Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Has the Microtrack "settled down" yet?  (Read 13417 times)

Offline jtessier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Has the Microtrack "settled down" yet?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 10:39:44 AM »
The only remaining significant issue for me is that the device does not pass signal to either the headphone output nor to the rca outputs when using the SPDIF input.  In their message to me, M-Audio claims that this was fixed on the most recent firmware upgrade but I just moved and all my gear is packed away and I cannot test it.  Can anyone else confirm that this is now working?

That tech must have been misinformed.  From everything I've heard and read, the S/PDIF won't monitor.  There were issues with analog monitoring that were broken and then fixed and the tech was probably confusing things about that.  I've got the latest beta running (b9) and it still doesn't monitor S/PDIF nor does the release note say that it should.  Be nice if it did but so far, no.

J.T.

cmoorevt

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 11:01:29 AM »

That tech must have been misinformed.  From everything I've heard and read, the S/PDIF won't monitor.  There were issues with analog monitoring that were broken and then fixed and the tech was probably confusing things about that.  I've got the latest beta running (b9) and it still doesn't monitor S/PDIF nor does the release note say that it should.  Be nice if it did but so far, no.

J.T.

Thanks.  That is what I thought.  I have b9 as well and hadn't seen any mention of this feature being added until the tech told me.

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 11:04:47 AM »
Did they fix the 2GB issue(s) yet?
I mean the 2GB is not 2.000.000.000 bytes but 2*1024*1024*1024 bytes but also the 2GB seamless split `feature`.
How can one call a recorder '2496' when It cannot do seamless splits?  ???
At 24/96 the datarate is 562,5 KB/s.
2.000.000.000 bytes run out in less than one hour. (3472 seconds or just short of 58 minutes)
So you cannot seriously record a concert at 24/96 on the MT.
Yes, I have a MT and want these bugs to be fixed.

Very few company's use the correct numbers for capacity, and it ain't gonna be fixed.  This has already been discussed at length.  Neither will the seemless split be fixed, it ain't gonna happen, we all need to accept that, or move to a different recorder.  Just because it can only record less than an hour at 24/96  before it reaches the 2 gig limit does not negate the fact that it IS a 24bit.96khz recorder.  Not everyone who uses this unit is recording multi-hour concerts, there are other uses in which a little under an hour of 24/96 before a manual split would be perfectly acceptable.  You can indeed record a concert using 24/96 if you have a big enough CF card, just split the fiile at a convient time in between songs, done.  And if that's not acceptable for the situation, use another sample rate/bit depth.  Not trying to be a dick here, just kinda tired of people beating a dead horse on these issues.  (wipes forehead, pfew)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:10:20 AM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 01:03:41 PM »
OK, so I am looking around again.For a new recorder.
Just A Sony M1 that eats CF cards instead of 4mm DAT tapes?

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 02:35:14 PM »
Scooter -- thanks, I'm with you on that one.  The MT is what it is, and has limitations, but works well (for me at least) within those limitations.  So it doesn't have seamless auto split -- the R09 doesn't have a digital in, but you don't constantly hear how crappy the R09 is since they didn't see fit to include a digi-in.  We're starting to get a pretty big selection of portable 24 bit recorders, but none that meet everyone's needs (small, cheap, reliable, digi-in, whatever).

udovdh -- on that note, it depends what you want.  If you mean an M1 that isn't used with a digital input, maybe the R09 is what you want.

If you truly want an M1 that takes CF cards for digital input, I'd strongly recommend the MT.  That is, I'm assuming by M1 you mean you want a 16bit recorder.  I haven't heard of much in the way of issues with the MT used for 16bit.  The issues folks seem to have pretty much relate to the MT as a 24bit recorder.

If you are wanting a 24bit version of the M1, well...that's another matter.  I don't think there is one yet IMO.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 02:51:44 PM »
FWIW, I spent the weekend recording at an outdoor "Rib Festival", although it was so hot, most people didn't seem to cotton to my brand of "ribbing".

Anyway I digress...I recorded 7 shows over 3 days, and temps reached 101 degrees. Due to the stealth nature of the event, my knapsack was sealed and you could have cooked ribs on top of it off the heat. My backup JB3 quit two times from the heat in the worst of it, but the MT was flawless and while hot and humid, it did not flinch at the weather conditions, not a single problem.

Also, I have always found the meters pretty good after learning how to read them, but the blinking red lights were really a big help for setting levels, when glancing in my semi zipped steamy knapsack.

