Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with attenuator cable  (Read 1232 times)

Offline willyjbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Help with attenuator cable
« on: July 18, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »
I want to do a soundboard patch this weekend at a local bar just to see how it sounds. I was planning on just using an RCA --> stereo mini-plug cord for the board, along with my iRiver H120. To give you an idea of the volume in this place, I recorded a band last weekend with AT831's>SP-SPS-8 (69hz b.r.o.)>H120 at +2.0 db gain and boosted it by 10.0 db on Adobe Audition 2.0 for the right volume. I've heard about attenuator cables, so I went to my local Radio Shack today and all they had were 60db and 90db attenuator cables (I was expecting lower). At least they were only $5, which seemed nice.

With all that being said, should I use an attenuator cable this weekend? I noticed that the H120's gain range was -64 db to 48 db, and being that I got a very soft recording at +2.0 db, I figured I would be fine. I can understand that I would need one of these for an amphitheater, arena, or large theater board, so should I get the 60db or 90db cord?

Also, should I use my b.r.o. on a soundboard recording? Thanks in advance!

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
Re: Help with attenuator cable
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 10:44:14 PM »
First, I don't think that your gain setting using mics>bb>recorder is even useful in determining what gain setting you may need for a SBD feed.  It would be ideal to throw a good a/d (or pre / ad combo - i.e. ua-5) between the SBD & iRiver.  If you are having to run line-in (as you referenced), it would be ideal to have the gain on the iRiver set at 0db and dial in your levels via the board output (if that's an option).  As far as attenuators go, I haven't heard of anyone here using anything higher than 30db (10db-30db attenuators seem to be the average).  I don't know how you would use bass reduction on a SBD.  Your bass reduction is achieved via the battery box, and you don't need it in the chain if your getting a SBD patch.

I don't have any experience running SBD>iRiver, so I can't be that much help.  Based on the hot signal that SBD's put out and the 10KOhm line-in impedence of the iRiver (low), I would bank on needing attenuation unless the soundman can dial your levels in (or let you do it).  Hopefully, some of the above comments will steer you in the right direction until some other responses come in.   
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help with attenuator cable
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:22:30 AM »
i got a -20db cable from cascade for $25
its made by mic madness
i used to to run from a board into my camcorder and like the results--no other testing of it
it has a mini 1/8 female > 1/8 male plug so you should be fine running dual rca out > 1/8 male from the board
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com