Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CD storage options?  (Read 6252 times)

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
CD storage options?
« on: October 04, 2005, 08:05:56 PM »
I'm curious to know what methods people use for storing their cd's/dvd's. I'm looking for a new solution as I have 8 binders that hold 200+ cd's that are full and have a few hundred more cd's piling up that aren't organized at all. I haven't had much luck with the binder method (zipper's break, the rings that hold the sleeves break..etc) so I'm looking to go another route. Suggestions?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: CD storage options?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 08:45:57 PM »
Higher quality binders?  Or more of your current binders, but only fill the pockets on one side of each page.  I know, not very efficient, but it seems to relieve the stress on the zippers, sleeve rings, and pocket enclosures.  I have a combination of binders + jewel cases stacked on shelving.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 09:19:23 PM »
I just picked up a couple of these ( http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=12727&langId=-1&parentCats=10104*13805 ) at Ikea and are really happy with them.  one side for flacs and one side for auds, or whatever.  I use these ( http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=16141&cmArea=SEARCH ) sleeves from staples and put the labels at the top in the draweres.  Works well.  Holds a lot.

Kris
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 09:22:53 PM »
I just picked up a couple of these ( http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=12727&langId=-1&parentCats=10104*13805 ) at Ikea

Those things are great but It really irrates me that they don't sell these over the internet.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 10:52:49 PM »
Those things are great but It really irrates me that they don't sell these over the internet.

I agree but I bet the shipping might get high on some of that kinda stuff..
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 02:29:03 AM »
i just started storing my music discs in a paper sleeve.  I just use a normal sheet of printer paper and wrap it around the cd more or less.  on the front, i print the setlist/info file so i have all the info.

all of my flac discs are stored on dvd-r's and put in binders.  i put a reference number on each dvd-r, i also put the reference number on my list, that way i can look at my list and figure out what dvd the show i want to listen to is on.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 07:50:57 AM »
i just started storing my music discs in a paper sleeve.  I just use a normal sheet of printer paper and wrap it around the cd more or less.  on the front, i print the setlist/info file so i have all the info.

all of my flac discs are stored on dvd-r's and put in binders.  i put a reference number on each dvd-r, i also put the reference number on my list, that way i can look at my list and figure out what dvd the show i want to listen to is on.

This is my system too, except I'm finished w/ Flac.  Archiving as .wav here.  My archived DVD-R's are in normal jewel cases in numeric order, for max protect.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 07:55:33 AM »
search function comes up with quite a few threads, like: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=20058.0
we all live downstream.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 08:21:29 AM »

This is my system too, except I'm finished w/ Flac.  Archiving as .wav here.  My archived DVD-R's are in normal jewel cases in numeric order, for max protect.

Could I ask why? I archive as FLAC (mostly on CDR), but also have an audio copy around if I want to listen to the show. FLAC = perfect copies possible, Audio = DAE, flaws possible, apparently even when using EAC.

If I get time later on I'll post a picture of my storage solution.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 08:38:45 AM »
I just picked up a couple of these ( http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=12727&langId=-1&parentCats=10104*13805 ) at Ikea

That sucks. I didn't realize that cause I have an Ikea right down the road so shipping is something I've never really looked into.  let me know if anybody wants me to pick up a couple and send them your way.  I can rum to the PO and see what the shipping would be...

kris
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 12:51:09 PM »
Storage solution:

Masters on left, other trade stuff on right. All alphabeticised and FLAC'd
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 02:20:40 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=34215.0

here is another topic on this that has pics of my setup which i think works great, holds a sh*t ton of discs and can be found at any wal-mart for 10-15 bucks.  scroll down a bit and you will see pics of it.  my only problem is i never put them in there in any order so it's gonna take forever to get it all staight, but one day i will.

mike
"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 04:06:46 PM »
fwiw i still have not organized my discs :P  ;D
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 05:54:48 PM »

Could I ask why? I archive as FLAC (mostly on CDR), but also have an audio copy around if I want to listen to the show. FLAC = perfect copies possible, Audio = DAE, flaws possible, apparently even when using EAC.

If I get time later on I'll post a picture of my storage solution.

Well FLAC is definitley the method to go if you are going to and from the computer but for archiving the raw wav. file is usually considered better in the instance where physically damge occurs to the disc. If you have the raw file then damage to the physical disc will effect a certian part of the music. If in FLAC format physiacl damge would casue more data loss because more info going to be squaeezed on the disc.  But I believe the benefits of FLAC as you have mentioned outweigh the WAV argument but when it comes to physical damage you tend to lose more when compressed vs. RAW
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 06:06:24 PM »

Not WAV in audio format, WAV in data format - no DAE required.  Still perfect copies, but better error recovery since a given amount of physical damage will impact a smaller portion of the WAV file, and a larger portion of the compressed FLAC file.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com