Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help me make a TOUGH upgrade decision...Please, I am so indecisive!  (Read 13556 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Help me make a TOUGH upgrade decision...Please, I am so indecisive!
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2005, 07:19:32 PM »
nick-IMO feature set is a great deal why i bought the v3, its a tank, has pretty lights, has 3 digi-errr 4 digi outs, and has easy powering options, also has HPFilters and just an all around better build quality, you get what you pay for!

i like the sound of the ua5's alot, but theyre feature set is bunk IMO, phantom switch right near the gain knobs, no levels, well crappy ones, and feels like an erector set, thin aluminum!

just MO of course!

I've been stung by the phantom switch being right next to the gain knobs, but once you make that mistake you're VERY careful to not do it again. The levels suck, but combined with a SVU-1 or 2 for another small fee ($50-100) it's definitely doable. And by running the SVU I can leave everything in my Nova 5 and just pull out the SVU and monitor my levels from a distance.

I didn't realize the V3 has 4 digi outs? So you can provide 3 digital patches while your serving your JB3?

if the right cables are around!

it has standard: one coax output, one AES1 which is a consumer aes digital signal, an AES2 which is a pro digital feed, and if modified has an optical out! so yes, 4 digi outs and 2 balanced xlr outs(which i have def used many times)

oh yeah, and an AES signal is on a 3-pin xlr like a mic cable but has 110 ohm cabling instead!

like i said, ya get what ya pair for IMO
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2005, 07:53:49 PM »
I tend to agree with ya Bean..I have heard some moded UA-5 tapes and will easily say that they are very close to a V3 in sound...but sound is not the only reason you pay more...its built to withstand a nuclear attack, is very functional and easy to use, has real level meters along with many options for output......not to mention probably one of the better companies out there when it comes to superior customer service and quick turn aroun on any needed repairs or mods....and that is worth more to me just with that.

I tend to tell people to add to their mic collection if they have money to burn..that is what makes the difference in sound the most...I am a big fan of the TL's and will always recommend those...but the other options given are good also
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2005, 08:16:15 PM »
there ya go..
to each their own.  I agree on build quality.  there really is no comparrison between the edirol and grace. 
but taping for me is all about what I hear at home.  everything esle between the lines melts away at that point.
so I try to pay for sound I like.  extra cool features are nice too.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2005, 08:42:51 PM »
there ya go..
to each their own. I agree on build quality. there really is no comparrison between the edirol and grace.
but taping for me is all about what I hear at home. everything esle between the lines melts away at that point.
so I try to pay for sound I like. extra cool features are nice too.

+T for that, to each his own :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2005, 10:09:45 PM »
You forgot to mention the optical mod on the V3 is extra...I have no idea how much more but that figures into the equation if you run a JB3.  The UA-5 has them standard.

Erector set feeling, yes.  The UA-5 weighs nothing so an argument can made about the weight you'd save (and it is a non-factor if you got the thing in a well padded bag).  The box at it's cheapest with no mods was something like $250....that is $1100 less than the V3 new.  The difference is huge between the stock and V3, The difference seems to be slight with the T+ mod in place.  So Nick has a point.   But the reality is you are paying probably at least $550 for the Pmod and another $225 for the change to a T+ mod.  That will be at least $800 all up after the shipping and handling, I suspect.  I have seen used V3s for as low as $1100.  So, you are saving 300-400 dollars.  Not 800.

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2005, 10:48:48 PM »
Damn...thanks for all the spirited discussion.  This was exactley what I have been looking for.  I am not as experienced as the rest of you and have only run this one rig so I desperately needed these opinions. 

I don't know still.  I am leaning more towards the V3.  I am lusting after the V3 right now and I don't think I am lusting for some LDs.  But I am gonna listen to a few more combos and see.  I have the money now to get the V3 so I think I should do it, cause I can save up for some TLs a hell of a lot quicker than a V3.  And if I end up getting the T+ mod UA5 and some LDs, then decide I want the V3, it is a much more expensive proposition and I know I won't want to get rid of the mics too to afford the V3.

So basically, I have no idea yet.  But it is looking like V3.  I guess I am no real hurry.  Maybe I should just run the km140s with the digi mod UA5 for a few shows and see how I feel then.
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2005, 10:57:48 PM »
well, I am not going to argue a V3 either...I love mine...and you will love yours.... 8)
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2005, 01:18:33 AM »
something that no one has mentioned, & the deciding factor of why I bought a T-Mod+ UA5 over a V3, is the ability to run an "on the fly" matrix w/ the UA5.  If you have the ability to get SBD patches consistently then this is a major advantage, imo.

