Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ua5 usb question  (Read 2463 times)

Offline eclark

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
ua5 usb question
« on: November 24, 2006, 05:38:50 PM »
im sure there has to be some way to create a "usb loop" that will do the same thing as the digimod. im a little bit hesitant to mod this thing just b/c of the fact that i cant use it with my comp every again (i know there are some switches you can make, etc). but what exactly does the computer's usb controller do to the data that comes out of the ua5? i wouldnt think it would do anything. so if you could make some sort of external device that would just resend the signal to the ua5, then wouldnt that be just as effective?

any thoughts?
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Re: ua5 usb question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 05:48:00 PM »
im sure there has to be some way to create a "usb loop" that will do the same thing as the digimod. im a little bit hesitant to mod this thing just b/c of the fact that i cant use it with my comp every again (i know there are some switches you can make, etc). but what exactly does the computer's usb controller do to the data that comes out of the ua5? i wouldnt think it would do anything. so if you could make some sort of external device that would just resend the signal to the ua5, then wouldnt that be just as effective?

any thoughts?

The digimod doesn't stop you from using the ua-5 with your computer in the sense that you can still send audio from the ua-5 to the computer, but not vice versa.

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 06:14:10 PM »
does the opti out light turn on if there is no digi mod and not connected to a comp?

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 06:45:39 PM »
does the opti out light turn on if there is no digi mod and not connected to a comp?

I don't think so. I remember back when I tried a digimod on my first ua-5, I could tell I had done it properly when the optical out lit up while not connected to a pc....

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 09:56:14 PM »
Emery,
Google UA-5 modification and there are pics and DIY instructions about how to solder a switch to the UA-5 to turn on and off the stand alone modification.

Anyone have any info about how to mod the inputs?  A la Oade or Busman?  I picked up a UA-5 to mess around with.  Pretty sure I could Digi-mod it with all the info out there via google.  But Would like to T-mod it or something similar.

THanks for any info.

I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 11:46:18 PM »
See richard's (poorlyconditioned's) post in this thread.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 12:39:13 AM »
just finished my Digimod. WOW! i seriously feel great. first time using a soldering iron etc. also made some cables to run from my dvd battery to the ua5. i cant believe i got this thing working.
kevin its not too hard, seriously. if you have never soldered before i would practice on some crappy circuit board from an old phone or something laying around your house. its kinda tricky when you get in there.   good luck, let me know how it goes. also i think im set on buying that jb3, ill send you a pm though.

im hoping to try to mod those preeamps next. all this electronic stuff is making me horny  :o  lol

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 10:32:38 PM »
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com