Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iriver H1xx Tapers FAQ (beta)  (Read 101956 times)

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
Re: iriver H1xx Tapers FAQ (beta...but optical's committed. Woot!!!)
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2006, 10:55:37 PM »
To be fair, Finchy is referring to just analog line-in.

I asked Finchy to jump in here and give some feedback on his experiences w/ the H3xx because he's the only taper I know that's been using one.  So he's not trying to start a war. :)

I'd be interested to know how the battery consumption compares between the two units, along with the ADCs.  My gut says because of the colour the H3xx will suck a bit more juice, but I've no idea about which ADC it uses.

Damn some of those colour rockbox WPS's look good tho. :-)
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2006, 01:44:04 AM »
I just picked up this replacement battery for my iriver: UP325385A4H.

So that means I have to do this now, right?
"Please note that ipods have reversed polarity from irivers, so if you use an “ipod battery” you’ll need to reverse the battery wires at the molex connector."

I just want to make sure as I'm not really in the rocket science category.
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2006, 03:54:55 AM »
Zeus: That's correct.  You will need to flip the red and black wires around on the battery.

I'll try to update that faq tonight, but for now, just so you've got a little more info to go on:

First it might be worthwhile just quickly jotting down which wire is entering which side of the connector.  I got distracted once mid-operation, came back and couldn't remember for the life of me which wire was supposed to go where.  Now, use the tip of a very small screwdriver or a knife (but be very careful not to cut anything) to gently lever up one of the flaps on the battery's molex connector.  Then just gently pull the corresponding wire out.  Repeat for the other side.

While you've got the molex connector out on its own, using a razor you might like to shave off the tiny bottom lip/ledge (its like .5mm deep).  I've found this makes it a lot easier to fit the connector back into the board.

Now swap the wires around and gently press the flaps back down.

Now to remove the existing battery.  Just follow the guide I link to in the faq for this part.  The scariest part of this operation is pulling out the connector from the board.  Its difficult to remove because there's not enough room to pull it out.  You'll likely need to very gently apply upward pressure on one of the bottom corners, using a tiny screwdriver or toothpick.  Just be careful not to touch the board with the screwdriver - you shouldn't need to touch the board at all with it.  Once the battery is free, just plug the new battery in.  At this point you might like to wipe the inside of the screen down with a soft cloth (i use the cloth that comes with my prescription glasses).   Now just put everything back where it was.  Make sure you position the hold switch back in the correct notch...that's a dodgy description...but I think you'll figure out what i mean when you're there.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2006, 08:28:30 AM »
To be fair, Finchy is referring to just analog line-in.

I asked Finchy to jump in here and give some feedback on his experiences w/ the H3xx because he's the only taper I know that's been using one.  So he's not trying to start a war. :)

I'd be interested to know how the battery consumption compares between the two units, along with the ADCs.  My gut says because of the colour the H3xx will suck a bit more juice, but I've no idea about which ADC it uses.

Damn some of those colour rockbox WPS's look good tho. :-)

I've read the headphone section of the H300 series is identical to the H100 series on Head-fi.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2006, 10:55:03 AM »
yes, the h1xx and h3xx series use the exact same audio chip responsible for analog input and output.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2006, 10:58:39 AM »
At the moment the h3xx uses more battery when running Rockbox but this is considered a bug and will get fixed.

For your info, the latest tests on h1xx show that Rockbox gives you more runtime than iriver firmware :)

Offline FINCHY

• Taperssection Newbie
  • www.jbtlive.com
    • JBT Live
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2006, 11:34:32 PM »
Finchy, not gonna start a shoot out between the H1xx and h3xx series but my overall feeling is that the H1xx beats the H3xx series hands down since it has the optical-in, it is THE choice for anyone seriously recording (outboard AD).  If you look at what used units go for, I think you will agree.  I have already noticed the used price point creeping up since preglow's SPDIF patch was committed. 

When you decide to upgrade your gear, you are stuck with your H3xx analog section and AD, the H1xx does not limit you to it's own AD, you just go and score a modSBM and start to enter a completey different world of field recording...the transistion is dramatic.
Haha, yeh I've been through similar debates a few times. Over the last 3 years I have many times considered upgrading to an ADC & using optical input (I have a JB3 & optical MD as well as my H340), but considering there is nothing truely stealthy available it is not practical for me.

