Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: analogue transfer advice?  (Read 2798 times)

Offline goldenbreast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
analogue transfer advice?
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:54:11 AM »
now that ive recorded a show onto my md player (sony mz-r55) i need to transfer it to my comp. im guessing it will have to be a analogue transfer...

any tips and advice on how to do this?, i have audacity which ive heard is good...

thanks in advance

Alex

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: analogue transfer advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 12:54:58 PM »
You can xfer it digitally if you know someone with an RH1.  Otherwise you can just plug it in to your line in from the headphone socket and use Audacity to do the job.  Audacity works fine and the price is right. 

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:07:53 PM »
The recorder has a line out.  There absolutely no reason on God's green earth you would need to use the headphone jack to transfer.

If you don't have it already got to Radio Shack or any electronics store and buy a cable with a 1/8" male stereo plug on each end.  Go from the line out of your recorder to the line in on your sound card.  Go to the Windows sound mixer choose properties for recording devices.  Make sure line in is selected and at 100% volume, otherwise you won't get the complete level of your recording.  Use whatever audio software you have, Adobe Audition, Soundforge, etc...

If you don't have any of those Audacity is free and easy to use.  Choose to record a new file at 44.1KHz/16 bit which is CD standard.  Save it as a single WAV file and use CD Wave to split the tracks.  As a matter of fact, you can even use CD Wave to record and save yourself a step.

Last step is burn to CD or encode to whatever format you like. 

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 05:43:55 PM »
post on ts asking for someone to xfer mds digitally.  you should be able to find someone to do it for you.

Offline bravoland

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 08:54:20 PM »
In reply to the above post about setting line in recording level to 100%. 

Is this absolutely recommended?  I have the show and can only go analog out of minidisc to line in..

where should i put he volume on the minidisc playing out  vol ranges from 1-20.

I just copied the show over using 13 as the volume on the recorder and 85% on the line in rec. in windows

should i recopy over?  It seems to sound fine..but i am far from an expert.

Thanks in advance

Offline goldenbreast

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 07:14:18 AM »
post on ts asking for someone to xfer mds digitally.  you should be able to find someone to do it for you.

ive had a look at some audacity guides and im completely baffled!. its too overwhelming trying to figure any of it out.

the soundcard has a 'digital' input - is that the right one. the md player has a 'line in' and 'line out'. would this work?.

if anyone is based in the london area who can do a digital transfer please pm me

thanks

Alex

Offline Petrus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 10:41:58 AM »
There are MD rack players with digital outs. I have one. If you have a decent sound card on your PC it has digital ins. Maybe you can find a used rack size MD player somewhere if you need to do more of these transfers. Digital out from MD gives clean 16/44.1 WAV files with no need to set any levels.

Offline goldenbreast

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 02:44:44 PM »
^^^

my soundcard is a creative labs sound blaster audigy 2, PCI with dolby digital 5.1, it has a digital in. would i connect the cable into the digital in into the soundcard and then the other end into the line out?. im trying to find step by step guides on how to do the analogue transfer on google but havent really found anything that is simple to follow...any 'audacity for dummies' guides around?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 05:13:03 AM by goldenbreast »

Offline Petrus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 11:38:56 AM »
Digital in takes only digital signals, has to come from digital out. Using digital connections you are basically just doing a data copy, no level setting, no lost quality.

Offline goldenbreast

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 12:48:49 PM »
well in that case im not sure where im supposed to plug the connector into the soundcard :(

my friend did the transfer of it on his boss br-900 and its up on dime

Offline dimm0k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 10:24:11 PM »
In reply to the above post about setting line in recording level to 100%. 

Is this absolutely recommended?  I have the show and can only go analog out of minidisc to line in..

where should i put he volume on the minidisc playing out  vol ranges from 1-20.

I just copied the show over using 13 as the volume on the recorder and 85% on the line in rec. in windows

should i recopy over?  It seems to sound fine..but i am far from an expert.

Thanks in advance

I'm no expert either, but I followed what a sticky post on the minidisc forums...  set the MD to play around volume 26 and look at the line in level meter in Audacity to see if there's any clipping.  If not then you can raise the line in volume either in audacity or Windows until you get close to clipping.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.204 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com