other?
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

kskreider

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 02:05:57 PM »
how can you tell if youre mixing two sources that they are out of phase from each other?

When you have the waveforms lines up, one wave form has a 'valley' where the other has a 'peak'.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 02:35:35 PM »
An example:

That's the first thing i check when doing my mixes. Adding stage mics can throw phase out of whack very easily. Sometimes you only need to swicth on channel.....sometimes 2....cm

Yeah, my comment was aimed at what most folks here would use the phase switch for. As Brad and other pointed out it is invaluable when mixing many different microphones/ sources togther in a more complex application. BTW, I suggest to Jon at Naiant.com (the guy that makes the MSH-1O's among others) to include a phase inverter in his product line. Now he does: http://naiant.com/studiostore/cleverdevices.html
The cost per device is $12.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 06:24:57 PM »
interesting.
I guess that it wouldn't be anything we would use "in the field" ... for the most part then.  dealing w/just two channels and all.

+T

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 06:45:44 PM »

I always try flipping the phase on one channel to see how it sounds. That's a good way too tell....

also, you would be surprised how many sbd's are out of phase.....
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 07:47:45 PM »

I always try flipping the phase on one channel to see how it sounds. That's a good way too tell....

also, you would be surprised how many sbd's are out of phase.....

interesting, Ill have it give it a whirl the next time i mix two sources.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 08:42:00 PM »
interesting.
I guess that it wouldn't be anything we would use "in the field" ... for the most part then.  dealing w/just two channels and all.

+T

As long as you have separate tracks "absolute polarity" people refer to it incorrectly as phase :_) can always be fixed in post. But once you mix the sources to stereo that's it. So if you have more then three mics and they all have there own tracks polarity is not important until you get home and mix it down. Then you can try and reverse things. But if you can do it at the mic input of a preamp that is always the best way. Because sound cards/Digital uses a process that can change the sound. 

This is why good consoles and good mic preamps have Polarity switches because when it is inverted in the input stage of a preamp its absolutely correct with no discrepancies when its done in the digital domain depending on software/hardware sometimes errors in phase are introduced because the signal is not 100% converted to 180 degrees it might be 179.9 this is called phase error, and its not a big deal if its a very very small amount of error, the real problem is when its not so small of an error and all of a sudden your recordings sound like crap. So its always better to do it at the event (polarity) if possible EDIT. But you need a good set of headphones and a good set of ears to hear it sometimes, other times its as plain as black and white..
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 09:52:28 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RebelRebel

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 09:36:51 PM »

Quote from: Chris"no period" Church
This is why good consoles and good mic preamps have Polarity switches because when it is inverted in the input stage of a preamp its absolutely correct with no discrepancies when its done in the digital domain depending on software/hardware sometimes errors in phase are introduced because the signal is not 100% converted to 180 degrees it might be 179.9 this is called phase error

http://www.turneraudio.com/tech/phase.html

http://www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/p/phase.html

http://sound.westhost.com/pcmm.htm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com