Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iriver H1xx Tapers FAQ (beta)  (Read 102321 times)

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
Try running chkdsk /f on the iRiver from the PC

I ran chkdsk /r and was then able to transfer the file to my pc.  It appears to be fine on first listen.

Brian,
I knew that the cable linked wouldn't carry an optical signal.  I was just hoping that the iRiver would accept a digital input via the 1/8" jack.  Discovered that all 1/8" input goes through the A/D via line-in.  I'll probably buy a toslink > toslink cable for patching off of a UA-5 when not running my mics line-in (analog).  The iRiver's A/D doesn't appear too shabby on first listen.  Maybe not as good as my pcm-m1, but the other features the iRiver has makes it my recorder of choice for now (i.e no media, great levels, easy transfers).

Thanks for the help / suggestions.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
Bloody hell...petur's been fiddling with analog recording.

He just got 12 hours with his H3x0 (stock battery) by not boosting cpu during recording.   :o

Figures should be roughly the same on H1x0's.

This means with my 2200mAh battery I think I'd get about 18 hours analog recording time>:D

Nice work Petur!

This patch does not yet work with spdif recording.

Btw, the Rockbox 3.0 release has been delayed indefinitely largely due to a power-consumption issue with H3x0's.  It looks like that problem may be close to (if not already) fixed, so hopefully that means 3.0 will be released soon.

The main impact of a 3.0 release, apart from having a recognised stable build, is that the feature freeze will be lifted.  This means that developers who have been working on bug fixing will be released to work on new stuff, and developers who have been working on new stuff during the freeze will be able to commit their work.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
Btw, the Rockbox 3.0 release has been delayed indefinitely largely due to a power-consumption issue with H3x0's.  It looks like that problem may be close to (if not already) fixed, so hopefully that means 3.0 will be released soon.

The power consumption issue has been fixed (by amiconn), that was one reason to test recording duration with my (unreleased) unboost patch. I try to commit it as soon as I get some free time.
As I have no h1x0, I can't debug the spdif with unboost.

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
As I have no h1x0, I can't debug the spdif with unboost.

Is there anything we (those with H1x0's) can do to help?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
The only thing that's not clear is how the negative gain can work unless the ADC is never used full scale - otherwise you'd just have a smaller but still clipped signal. Must check on that some time ;)
Indeed, interesting problem.
I did look over the H1x0 schematics at the rockbox site, the input looks very basic. Did we overlook attenuation possibilities?

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
Re: iriver H1xx Tapers FAQ (beta)
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2006, 10:45:03 AM »
just thought I'd give the faq a little bit of a polish.

...nothing too earth shattering.  Largely just included some info unearthed in this thread.

Offline Wiggle

• Taperssection Member
  • So soft. Clearly meant to be loved by humans.
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2006, 12:22:51 PM »
just thought I'd give the faq a little bit of a polish.

...nothing too earth shattering.  Largely just included some info unearthed in this thread.

Just want to say thanks for putting the FAQ together. I just Rockbox'd my iRiver this morning and it came in quite handy.  +t
Open: SP C4/MSH-1O > Nick's Picks hydra cables > BM2P+ UA-5 > iRiver H120
Optional: Giant Squid cards > iRiver H120

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2006, 09:36:56 PM »
Thanks for the FAQ and all the help, bob.  Thanks to all the developers (Petur, etc.) for your hard work. +T's all around.

You may consider adding to the FAQ maintenance section the steps for formatting the hd via the iRiver firmware.  I had an issue while trying to format via windows xp today (kept hanging up) and was able to format via the iRiver firmware general menu successfully.

Also, be sure to drop by the team board occassionally.  I plan on posting more questions / comments / experiences over there from now on to keep from cluttering up the FAQ thread.
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2006, 08:36:33 AM »
You may consider adding to the FAQ maintenance section the steps for formatting the hd via the iRiver firmware.  I had an issue while trying to format via windows xp today (kept hanging up) and was able to format via the iRiver firmware general menu successfully.

Will do.  I've actually something similar in the past too.

On another front, it looks like we'll have a patch pretty soon that enables a long REC press from the file browser or WPS to go directly to the recording screen.  REC + PLAY will do the same, + start recording automatically:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=4932.0

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2006, 01:05:14 AM »
Guys:

I'm psyched.  After wasting my time to try and get my 4G Ipod to Record using Linux, I realized that it was a waste of time, and came to this site looking for the right answers.

After reading the wealth of info in this FAQ I was convinced that for the money I simply couldn't beat an iriver.

So I got me one from ebay for about $220.  H140.

I'm hoping to have this ready for a music fest in 7 days.(High Sierra, CA)  So even though I'm new, I was hoping for a few recommendations.

Being a closet musician of 20 years, I'm no stranger to recording but I've never tried it like this with portable gear.  So now that I have my recorder:

1)  I'm going to stick with analog for now:  Can you recommend a beginner mic setup less than 100 bucks that I can get quickly?
2)  What other quick start advice can you offer?  Like a Tripod that can mount to my head or something?

Thanks for all the effort.  I'm excited to capture some of the magic that I've seen in the last few years for later listening.

Zeke
GEAR:  Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 > MM Battery Box (minty fresh) > iRiver H160 w/Rockbox

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
Gain control shouldn't be confused with AGC (Automatic Gain Control).

AGC is basically hands-free controlling of levels (controlled by pre-selected variables) which is still just a rockbox patch (ie it hasn't been committed to CVS).

Basically, yes, the iriver's pre is used to add gain. iirc the pre is not used if gain is set to zero.  I believe digital decimation is used for negative gain, but I'm not 100%.  Petur?

I feel like an idiot.  Thanks Bob, this reply to one of my previous posts finally hit home.  When I've been referencing the AGC in my posts, I have been meaning simple 'Gain Control'.  I have never used AGC features (i.e. limiters) on any of my recorders and don't plan on it in the future.   
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2006, 11:59:31 PM »
1)  I'm going to stick with analog for now:  Can you recommend a beginner mic setup less than 100 bucks that I can get quickly?
2)  What other quick start advice can you offer?  Like a Tripod that can mount to my head or something?

1). Can't think of a solution for less than a bill.  Maybe a used Sony EMC or something.  I would recommend a used set of AT853's if you would be willing to spend more.

2). If your open taping, you definitely want to get a stand that goes at least 8' high (12' even better).  If your stealthing, try an 'in the hat' setup.  You would get some very odd reactions taping with a tripod attached to your head  :o

Edit: If open taping, you could also check into using a clamp with an extension arm / T-bar setup instead of buying a stand.  This will limit you to depending on other people's stands & suitable clamping spots in the venue (handrails, poles, etc.)

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 12:03:18 AM by cgrooves »
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2006, 01:39:55 AM »
After getting a partial refund of $100 for my defective H120, I went out and got a battery and a HD.

Replaced the old battery with a ipod 1G/2G 2200mAH battery sucessfully, using this vendor for around $13 delivered:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9734136003

Got an OEM bubble-pack Toshiba MK2004GAL which tested perfect with chkdsk and recording a half-dozen hour-long WAVs via the SPDIF from my modSBM (the root of my problems before) for $70 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9726301304

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2006, 10:29:38 AM »
Shaggy,
What vendor did you purchase your h120 from?
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline Chill

• Taperssection Regular
  • Got cat??
« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2006, 01:29:30 PM »
What mics are  compatible for direct into H-120 (have a hot enough signal to run line-in)

So fair I have heard these work well

CMC-2 (AT831)
CMC-8 (AT853)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com