Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Attenuator cables for stealth...  (Read 2075 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Attenuator cables for stealth...
« on: April 09, 2004, 10:51:10 AM »
OK, so I checked the archives, and wasn't really able to find a for sure answer, so I am going to ask...

I hooked my mics up in the following manner:

SP binuaral mics -> SP battery box (via miniplug) -> female miniplug to 2 XLR Male adapter -> AD-20 -> NJB3 via optical.

I taped a really quiet show, and it worked well... but for loud shows, constant peaking/overload.

I assume I need an attenuator cable somewhere, and I am guessing it would be between the battery box and the AD-20?  if this is the case, would this one work?

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=270&item=SP-ATEN-1&type=store

thanks in advance!

~Andrew
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
Re:Attenuator cables for stealth...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 09:24:13 PM »
that's a common problem with the AD-20

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 09:40:20 PM »
I've only had the AD20 clip on me once, and that was due to having the levels punched.

I run CSB>battboxw/rolloff>AD20>DR7

Keep the gains on the AD20 very, very minimal, maybe a 1/4 of the way up. Since then I have yet to encounter a clipping problem with the AD20.

Are you using the SP box with the roll off or not?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 10:03:09 PM »
I've only had the AD20 clip on me once, and that was due to having the levels punched.

I run CSB>battboxw/rolloff>AD20>DR7

Keep the gains on the AD20 very, very minimal, maybe a 1/4 of the way up. Since then I have yet to encounter a clipping problem with the AD20.

Are you using the SP box with the roll off or not?

Nope... the battery box is only power... no roll-off, and no level control.  The dudes at SP told me that if I had the bb with level control, I would just be able to turn that down, but alas, don't have that...

I purchased the attenuator cable above (only $7) and I think I am going to mess around with that, and set it at a decent level, and then wrap some tape around it so it is consistent, and control the levels solely on the AD-20.

thanks for your responses!
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 11:55:33 PM »
Well since you don't have the roll off that is probably what is causing the clipping. I always have the roll-off  in use, so that is probably why I don't get clipping with the AD20.

I hope your attenuator solves the problem!
we are the people the rescuers will never find

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com