Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are The best interview mic's for the R-09HR working on the PIP feature?  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Bilal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I just have ordered the R-09HR and I want to make interview recordings with it. The locations will not be in a studio or whatsoever, but it will be in public/houses and their may be more than one person talking.

The PIP feature on this R-09HR recorder sources up to +2.9 volts for powering external mics. This is what I want to use for powering the chosen mic. I don't want to carry extra sources for powering the mic separately.

I have looked at the DSM microphones at sonicstudios, and I liked it to see them clipped on the eyewear, because of the hiddenes of it. But unfortunately they can't be powered from the PIP feature. Besides this, I do not know if this technology is the best suited technology for interview recordings.

Thank you.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
I just have ordered the R-09HR and I want to make interview recordings with it. The locations will not be in a studio or whatsoever, but it will be in public/houses and their may be more than one person talking.

The PIP feature on this R-09HR recorder sources up to +2.9 volts for powering external mics. This is what I want to use for powering the chosen mic. I don't want to carry extra sources for powering the mic separately.

I have looked at the DSM microphones at sonicstudios, and I liked it to see them clipped on the eyewear, because of the hiddenes of it. But unfortunately they can't be powered from the PIP feature. Besides this, I do not know if this technology is the best suited technology for interview recordings.

Thank you.

You can make your own $20 :)

I also have some Sound Professional SP-TFB-2's that sound identical to the home-made ones (i.e very good) but have some nice binaural clips $69. 

These would be great for interviews...listen to some of my spoken recordings R09/R09HR + SP or Home-Made)...

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=53799 (bird show, outdoor recording)

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=53384 (brewery tour, indoor recording)

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=53453 (cave, outdoor-into-cave)

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=38583 (bat cave, outdoor-into-cave)

work OK for ambient FX too..

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=34777 (thunder, outdoors)

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=33392 (restaurant, indoor recording)

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=38570 (didgeridoo)

digifish
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:58:35 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Bilal

• Taperssection Newbie
Would these binaural clips give beter recording quality than the internal mics (2?) of the R-09HR?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Would these binaural clips give beter recording quality than the internal mics (2?) of the R-09HR?

Yes.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Bilal

• Taperssection Newbie

Yes.

digifish

Thank you, i will give it a try to build it myself.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music

Yes.

digifish

Thank you, i will give it a try to build it myself.

Tip for quick-matching the output of capsules.

1. Put a bunch of capsules (in a line) face-down on a speaker laying on it's back (you need something with a smooth flat grille, radio?)
2. Tune the radio to FM hiss.
3. Plug the de-soldered headphone lead into your recorder and put into record mode so you can see the levels.
4. Work your way along the line of caps manually connecting the leads to the cap terminals, note the recording level.
5. Pick two that are closest. While you are there match up the rest into pairs for later.

digifish

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:30:03 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Bilal

• Taperssection Newbie
Alright, but I've already chosen the sp-tfb-2, because I couldn't find any capsules nearby.

But for future reference this may be useful. You tell me to put a bunch of it on a line, do you mean by this that the capsules may have a big range quality between each capsule and for this reason the testing should be done for best results by choosing two of them?

Also I have another question, I read in the manual of the sp-tfb-2 that it's also possible to record with the mic from the line in jack. Ofcourse this is without the powering of the PIP feature, but do you know of any big quality differences between the mic jack and line-in jack recording with this mic?

Thank you.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
The Sound Professional SP-TFB-2 microphones are great!
I wouldn't think of them as interview microphones but good luck to you.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
The Sound Professional SP-TFB-2 microphones are great!
I wouldn't think of them as interview microphones but good luck to you.

Laid on a desk/table between two people (as a pair of boundary mics) they work great. All my examples of speech they were in or over my ears.

digifish

- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music

But for future reference this may be useful. You tell me to put a bunch of it on a line, do you mean by this that the capsules may have a big range quality between each capsule and for this reason the testing should be done for best results by choosing two of them?

Also I have another question, I read in the manual of the sp-tfb-2 that it's also possible to record with the mic from the line in jack. Ofcourse this is without the powering of the PIP feature, but do you know of any big quality differences between the mic jack and line-in jack recording with this mic?

Thank you.

They can have differences of a few dB. If they are faulty they may not produce any output. Most times I have done this the majority of caps are indistinguishable on an R09/R09HR peak-display.

The mics don't work without PIP. I have never got a signal from the line-in jack.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com