Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR100mkii Review  (Read 136023 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR100mkii Review
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »
After hunting around (for the right 2.5mm Connector, thanks for pointing that out Steve) i can't seem to find a decent metal connector

Here's one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-5mm-Jack-Metal-Nickel-4-Pole-Male-Plug-Solder-Connector-/220869380265?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item336cd748a9
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline alpine85

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2012, 01:05:27 PM »
I must be missing something here, but I'm really curious what all these extra wires are for on the mini end of this digital cable (???)

How is the connection on this thing any different than any other SPDIF coax?  Isn't the female RCA just TS?  Why TRRS on the other end?   SPDIF is just a bitstream, right?  And this thing is only transmitting 2 channels of audio, right?

MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

stevetoney

« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »
Anyone have an idea what the wiring schematic would be? From the 2.5mm 4C Right Angle Plug with 12" Cable, which of the 4 wires would connect to what on the RCA plug?

I gather it would be the same as if you were connecting to video. Anyone know what that wiring scheme is?

EDIT: I just had another look at the product page, and there's a close-up of the wiring. Most probably the yellow wire is for the video connection.

Seems easy enough to figure out.  Just do reverse osmosis on the stock cable.  All you need is a continuity tester to figure out which part of the TRRS has continuity with the parts on the RCA end.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:29:00 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline matjinks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2012, 01:55:49 PM »
The SPDIF is sharing a socket with the remote, which is why you have 4 pole for the SPDIF, you only use one of the poles and the earth the other poles on the socket side are used for the remote cable connection. Just hold the two plugs side by side the remote cable and the SPDIF cable and you will see which poles are being used by the remote the other is used by the SPDIF.

Offline alpine85

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2012, 02:37:29 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that.  I totally missed that it was a shared jack.   Seems kind of silly - how much could it have cost them to put in a separate jack for the remote?

So, I'm thinking about picking one of these up - mainly to replace the JB3 as a bitbucket for a 2nd rig, but I love the fact that it could be a good 2-ch recorder as well for lower profile gigs.  Has anyone decided how the pres and A/D compare to the M-10?  Better?  Worse?  Just a different flavor?

Would I still want to run the Busman UA-5 in front of this whenever possible?  I'm assuming both the Pres and A/D would be better quality in the UA-5 - would that be a correct assumption?  Would this thing accept 24-bit from the UA-5?

By the way, Musician's Friend has a promo code that's good til 1/30 - 10% off purchases that would bring this thing down to $300 shipped.  Best price I've found so far...

EDIT:  Here is the promo code info from MF: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/year-of-the-dragon?icid=200175

It looks like EVERYONE is selling this at $330, so with the 10% off this is definitely the best deal on a new one ($297 shipped)

The SPDIF is sharing a socket with the remote, which is why you have 4 pole for the SPDIF, you only use one of the poles and the earth the other poles on the socket side are used for the remote cable connection. Just hold the two plugs side by side the remote cable and the SPDIF cable and you will see which poles are being used by the remote the other is used by the SPDIF.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:02:34 PM by alpine85 »
MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that.  I totally missed that it was a shared jack.   Seems kind of silly - how much could it have cost them to put in a separate jack for the remote?

Quite a bit, actually.  It would have taken up a lot of space, both outside and especially inside the device.

Given how rare digital inputs are, be damn glad it's there at all!

It'll be interesting when someone opens one up and posts pics.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2012, 02:58:12 PM »

Quite a bit, actually.  It would have taken up a lot of space, both outside and especially inside the device.

agreed. There are very few handheld digital devices these days that have an excess of spare space for additional connections.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »

agreed. There are very few handheld digital devices these days that have an excess of spare space for additional connections.

I like the single input and rather find use of TRRS for multiple functions to be a kinda neat concept.  My main thing is that the fewer the jacks, the less chance I have to plug into the wrong jack in the dark, which I've done ohhh a million times.  (Actually only three or four, but it feels like a meel-yen)

stevetoney

« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »

So, I'm thinking about picking one of these up - mainly to replace the JB3 as a bitbucket for a 2nd rig, but I love the fact that it could be a good 2-ch recorder as well for lower profile gigs.  Has anyone decided how the pres and A/D compare to the M-10?  Better?  Worse?  Just a different flavor?

Would I still want to run the Busman UA-5 in front of this whenever possible?  I'm assuming both the Pres and A/D would be better quality in the UA-5 - would that be a correct assumption?  Would this thing accept 24-bit from the UA-5?