FWIW, I paid $625 for my UA5 brand new.

I would be paying a whole hell of a lot more than $625 when it's all said and done.  $550 for a Pmod in the yardsale, $225 for the mod, shipping both ways would probably be $20.  So that's $800 not including a SVU1.  So for 900 I don't really know at this point.  If someone had a T+ mod for sale it would obviously a bit less than $800 so I would consider that, but I am starting to rule out the option of buying a different oade mod and sending it to be modded.  That doesn't seem to make much sense anymore.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2005, 07:05:45 AM »
ok...625 new...but unavailable.
vs. $1300 for the v3.  if the Oades still had them, it would ber a no brainer.

you certainly CANT  GO WRONG with a V3.  it will hold its value, for sure.
the UA5s....now a rarity...might even go up a little in value depending on demand.
imagine that.

the V3 is the casts ass, and if money were no object i'd own one still.  I had the pleasure of running a lot of mics through mine.  ST-250, MK4, 480, 4022, 414s, 4071s, 140s and an AKG binaural head.  it brought the best ouf of each.
Wish my R4 sounded 1/2 as good. 

lets hear it for the V4.  a V3 w/a CF slot perhaps?  or a super fat 72000rpm 3.5" hdd.
:)  here's hoping.  Doug was just dreaming about the CF slot in his forum yesterday.  Wouldnt that be the bomb?

I'll through another option at you.
the fostex FR2.  Tell Doug to build you one that sounds like a v3..or a 148 like Carls does.  he can do it.  that box offers A LOT of options for him to tinker his magic into.  Pick up a 5gb pcmica hdd and happily record at 24/48.  why not?  not much more than a v3 (w/o the opti mod).  And then you get the best of all worlds.  great features, nice monitoring, good level control, robust build quality.  can't go wrong w/that either.

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2005, 07:26:30 AM »
there are not that many t-mod's around to begin with, and even fewer t-mod+ boxes.
if you want the transparent sound, you might as well buy a v3 b/c it will not be that much more expensive, unless you can find a t-mod that you can get the PLUS mod done to.  imo, the ua5's sound SO much better w/ the PLUS mod that i wouldn't invest in one without it. from the tapes i've heard the t-mod+ sounds very close to the v3 (as others have echoed) and the w-mod+ sounds very similiar to the m148 sound.  i'd like to see what others think about the m148 / wmod+ comparison b/c i am wondering if the 148 is worth the extra $...........  ??? 
tim

(oade ua5 price list)

$289.00 UA-5 DIGI-MOD
$339.95 UA-5 DIGI-MOD & Battery Pack   

$525.00 UA-5 PMOD
$579.95 UA-5 PMOD & Battery Pack   
$649.95 UA-5 PMOD PLUS
$689.95 UA-5 PMOD PLUS & Battery Pack   

$500.00 UA-5 TMOD
$549.95 UA-5 TMOD & Battery Pack   
$624.95 UA-5 TMOD PLUS
$664.95 UA-5 TMOD PLUS & Battery Pack   

$500.00 UA-5 WMOD
$549.95 UA-5 WMOD & Battery Pack   
$624.95 UA-5 WMOD PLUS
$664.95 UA-5 WMOD PLUS & Battery Pack

man i hope you can find a 148, from what I see they hardly come up to be sold.
ray

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2005, 05:08:19 PM »
Does the V3 do peak hold or anything like it?

It has a red clip LED that stays lit if you hit 0dB. Does not hold for peaks below clip though.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2005, 05:28:46 PM »
There is a preowned V3 in the retail space you might want to look into.  If it's a good deal it might help you make up your mind.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2005, 12:36:50 AM »
How much should I pay for a new opti mod V3?

I have gotten a few quotes and I just want to make sure I am getting a good deal.  I have been quoted 1450, 1425, and 1395.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2005, 12:56:22 AM »
How much should I pay for a new opti mod V3?

I have gotten a few quotes and I just want to make sure I am getting a good deal. I have been quoted 1450, 1425, and 1395.

Considering the optical mod is a $200 value, those are real nice prices, IMO. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2005, 10:29:17 AM »
I myself am hoping the micro tracker will solve all the world's problems - famine, disease, drought, 24/96..  And since it appears to have coax in, will take a feed direct from a non-opti V3 or minime.

When going into a jb3, I currently use a HOSA with AES in, opti out with my minime.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com