Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping set suggestion please  (Read 3724 times)

Offline yanosh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
taping set suggestion please
« on: August 19, 2005, 11:07:15 PM »
Ok so I'm new to all of this.
I started to download flac bootlegs recently at dimeadozen.org and my interest in this is growing.
I decided I want to start recording the shows I'm attending.

I've read the starters guide and I understand the method of mic > mic power > gain > adc > storage but still I have no idea what I should buy.
My budget for the whole equipment is 170$, although I can move a little up if I find that I have more use of the equipment except for recording live shows.
I want the equipment to be stealthable, I don't want to buy used equipment and I only go to heavy metal shows.

Can someone please give me a general configuration that I can buy at this price?
Please don't explain to me things I won't understand and please write equipment that I can easily find at the stores.
I'm looking for a direct answer with the list of equipment that I should buy.

Oh and just a side question:
When I'm recording short clips at shows with my digital camera (Sony DSCP93 - not something too new) the sound is actually pretty good.
Why haven't I seen a post saying that it's considarable to tape with digital camera?
Is because the audio of the recording is lossy and can't be controled by the camera? is it because the sound is actually bad and only I think it's ok? or is it because of something else?

Thank you.

Roving Sign

Re: taping set suggestion please
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 11:09:30 PM »
For 170 dollars...not much you can do.

Keep downloading.

Offline yanosh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 11:22:11 PM »
Then what is the price of the most basic equipment I need to buy?
Something that would be enough to produce a -b/+b sound in metal shows.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 11:27:16 PM »
Not a lot of options in that price range, though it might be doable with a cheap used MD recorder.  This thread will give you an idea of what you can get for $170:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35004.0, though it doesn't include much info on used MDs.  So pull mic/mic power options from that thread and then search around minidisc.org for possible MD options on the cheap.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline yanosh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 11:52:30 PM »
So you say I should pick a cheap MD. I saw "ATRAC Only" written in the comments of it.
What exactly ATRAC means?
All MD will do [3-4-5]?

I guess a good Mic is even more important so can you then recommand me for a mic which does [1-2]?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 12:23:01 AM »
So you say I should pick a cheap MD. I saw "ATRAC Only" written in the comments of it.  What exactly ATRAC means?

ATRAC is a lossy compression algorithm.  I think your best bet is to check the minidisc.org FAQ for more info since there isn't a lot of info here re MDs and ATRAC.

All MD will do [3-4-5]?

I honestly don't know, but perhaps others will join in.  I can tell you there's very little discussion here regarding MD, so minidisc.org might be a better place to pose those sorts of questions.  Give it a bit here to see if anyone responds usefully, and if not hit up minidisc.org.

I guess a good Mic is even more important so can you then recommand me for a mic which does [1-2]?

Yes, mics are *the* most important component, generally speaking.  However, the only mics / battery box in the post I referenced that fall within your budget are the Giant Squids.  Not on the list, but possibly in your price range are a few products by Church Audio.  I'd search around at Archive.org's audio section for recordings sourced with these mics + MD - there are plenty - and decide if it's worth your while.  Try keywords (with quotes) "church audio" and "giant squid".
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 02:25:41 AM »
I could send you Rich Robinson 12-16-2004 by snail mail if you don't have broadband. It was recorded:

Church Audio onmi mics > Church Audio pre-amp/batt box > Nomad JB3

Or I'll re-seed it on bt.etree if you do. Sounds great!

pm me if interested.

UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline yanosh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 02:38:32 AM »
I could send you Rich Robinson 12-16-2004 by snail mail if you don't have broadband. It was recorded:

Church Audio onmi mics > Church Audio pre-amp/batt box > Nomad JB3

Or I'll re-seed it on bt.etree if you do. Sounds great!

pm me if interested.

Thank you for the offer.
I'll check later at dimezdozen for recordings with this mic and if I can't find I'll pm message you.

Right now I'm trying to figure out which recording to buy.
NJB3 is expensive for me, and I don't understand what's the big hype about it because it's too big to be stealthed.
I'm thinking about which MD to buy and I still don't know what are the exact attributes that I should look for in the MD.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 09:37:31 AM »
NJB3 is expensive for me, and I don't understand what's the big hype about it because it's too big to be stealthed.

i have stealthed several shows with the jb3, including james brown at the house of blues... it can be done.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 10:02:41 AM »

::)

Offline Roamer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 02:01:32 PM »
All MD will do [3-4-5]?
I honestly don't know, but perhaps others will join in.  I can tell you there's very little discussion here regarding MD, so minidisc.org might be a better place to pose those sorts of questions.  Give it a bit here to see if anyone responds usefully, and if not hit up minidisc.org.
Not all of them.
Some are only player/PC Downloader (If made by Sony, they should end with D in their name). Useless for taping purpose.
Some have only line-in/optical-in and no mic-in. They are usually the cheapest.
Some have mic-in (with "plug-in" power) + line-in/optical-in. (If made by Sony, often with R in the name)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 03:36:38 PM »
$170 dollars is do-able for a budget. 

My first rig was about that.  Bought it from Boogie.  Sound Professionals croakies mount AT831 > SPSB-2 > Sharp MD.  I still use the mics & batt box but run it into a NJB3 for stealthing.  It's a great starter rig!  The only down side with the MD is the fact that unless you have a standalone MD player with a digital out, it is hard to get the shows onto your computer for editing / burning to disk.  BUT, there are plenty of gracious tapers here who will do transfers for you free of charge.  Kevin (blu666z) I know still offers this up on the boards, and I think Boogie does as well.

Don't be discouraged with a small budget.  It's definitely do-able, just might take a little longer to find the equipment.  Good luck!  It's an addicting hobby!!  +T
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 08:56:09 PM »
$170 dollars is do-able for a budget. 

My first rig was about that.  Bought it from Boogie.  Sound Professionals croakies mount AT831 > SPSB-2 > Sharp MD.  I still use the mics & batt box but run it into a NJB3 for stealthing.  It's a great starter rig!  The only down side with the MD is the fact that unless you have a standalone MD player with a digital out, it is hard to get the shows onto your computer for editing / burning to disk.  BUT, there are plenty of gracious tapers here who will do transfers for you free of charge.  Kevin (blu666z) I know still offers this up on the boards, and I think Boogie does as well.

Don't be discouraged with a small budget.  It's definitely do-able, just might take a little longer to find the equipment.  Good luck!  It's an addicting hobby!!  +T
my same basic starter rig
at853 > bb > md
i would go with the used md and goto SP for mics/power--get started and if you like it you can move up
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com