:veryevil:  <-----Small pic of my knapsack after the event
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline buffalofloyd

• Taperssection Newbie
  • the quickness of the eye deceives the mind
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 08:24:18 AM »
Had mine since they first came out last fall.  I bought it because I wanted the digi input and wanted something stealthable.  With dat media becoming less available and the attraction of never having to transfer a tape at real time, this was a no-brainer for me. 

Haven't had one problem other than dumb stuff I've done(like forgetting to set the hold switch).  As others have noted, there are some quirks, but once you firgure them out everything is fine.  Learning to read the levels takes some time, but I've got it so I peak right around -2 almost every time out.  Stealthed with it several times and never had a problem.  I also would agree that the internal battery sucks, but I have one of the 4xAA USB battery packs and have never had any power issues. 

I heard back from M-Audio the other day who say that a seemless 2GB split will not happen nor will decibel numbers on the levels.  Not a huge issue for me because I'm not doing 24/xx and the manual new-file-start procedure works fine for me when I need it and as I mentioned above, I've got the levels down.

The only remaining significant issue for me is that the device does not pass signal to either the headphone output nor to the rca outputs when using the SPDIF input.  In their message to me, M-Audio claims that this was fixed on the most recent firmware upgrade but I just moved and all my gear is packed away and I cannot test it.  Can anyone else confirm that this is now working?

could you possibly point me in the direction of the USB battery packs?  thanks
Core Sound Stealthy Cardoids > M-Audio Microtrack

cmoorevt

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 09:20:09 AM »
I wish I could.  Somebody pm'd me about this yesterday and when I went to send him the link, I found that the packs I bought are apparently no longer being made.  I bought mine from the link provided in the first post on this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49161.0

Might be worth a call to see if they have any left in the warehouse.

Offline batchain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 11:17:23 AM »
I wish I could.  Somebody pm'd me about this yesterday and when I went to send him the link, I found that the packs I bought are apparently no longer being made.  I bought mine from the link provided in the first post on this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49161.0

Might be worth a call to see if they have any left in the warehouse.

There's several on ebay right now. Do a search for "usb battery pack". I've got one similar to these and it's worked out great for the MT.

Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 12:01:01 PM »
the R09 doesn't have a digital in, but you don't constantly hear how crappy the R09 is since they didn't see fit to include a digi-in.

You don't 'constantly hear how crappy the r09 is' because it isn't crappy.

It is a very well engineered and executed product. You constantly hear how crappy the mt is because the level of engineering and execution are pathetic.

cmoorevt

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 12:03:32 PM »

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 12:08:14 PM »
the R09 doesn't have a digital in, but you don't constantly hear how crappy the R09 is since they didn't see fit to include a digi-in.

You don't 'constantly hear how crappy the r09 is' because it isn't crappy.

It is a very well engineered and executed product. You constantly hear how crappy the mt is because the level of engineering and execution are pathetic.

:-*
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline potsy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 03:19:27 AM »
The battery life on this unit will provide just under 3 hrs. or recording time at 16/44.1.

FWIW, i get a little over 4 hours recording at 16/44.1.  Haven't had any problems with mine except for the levels when it first came out...fixed by firmware.
Sony D8 DAT, M-Audio Microtrack 2496 w/ 4GB Kingston Elite Pro 45x CF, Core-Sound Stealth Cardiods

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 05:21:25 AM »
udovdh -- on that note, it depends what you want.  If you mean an M1 that isn't used with a digital input, maybe the R09 is what you want.
Does the R09 do seamless autosplits? Does it have a nice line in? Usable level setting mechanism? Good SNR? Impedance?

If you truly want an M1 that takes CF cards for digital input, I'd strongly recommend the MT.  That is, I'm assuming by M1 you mean you want a 16bit recorder.  I haven't heard of much in the way of issues with the MT used for 16bit. 
16-bit is OK. I need a decent line-in. I need seamless autosplit. I need true 2GB (2**31) if there is no autosplit.
Maybe a limiter. (the MT has one in the ADC but it isn't used!)
I am looking at the Iriver H120. R09 is wort a try?

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 10:34:28 AM »
Does the R09 do seamless autosplits? Does it have a nice line in? Usable level setting mechanism? Good SNR? Impedance?
The R-09 doesn't do auto-split but it records a full 4 GB file so you don't need to split.  Line-in is decent.  Level setting is nice.  SNR is good.  Line-in impedance = 17k.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com