Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tape transfering question (reo 12-28-79)  (Read 4769 times)

Offline yawnfactory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
tape transfering question (reo 12-28-79)
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »
so i have this tape reo speedwagon chicago fm broadcast dated  12-28-79.
i cant say ive seen this date on any lists yet, but in case its not out there, then
its time for a transfer. plus, this is from a master tape thats over 30 yrs. here's hoping
its a show thats not out there

the tape  is an ampex 90min tape (catalog number amc90)

while transfering, i encountered several problems with the tape. at certain points (roughly from 18-22 min into side a) the tape starts to squeek. this causes the signal to peak, and the squeek is audible on the memory car.  at one point, the tape just stopped playing completly.  the transfer was attemped 2x with the same results.  fast fwd/rewind
the tape does not cause any squeeking or stoppage.

now, the little felt piece below the tape is missing, so im wondering if thats the reason for the squeek and stoppage.  thankfully, the tape is held together by screws.

if i do need to do a shell transfer, would i have to use another ampex am c90 shell? (the tape source has many of these ampex tapes, so it wont be a problem)

or, would i be better off using some newer shell. 

my deck (technics rs t36r) does not have an azumith adjustment.

any help would be greatly  appreciated. im no reo speedwagon fan at all, but if this show
is not out there or out there in shittier quality, then i feel a transfer is 100% warranted.
its not my tape, so im not sure the source would let me mail out

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: tape transfering question (reo 12-28-79)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:22:29 AM »

All squeeking aside, you should obtain a quality deck for your transfers that has *manual* azimuth adjustment. Most of us on here have Naks.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

runonce

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 07:51:06 AM »

All squeeking aside, you should obtain a quality deck for your transfers that has *manual* azimuth adjustment. Most of us on here have Naks.

ALL decks have -manual- azimuth adjustment. Just slide off the decks door cover, look for two little screw holes - the one to turn will likely be backed with a small spring and will probably have some screw lock on it (green or red goo). Just use your ears - its easy to hear when the tape is tracking right.

I think the serious transfer people use the Dragon and one or two other Nak models that had -auto- azimuth adjustment.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
Just use your ears - its easy to hear when the tape is tracking right.

Which is why I would never rely on auto-azimuth. Manual is the way to go with either a knob or as you described above.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

runonce

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 09:12:41 AM »
Just use your ears - its easy to hear when the tape is tracking right.

Which is why I would never rely on auto-azimuth. Manual is the way to go with either a knob or as you described above.

well - agree - but some field decks - like the Sony D6 commonly had tracking errors, particularly at the beginning of tapes. The azimuth would wander a bit until the tape finally settled in. Only the Dragon can fix that.

Also - slightly off topic. Make sure the felt pad is secure in tape shell. Occasionally, I've noticed the glue gets brittle and the pads get loose.

Offline yawnfactory

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:57:15 PM »
a new deck is out of the question. ive gotten good transfers out the deck i use ( see
thorogood harry hopes over at Dad).  that which has been transfered from the reo
tape doesnt sound off track, slow, etc.  the whole problem with this transfer lies within
the tape itself.

i know most decks you can remove the door cover, but looks like this one doesnt remove
too easily. and, the visible screws seem to be pretty buried.

Also - slightly off topic. Make sure the felt pad is secure in tape shell. Occasionally, I've noticed the glue gets brittle and the pads get loose---------thanks for answering this question.

any other ideas that dont involve a new deck?

nl

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »
Try fast forwarding and rewinding through the entire tape a few times. Or re-shell the tape.

No need to use an Ampex shell, but you should use a shell of the same cassette type. If it is a type I tape, use a different type I shell. Lots of tape decks use the holes at the top to sense what kind of cassette is inserted an apply the correct EQ for each type.

runonce

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:36:26 PM »
Try fast forwarding and rewinding through the entire tape a few times. Or re-shell the tape.

No need to use an Ampex shell, but you should use a shell of the same cassette type. If it is a type I tape, use a different type I shell. Lots of tape decks use the holes at the top to sense what kind of cassette is inserted an apply the correct EQ for each type.

Wow - good tip! That would be easily missed...

Offline yawnfactory

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »

i tried the fwd/rewind thing a couple of times, but ill give it a go again. the original owner played the tapes every couple of years at best.  thankfully, i have quite a few of the same shells
as the reo ampex.  im hoping the other ampex tapes in this box dont have the same problems.

i dont know too much about ampex tapes. is this a general problem with them? myself, ive always prefered maxell

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:35:43 PM »
I may have little experience with analog tape but I know to NEVER FF/RW. That could destroy your 30 year-old tape.

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 11:44:38 PM »
I agree that if you already have FF/RW, I wouldn't do it anymore.  My next step would be to swap out the shell - I would suggest the best quality/condition shell you can find that is the same tape type.  As noted earlier, brand doesn't matter - it needs to be the same type of tape so you don't confuse any auto tape type detection your deck may have.  I would steer clear of other Ampex shells since you already have a problem with one and presumably all of the ones you have are similar age.  I'd go with a newer Maxell or other higher quality shell (i.e. if it's a high bias chrome tape, use an XLIIS shell that is newer looking and seems to be in good shape.  My guess is that a squeaking tape is dried out but it easily could be the shell being in bad shape and causing undue friction.  I noticed that Rob Berger always re-shells his tapes when he does transfers of 70's era stuff.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline yawnfactory

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:26:31 AM »
well, someone suggested trying to fwd/rwd. so it wont be done again.  i have
an XL II S-90 shell that i can use.  source had some demento shows on ampex, and some of those did squeek. a few broke. 

if this show is circulating in great quality, then i wont bother. but i havent found
anything on it yet

Offline yawnfactory

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 02:30:58 AM »
changing shells has not solved the problems. any other ideas?

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 02:34:49 AM »
does it maybe need baking?
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline yawnfactory

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 01:07:49 PM »
i was thinking of baking the tape, but nooo idea how to do that. never done it

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com