Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help - my bottom is heavy  (Read 5571 times)

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re: Help - my bottom is heavy
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 04:31:06 PM »
could be the warm mod ua-5.

i'd say the same, my ua-5 is kinda bottom heavy.  It was worse when i was using a shitty ol pioneer receiver, my onkyo cleaned it up quite a bit.  But almost every tape i've made with the ua-5 has had a little more low end than i'd desire.  I normally run rolloff to account for it.  But different mic techniques also will help, XY smoothes the low end out with my rig and DIN is usually the best choice for me.  good luck, hope you get some better results.

AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 05:24:48 PM »
I'd say it is definitely coming from your mics, the audix have a pretty steep lowend rolloff (at about 40hz I believe).

yep, i'm saving up for some ck63s, cables, and jk labs box.  only thing is i can't sell the audix's until i get the jklabs box cuz it'll take awhile to get it.  so i'm going to have to deal with them for awhile.  i think i'm going to try out the superluxes with the v3 tho, just for shits and giggles.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 07:41:07 PM »
I do think they had subs sitting on the ground; perhaps that it what I'm picking up. But it did not sound that way during the show itself.

fyi, unless your mics were exactly at your ear level, they will pick frequencies that your ears did not hear.

the water's clean and innocent

hexyjones

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004, 01:50:32 PM »
The speaker stacks at Skipper's are pathetic. I can only imagine the look on Oteil's face when he walked in for the first time. I do think they had subs sitting on the ground; perhaps that it what I'm picking up. But it did not sound that way during the show itself.

As for the JB3, yes, I'm using optical. I ran levels somewhat conservative staying a bit below the overload bars.

Thanks to all who have responded to quickly (and please continue to contribute if you have something to say)

You should be completely ignoring the JB3 meters...focus on getting the levels right on the UA5(dont let the peak light come on!)....the only thing the JB3 meters can tell you is that you are actually getting a signal....

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004, 02:05:44 PM »
You should be completely ignoring the JB3 meters...focus on getting the levels right on the UA5(dont let the peak light come on!)....the only thing the JB3 meters can tell you is that you are actually getting a signal....

Or to monitor L/R balance.  I used to use the UA5 light to monitor peak levels, and the JB3 meters to monitor L/R balance.  Worked well for me.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com