I don't think there's been anything definitive stated, but the M-10 is industry best handheld for self-noise so probably safe to say that it still wins a self-noise comp.  That said, I also think it's been concluded that the DR100mkII pre's are quite clean, while the flavor of the pre's (which is a subjective thing anyway) can be heard on a couple of samples that have been posted in this thread and one or two other threads in the recorder forum.  Recommend reaching your own conclusion on whether or not you like the flavor.

On whether or not these would be improved by a UA-5 in front, again I think the answer would be subjective.  What you'd be getting is an option to run two different flavors and whether you prefer one over the other is based on your own tastes.  If you listen to the samples I posted, I can say this much...the internal pres on this sound pretty good so I don't think you'd be disappointed running without the UA-5.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:18:13 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2012, 12:48:29 AM »

I don't think there's been anything definitive stated, but the M-10 is industry best handheld for self-noise so probably safe to say that it still wins a self-noise comp.  That said, I also think it's been concluded that the DR100mkII pre's are quite clean, while the flavor of the pre's (which is a subjective thing anyway) can be heard on a couple of samples that have been posted in this thread and one or two other threads in the recorder forum.  Recommend reaching your own conclusion on whether or not you like the flavor.

On whether or not these would be improved by a UA-5 in front, again I think the answer would be subjective.  What you'd be getting is an option to run two different flavors and whether you prefer one over the other is based on your own tastes.  If you listen to the samples I posted, I can say this much...the internal pres on this sound pretty good so I don't think you'd be disappointed running without the UA-5.

Well said, and I agree 100% Steve. I think the pres in this sucka sound quite good being stock and all :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline kenyee

• Taperssection Newbie
onsale today (2/9/2012) at musician's friend
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2012, 03:04:54 PM »
For the fence sitters, the DR100mkII is on sale today for $280 shipped at Musician's Friend.
Use code GROUNDHOG...

Offline drchen

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Love this community!
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Thank you for that tip over the fence.
Capturing live musical moments in time:-)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »
Has anyone posted m10 vs mk2 pics?   It's so much easier than comparing measurements...

I am really curious how the mk2 a/d performs compared to the 7xx and m10 when used with a front-end pre.  But also how it runs stand-alone...  More comps please!  ;)

And also general subjective usability compared to the m10, which is really excellent.

My m10 has never been run in the field, and I am giving some thought to selling it in favor of the mk2...

Offline aleal5687

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Mics:CA11,CA14,AKG ck91(Homebrew active)
Pre/power: Ca Ugly, Oade mod sbm1,sp battery box,MT mic power
Recorder:R9HR,MT 24/96,Iriver ihp110(16gb cfmod)

stevetoney

« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
Has anyone posted m10 vs mk2 pics?   It's so much easier than comparing measurements...

Yeah, that link gives a good representation.  In a descriptive sense, the mk2 is just big enough to pull off having XLRs, but just small enough that it still fits in most pockets for portability.  Definitely bigger and thicker than an m10, but it doesn't go over some subjective point where people wouldn't call it portable.  As a contrasting point, the 661 isn't all the much bigger than the mk2, but it's on the other side of that subjective line.  The inch or so extra width and length of the 661 does make it just a little too big, IMO.

I am really curious how the mk2 a/d performs compared to the 7xx and m10 when used with a front-end pre.  But also how it runs stand-alone...  More comps please!  ;)

I don't have an m10 or 7xx anymore, but can you give me an idea of what you're wanting to see?  I could try to run some specific test on the mk2 if you can give me a suggestion of what you're looking for or how to run a test.

And also general subjective usability compared to the m10, which is really excellent.

I agree.  I owned two M10's and they're great.  Again, I'm not sure what specifically you're after here.  I've used the mk2 now 5 times out in the field and there aren't any specific 'gotcha' features of the unit that stick out.  I think for apples to apples features, the m10 battery life is the biggest plus on it's side.  The multiple battery options is the big plus on the side of the mk2.  Another plus is XLRs, which of course lock down.  Finally, the ability to adjust channel levels independently is a plus for the mk2.

For non-apples to apples features, the mk2 clearly wins because it has many more features.  However, if those features aren't useful to you then that's not an issue.  The body of the review includes a summary of the difference in features.

Otherwise, as far as general subjective usability, I have no issues with either the m10 or mk2.  They both operate almost identical when you're out in the field.  They both have a pre-record buffer, two pushes of the record button are needed to actually start recording, the hold switch locks the same functions, etc.) 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com