Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transferrring MD's to PC  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Low Spark

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Transferrring MD's to PC
« on: January 17, 2005, 02:33:28 PM »
Is this possible with the digi-mod UA-5. I really would like to get first discs to pc. Have some just straight mics to MD and AD-20 to MD.
Mics: AKG 481

American by Birth - A Southerner by the Grace of God.

I caught myself pumping the air with my fist, throwing elbows and getting down like an 18-year-old on his first mushroom trip on the lawn at Raleigh. But since every night is Saturday

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Transferrring MD's to PC
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 02:42:53 PM »
Is this possible with the digi-mod UA-5. I really would like to get first discs to pc. Have some just straight mics to MD and AD-20 to MD.

Direct to PC? No - the Digi-mod disables that ability (did anyone think of putting a switch on this?)

You will need to go to the JB3 first and then to the PC...which, for your purpose...is the same as going to UA5 to PC...

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 02:49:45 PM »
Is this true? I thought the only thing the digi mod did was activate all outs, instead of just the usb.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

hexyjones

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 02:51:31 PM »
Is this true? I thought the only thing the digi mod did was activate all outs, instead of just the usb.

I was under the impression that this disabled the USB function...perhaps I am in error...

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 02:53:40 PM »
It is possible if you are connecting your MD to your UA5 via analog connections, and on most portable MDs, the only analog out is a headphone jack. That will work, connect the headphone out to the back RCA inputs, find a good clean level, and convert that way. But you cannot go digi out of an MD deck (assuming you have a deck that goes digi out), digi in to the UA5, then USB into a computer. That will not work, because the digi through is disabled by the modification.

spreadheadtom

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 02:57:01 PM »
It is possible if you are connecting your MD to your UA5 via analog connections, and on most portable MDs, the only analog out is a headphone jack. That will work, connect the headphone out to the back RCA inputs, find a good clean level, and convert that way. But you cannot go digi out of an MD deck (assuming you have a deck that goes digi out), digi in to the UA5, then USB into a computer. That will not work, because the digi through is disabled by the modification.

CORRECT...having the mod done allows you to either run digital out OR usb out...but not both at the same time.

for Tony's purpose, I think it will work fine since he will not be able to use the digi-in function.

Tommy

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 03:00:41 PM »
OK, I'm confused...according to the oade site:

The first mod enables the digital coax and optical outputs for stand alone operation without a computer. It can also be used with a computer to output data simultaneously to a both coax and optical digital connectors, in addition to your computer ! The mod disables the digital output from a computer to the UA5 via the USB port, so you cannot send data from the computer to the UA5 on the USB buss. This does not affect your ability to record with it, only your ability to send data from your hard drive to the UA5 via USB.

I can use the USB out and the Digital out at the same time. I just can't use the USB as a digital in. Or am I reading this wrong??  ???
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 04:10:10 PM »
OK, I'm confused...according to the oade site:

The first mod enables the digital coax and optical outputs for stand alone operation without a computer. It can also be used with a computer to output data simultaneously to a both coax and optical digital connectors, in addition to your computer ! The mod disables the digital output from a computer to the UA5 via the USB port, so you cannot send data from the computer to the UA5 on the USB buss. This does not affect your ability to record with it, only your ability to send data from your hard drive to the UA5 via USB.

I can use the USB out and the Digital out at the same time. I just can't use the USB as a digital in. Or am I reading this wrong??  ???

You CAN use coax, optical and usb OUT all at the same time. I've run d8, jb3 and lappy all at once at a few shows.

You CAN NOT send coax in and get Optical Out or vice versa.

You CAN send analog in and record straight to your pc via USB (or coax out if you have a digi sound card)

You CAN NOT _send out_ from the PC via USB The Oade digi mod disables that function and that one only.

Best bet is to get a home MD deck with a digi out.

Otherwise, like was posted above, you'll have to use the analog out (headphone jack) of your portable >RCA in UA-5> Digi out(of your choice)

I go md>ua-5>optical>JB3 then JB3>firewire>PC.  I got the occasional digi glitch going UA-5>USB>PC but have had no problems going to the JB3 first.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 04:20:24 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated!

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 07:00:57 PM »
I can do pure digital transfers of your MDs if you need some help.

-Kevin

Offline Low Spark

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 09:45:33 PM »
 go md>ua-5>optical>JB3 then JB3>firewire>PC
I think this is the way to go. Now to get that UA-5.  I have talked myself out of 4 times in the last two days. Thanks to all and +Ts all around.
Mics: AKG 481

American by Birth - A Southerner by the Grace of God.

I caught myself pumping the air with my fist, throwing elbows and getting down like an 18-year-old on his first mushroom trip on the lawn at Raleigh. But since every night is Saturday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com