Consider for a second that I am from Australia, & compared to the States taping is still in it's infancy here & is NOT widely accepted! Therefore when taping shows here most of the time I need to be completely stealth! (Mics stands or anything visibly noticable are out of the question). & Anytime I have been casual with my taping I have been plagued with security guard hassles, or self-righteous mofo's who believe that they are saving the world by dobbing me in to security... or just hassles from people asking questions & talking etc (which I'm sure happens everywhere). Last year at a festival I had some yuppy prick hassle me claiming he'd seen me during the day (taping) & was convinced that I was concealing a bomb! :( Anyway so having established that I need to be steathy, the less equipment I have to carry (& conceal) the better! That means no extra battery modules & chunky ADC, or pre-amps, or converter plugs etc etc. & I've already mentioned in my earlier post that I think that anolog taping is fine for live recordings, unless you're doing soundboard source then 99% of the time Digital input is not necissary imo! There are many other dynamic factors that will compromise audio quality before you'd notice the limits of an anaolg line, eg: sound src & venue speakers, mic position stability, crowd noise, recording settings & bass roll-off & other filtering etc. Also the anolog soundboard source shows I've done sound nothing less than the few DSBD shows I've heard.

I respect that everyone has their own opinions & when it comes to taping it mostly comes down to locality factors, venues, policies, crowd, & last but not least: "Luck!". If you tape with digital source then no derr the H100 is better than H300 considering the H300 only records analog. I respect that, & if you'd read my post more closely I was specificly talking about analog taping only! It's all good for you to sit on ya high-horse & judge me by suggesting I'm not a "serious taper" just because I don't use optical digital, but I hope this post has highlighted that there are other factors to consider. It's not as simple for everyone else then how you put it.

My personal opinion is that H100 is the best portable optical WAV recorder, & H300 is the best analog WAV recorder (both with Rockbox). I have researched a lot of portable recording units a few times over the past 4 years (up until Aug '05), & I believe my opinion is well founded. You're enititled to your opinions too.

My ideal dream (if possible) would be digital USB stealth mics running directly into something small & self contaned like the iRiver. Digital source with minimal gear to carry ;)

To whataboutbob:
I haven't done extensive tests with battery usage on my iRiver (only basic testing), but since I've been recording WAV using Rockbox: I get about 5 to 5.5 hours out of a fully charged battery (standard battery), & obviously that is a little less the more the screen & any functions are used.

Btw: 1 other very nice thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts, I haven't tested it in the field yet but there is also Peak Light setting that will turn on the screen if the levels peak out at all (serving as an alert). I've tested this at home which seems to work great! But I never really get that issue anyway since I usually record with a little less gain to allow extra levels than the highest before peaking, still nice to have though. :D
CSC > iRiver H340 (w/ Rockbox)

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2006, 06:03:14 AM »
My personal opinion is that H100 is the best portable optical WAV recorder, & H300 is the best analog WAV recorder (both with Rockbox). I have researched a lot of portable recording units a few times over the past 4 years (up until Aug '05), & I believe my opinion is well founded. You're enititled to your opinions too.

Btw: 1 other very nice thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts, I haven't tested it in the field yet but there is also Peak Light setting that will turn on the screen if the levels peak out at all (serving as an alert). I've tested this at home which seems to work great! But I never really get that issue anyway since I usually record with a little less gain to allow extra levels than the highest before peaking, still nice to have though. :D
Considering the fact that the h1xx and h3xx use the same analog sound chip, I think choosing either of them is just a personal choice. At the moment the h1xx is slightly better as the h3xx port of rockbox suffers a power issue causing it to eat more battery than it should.

And I'm glad you like the clipping light, I'm quite proud of it. I'm thinking of adding a level to it so you can get an alert if passing a set level rather then actually clipping.

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2006, 06:19:41 AM »
For those that don't know (or haven't figured it out) petur's a rockbox developer and was one of the main drivers behind a lot of the recording development (including, obviously, the clip-light).

Petur, I really like the idea of a configurable clip-light level, but I'm wondering if we'll still be able to tell if its clipping?  I guess the thick clip bar things will still tell us that, won't they?  That way I suppose I could set it at about -3dB and visually monitor thereafter.

Finchy (and petur), thanks for your H3xx feedback...I'll do my best to incorporate it into the faq.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 08:49:46 AM by whatboutbob »

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2006, 08:30:58 AM »

Petur, I really like the idea of a configurable clip-light level

Me too  :)
Retired Taper

Offline joolz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2006, 10:48:55 AM »
cheers to petur and all the other rockbox developers :)
DPA4061>[SBM-1]>H120 (rockbox)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2006, 11:06:29 AM »

Ditto!  +T petur.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2006, 11:12:46 AM »

Ditto!  +T petur.

here here.... all hail petur!
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2006, 01:37:13 PM »
shhht. stop it.

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2006, 08:42:26 AM »
Good job petur!  Took my iRiver out for a real world spin last night.  Ron Popeil got it right when he said "Set it and forget it."  I just set my levels, hit record, and set the hold button.  I stopped and saved at the first encore of my show then started it right back up.  So small, so nice.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com