Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Line In vs. Headphones  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Berkeleygrrrl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Line In vs. Headphones
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:45:37 AM »
Hi: I'm taking a podcast class and just received both my Edirol R-09HR and omni stereo lavelier microphone from Giant Squid.

I noticed that I seem to be able to record sound using either the MIC outlet or the Headphones outlet. The manual and the mic maker mention using only the former but, I am wondering: Would there be any problem using the Headphones outlet, especially when I have the Edirol in my shirt pocket with the cord dangling out?

I ask because I can envision times when it would be more convenient to use a socket that is at the top of a unit (where the Headphone outlet is), as opposed to the Mic outlet (which is on the side of the unit), as it would seem that there would be less of a chance for the microphone plug to accidentally fall out.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Line In vs. Headphones
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:52:47 AM »
Plugging the mics into the headphone plug only "works" because the R09HR wil defaul to recording from its internal microphones if you don't have an external mic plugged into the microphone input.  The built in mics aren't great to begin with, and will lose some fidelity if stuffed in your pocket as well.

So the external mics aren't doing you any good plugged into the headphone jack.  You may find the internal mics acceptable, depends on your purposes.  You could also get an adapter cable that has a 1'8" minijack input on one end and a right angle 1/8" miniplug on the other, that may make for a more secure connection for the external mics that's less likely to be bumped loose.

Offline Berkeleygrrrl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:19:53 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply to my question!

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 04:31:29 PM »
Chris Church can also mod the microphones in the R09, so that they sound much better than the stock microphones.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,98290.0.html
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »
As a bit of trivia...you can actually record with headphones in your mic-in jack, since headphones are merely microphones in reverse. Microphones convert a vibrating diaphragm into electrical signals, headphones do the opposite. Of course, they weren't designed to do that, so they're very easily overloaded, but they do pick up sound...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »
I noticed that I seem to be able to record sound using either the MIC outlet or the Headphones outlet
Let's be clear just to be sure - the mic socket is an input not an 'outlet' (sound goes into the recorder from the mic plugged into it) and the headphone socket is an output to headphones - which are designed to accept the voltage produced.  Mics are not and could quite well be fried by connecting to the headphone socket.

Offline Berkeleygrrrl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 10:50:59 PM »
Thanks for all the input!

Also, that mic modification looks very interesting: That's something I actually may want to do in the future.  I think I'll go with the stock setup for a while (at least until the warranty expires!) and see how I wind up using this device and I'll go from there.

Karen

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 01:22:03 PM »
I would recommend using your mics plugged into the mic-in jack, but remember to turn the 'plug-in power' on in the settings.  You can find a right angle adaptor for the mic on ebay for cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hosa-Audio-Adapter-Right-Angle-Stereo-1-8-Female-Male_W0QQitemZ110170556763QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19a6ad495b&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Oh, and Go Bears!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »
Chris Church can also mod the microphones in the R09, so that they sound much better than the stock microphones.

Yes the Micsketeer is the greatest.

Unfortunately the Micsketeer is a modified R-09 and Berkeleygrrrl has an R-09HR. Chris cannot modify an HR.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Berkeleygrrrl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 11:24:35 PM »
Grrrr! Go Bears! Thanks. I picked one of those up at Radio Shack yesterday.

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 07:51:43 PM »

Yes the Micsketeer is the greatest.

Unfortunately the Micsketeer is a modified R-09 and Berkeleygrrrl has an R-09HR. Chris cannot modify an HR.

also it's a lot harder to convince someone it's an mp3 player to be able to "closed" tape.....
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com