Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's a nice way to turn down patchers?  (Read 14320 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:What's a nice way to turn down patchers?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2004, 12:46:52 PM »
the rca outs on my dap1 don't work.... I would have paid extra just for that "feature"  when I bought it!

No MD patches... ever. No way, no how. I have had that rule for a few years. Now, with no analog out that's not a concern.

I rarely ever turn down a digital patch. If I do I'm usually just too full at that point and I'll tell them and try and get them patched into another rig.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2004, 02:00:25 PM »
Some fun possibilities:

1) I'll trade you a patch for a blowjob.

2) That'll be $20 please.

;)

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2004, 02:16:37 PM »
1) the rca on the hhb is broken (md patchers).
2) sorry, I'm running aes, and the hhb won't send spdif.
3) I have the "no coax out" rev f mme.
4) or if you live in Minneapolis or a similar rube city, buy some dpa 4022's or other active setup. The wooks here think they are cheapo stealth mics, and head over to the fatty big sennheisers.

actually don't mind patchers at all. just hate when they use a taped up oade cable, and think it must be something in my rig that caused the dropouts. ;D

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2004, 03:55:04 PM »
I'll generally give a patch to anyone, but if the patcher is using an MD, JB3, mp3 recorder of some other non-dat deck, I'll require them to run their own gear and make sure they have a long enough cable so that we all have plenty of breathing room.  I've had more than a few patchers get pissy at me when I won't run their MD which I don't get...

As for an excuse... just tell 'em the truth... "I've got some brand new gear/I'm trying some new techniques out and you'll probably have a better chance of a good pull going with someone else."

Make them think you're turning them down for their benefit and I don't see how they can argue.

Rusty

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2004, 04:36:24 PM »
Why is give a patch a prob?? I general give patches to whoever needs them as long as I can do it. I really dont care what they are runing. Sometimes its better to have a back up.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 05:39:39 PM »
4) or if you live in Minneapolis or a similar rube city, buy some dpa 4022's or other active setup. The wooks here think they are cheapo stealth mics, and head over to the fatty big sennheisers.

I get more patch requests with the ADKs than I ever had with the 4022s or 480s.  I'm looking forward to getting my JK labs so they move on down the line.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline RobC

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2004, 08:27:24 PM »
I usually hook up most patchers.

I split my dig coax into a M1 and D7/8 chain
and give the optical out to the 1st person that needs optical ( I do tell MDers that if someone comes along with a JB3 they won't be getting the optical out)

km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2004, 01:49:57 AM »
I happily give out a patch if asked.  My ua5 is fixed in my case facing up so I leave a 6' coax dangling out the back.  I don't want to be screwing around so I just pass my cable out.  If someone wants optical they are sol (I use a jb3), if they want analog they get it off the ua-5 headphone jack (The ua-5 headphone jack shares an amp with the analog outs anyway).  I have that adaptor in my "everyday" jb3 case because I use that cord for my car deck, so I don't mind whipping that out.
     Most patchers I've run into are ok... most of the time I get offered a beer or other intoxicant.  Share the love... thats what I say.  They usually help with the blocking if you're fob.  ESPECIALLY if they are using a nice deck.  I've gotten cd's out of the deal too.  Got some good Keller a couple of weeks ago!   More shows than not, I have someone patched out.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2004, 02:19:36 AM »
present your rear end and exclaim "patch this!"
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2004, 03:17:02 AM »
Must have pissed off some patchers w/ this thread, I've dropped 4 +T's since it was posted. Anyway, thanks for the advice as always all.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2004, 04:43:25 AM »
Must have pissed off some patchers w/ this thread, I've dropped 4 +T's since it was posted. Anyway, thanks for the advice as always all.

well, here's a + to get you back on track. one more if you change your avatar. she's scaaaary. :)

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2004, 09:49:11 AM »
so man, what the reason you don't want to give a patch...it's all good and you can do as you wish (and should) but you have not really told us why you would not want to provide a patch.

whatsupwithdat ;)
jah

ps don't worry about the + and - T's  again...it's a facade of fluffing but to each their own.....  CHOCOLATE RULE!!!!  the only thing better would be a spell check  ;)
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2004, 10:04:58 AM »
I typically only give one to people who don't seem like they are gonna put it on-line the next day. The reason is I ALWAYS do some post production to recordings and thats what I want circulating. My first question is always "what are you gonna do with the recording"

Most often I just let them patch.

Somtimes I am the patcher. I'll bring my p1 occasionally to show for a patch. I ussually end up knowing the person who I get a patch from but I still look forward to getting turned away some day. That would be a kick!

I'm usually more than happy to give a patch, I just lay down the ground rules first -

1.  Come see me after I'm completely set up.
2.  Leave your deck and I'll start it for you.  I don't need another person in my way at the beginning of a show when I'm starting the tape, checking levels, etc.
3.  Trade it all you'd like but no seeding shn/flac/mp3s or anything else.  That's my job.  This is more a quality control issue, as you never know what kind of equipment they are using for post-prod work.

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2004, 11:20:33 AM »
so man, what the reason you don't want to give a patch...it's all good and you can do as you wish (and should) but you have not really told us why you would not want to provide a patch.

Most likely I'll usually provide a patch to people. I just wanted to know what a nice way was to turn people away if need be. I highly doubt that I will turn people away in the future unless they are a complete ass.

well, here's a + to get you back on track. one more if you change your avatar. she's scaaaary.
It's a he.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2004, 11:26:46 AM »
Quote from: wsphansam quote

Most likely I'll usually provide a patch to people. I just wanted to know what a nice way was to turn people away if need be. I highly doubt that I will turn people away in the future unless they are a complete ass.

So  sounds like no issue for you then...if someone is being an ass..tell em or don't worry about not hooking them up/being polite.  When it happens you'll know exactly what to say.

peace and patch-on
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com