Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Electronics Geeks Please Help (Battery Box + MT Dongle)  (Read 2523 times)

Offline insanescott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Electronics Geeks Please Help (Battery Box + MT Dongle)
« on: March 23, 2007, 06:17:45 PM »
I am currently trying to build a 2 wire battery box to a Dongle for my Microtrack.  I built a 2 wire battery box several months ago and recently I got some information on how to build a MT Dongle.  I spliced the output wires of the battery box into left, right and ground.  I connected the ground to each 1/4in plug on the Dongle end of the box.  Also, I connected the left from the battery box to the left 1/4in plug and the right to the right 1/4in plug.  For some reason my left and right tracks are linked and are just producing a mono signal from both mics.  Both mics are coming in both ears.  I have included a really simple diagram of what I have done below.  If anyone can help I would really appreciate it, because I have been pulling my hair out for days and don't know where to go with here.  I believe that I am hooking my grounds incorrectly.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
Re: Electronics Geeks Please Help (Battery Box + MT Dongle)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:26:31 PM »
doube check to see if you've shorted something.  too much solder in one area maybe?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:54:14 PM »
The "-" wire should go to the "sleeve" of the 1/4" connnector.

The "+" wire should go to *both* the "ring" and the "tip" (ie., they are shorted together) for unbalanced input.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:57:30 PM »
I am currently trying to build a 2 wire battery box to a Dongle for my Microtrack.  I built a 2 wire battery box several months ago and recently I got some information on how to build a MT Dongle.  I spliced the output wires of the battery box into left, right and ground.  I connected the ground to each 1/4in plug on the Dongle end of the box.  Also, I connected the left from the battery box to the left 1/4in plug and the right to the right 1/4in plug.  For some reason my left and right tracks are linked and are just producing a mono signal from both mics.  Both mics are coming in both ears.  I have included a really simple diagram of what I have done below.  If anyone can help I would really appreciate it, because I have been pulling my hair out for days and don't know where to go with here.  I believe that I am hooking my grounds incorrectly.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I am sure you already know this but I just want to make sure. What ever you do if you run your microtrack with the 1/4 inch inputs "unbalanced" as Richard sugested make sure you never turn the phantom power on! :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 09:00:46 PM »

I am sure you already know this but I just want to make sure. What ever you do if you run your microtrack with the 1/4 inch inputs "unbalanced" as Richard sugested make sure you never turn the phantom power on! :)

Oops!  I got it wrong.

It should be:
   gnd(-) goes to: sleeve and ring (shorted), and (+) goes to *tip*.

Yes, I'm not sure what phantom power will do, but many "mono" 1/4" plugs, like guitar cables, etc, have sleeve and ring as a single metal piece, ie., shorted.

You could also just use mono plugs for this mic input too.

Good luck with your project.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 11:20:11 PM »

Can't tell for sure from your wiring, but make sure the audio common for both left/right channel pickups are also connected to common ground as with the minus (-) terminal of the battery with all grounded commons going to the 'sleeve + ring' of the TRS plug input.  Looks like you used unbalanced TS plugs (without the 'ring') so this takes care of grounding the (-) ring connections

Suggest taping over the phantom power slide switch in OFF position so impossible to fry your mics by accidental high voltage.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline insanescott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 01:05:20 AM »
Hey guys.  Thanks for all the help.  I tried virtually every combination of possibilities.  Here is what finally worked.  I didn't connect the ground to the right channel.  I only grounded the left 1/4 plug, and everything seemed to work correctly.  Thanks for the info on the phantom power.  I will be taping over the phantom power switch asap.  I am glad this finally worked.  Thanks for the suggestions again.

Scott

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com