Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I'm experiencing a recording issue with my Sony MZ-N1  (Read 767 times)

Offline Pieteker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I'm experiencing a recording issue with my Sony MZ-N1
« on: November 09, 2023, 05:49:18 PM »
Hi,

Earlier today, I was recording an amplified acoustic show (sound levels averaging around 90-95 dB), and I noticed that my Sony MZ-N1 automatically added track marks and stopped/resumed recording during the show. This is really annoying because now I have only bits of the recording and not the full performance.

My setup was AT831's > BB > MD (line-in, mic sensitivity set to low, recording level at 17/30).

I'm not sure what I did wrong in this setup.

P.S. It seems that this issue only occurs when I'm recording through the line-in. When I record silence through the mic-in, it continues recording until I manually stop it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline The Other Chris

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My list:
Re: I'm experiencing a recording issue with my Sony MZ-N1
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 06:03:49 PM »
How old is the recorder?  Had issues with a couple MD's when I first started taping.  Has it been anywhere near a magnet or speaker?

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 02:14:10 AM »
It was released in 2002. I bought it on a online marketplace a couple of weeks ago. I don’t know it’s past very well, but it’s in excellent condition judging the overal look of the MD body. I replaced the internal gumstick battery.

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 05:28:59 AM »
Also: When I’m using a battery box (12v) to power my mics, could I also plug them into the mic-in socket (plug in power)? Will the mic then still be powered by the battery box or the PIP of the N1?

Thanks for your help 🙂

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 06:22:01 AM »
Was the manual included when you bought this recorder? If not, you might want to find it on line. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/product/mz-n1/manuals

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 06:22:22 AM »
Could it be that my levels were set too low, and that it misread the talking for silence?

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 06:24:23 AM »
Was the manual included when you bought this recorder? If not, you might want to find it on line. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/product/mz-n1/manuals

I have it (and read it).

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 06:26:53 AM »
I remember when i had some Sony MZRH1 units when i would get a SBD feed into the Line in there would be a ton of tracks like what your experiencing.

However it wasn't really an issue because they were seamless splits....just a little more work in post.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 09:31:10 AM »
Also: When I’m using a battery box (12v) to power my mics, could I also plug them into the mic-in socket (plug in power)? Will the mic then still be powered by the battery box or the PIP of the N1?

Yes, and you can do that when necessary with any recorder that features separate mic and line in ports.  Mics will be powered by the battery box.  It will not matter if PIP is engaged or not. 

Wise to consider moving from minidisc to a more modern recorder that uses SD cards such as robei's R-05! 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 09:45:16 AM »
I have the R-09HR, but I really liked the super small size of the N1.

Thank you all!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com