Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good way to mend a cracked screen on an R-09HR (cosmetic)?  (Read 5788 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Good way to mend a cracked screen on an R-09HR (cosmetic)?
« on: October 13, 2009, 04:10:07 PM »
It appears something in my bag hit the R-09HR at a bad angle the other night and made a 1" or so crack in the screen - or more accurately, in the protective plastic that overlays the actual screen. 

Currently, it's just cosmetic, and thus I could care less - but I am concerned about the crack getting worse and something actually damaging the display. 

I'm trying to think of something good to hold the screen together, but the only idea that comes to mind is plain old scotch tape, which isn't terribly elegant.  Is there maybe a better kind of tape that is thicker and more transparent that can both protect it and not impede my ability to see through the screen.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Good way to mend a cracked screen on an R-09HR (cosmetic)?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:12:23 PM »
How about a clear cell phone screen protector, cut to size?  It may help hold things together and will help prevent future scratches (but maybe not cracks...gotta knock the screen pretty good to get cracks, I think).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 06:54:20 PM »
Try super glue.  If the crack is tight enough and not all the way through that the LCD is exposed.  or try clear nail polish.  thats a little thicker. then you should use one of the clear screen protectors sugested.

which reminds me I have to get some myself.

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 10:55:19 PM »
You might try clear packing tape.  The stuff that gets taped over shipping labels.  It's thicker, wider (2") and clearer than scotch tape and is designed for strength and transparency since people need to read lables through it.  Just apply it carefuly so you don't trap air bubbles. 

Even thicker is the adheasive lamination plastic for self-laminating cards and such (as opposed to heat laminating machines).  They used to sell that stuff at dime and drug stores.

I'd be concerned about superglue or nailpolish making a mess and getting the display hard to read. The cellphone display protectors won't hurt anything but they don't really adhear so they won't hold the crack together and limit its propogation, they just cling statically to the surface and offer scratch protection.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:57:28 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »
You might try clear packing tape.  The stuff that gets taped over shipping labels.  It's thicker, wider (2") and clearer than scotch tape and is designed for strength and transparency since people need to read lables through it.  Just apply it carefuly so you don't trap air bubbles. 

Even thicker is the adheasive lamination plastic for self-laminating cards and such (as opposed to heat laminating machines).  They used to sell that stuff at dime and drug stores.

I'd be concerned about superglue or nailpolish making a mess and getting the display hard to read. The cellphone display protectors won't hurt anything but they don't really adhear so they won't hold the crack together and limit its propogation, they just cling statically to the surface and offer scratch protection.

I think that makes sense - packing tape seems like a good and pretty harmless way to hold it together... I am generally careful with the unit, so I don't anticipate much in the way of future problems.  It still mystifies me how something cracked it, but I guess I don't use a heavily padded bag...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 03:24:17 PM »
Pretty good ideas/advices.
Anyway, if I was you, I'd send it to Roland ( or authorized dealer) to have it fixed properly.
Take care  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »
When I sent my 1st R-09 in for jack repair it was 5 month out of warranty yet they repaired it at no cost and also replaced the slighlty scratched front cover with the integral plastic window, unasked.  A good business move as I later bought another R-09 and an R44.

YMMV.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flipzoso

• Taperssection Member
    • The Marble Shrine
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »
My display case is cracked. Like, a small piece actually fell out and onto the display screen, I removed it with a hair plucker. So now there is a crack and a hole on the glass part. So, I was wondering what my options are to repair this.

The recorder still operates fine. Its just that the brightness of the display is quite low and the text is bit more blurry. But it still works, thankfully.

Would I have to send this in to Edirol? How much would you estimate this repair to be? I guess I'd think it over if its worth having it fixed, but I am just curious to know my options.

Thanks in advanced.

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Hummm. I have a small crack in my display screen as well. I can't for the life of me figure out even how it got there as I typically have it in a f/pack and there's no way anything could of hit up against it to cause that damange and me not be aware of it. I'm wondering if there's some kind of defect since quite a few people have this issue on the HR. I'm wondering if this is a design defect as opposed to misuse.
Regards-
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 05:19:53 PM »
Whatever you do, don't use super glue.  It could wick behind the screen and that might permanently ruin the display.

I've never had a problem with my display.  Though I put a really thick self-adhesive aircraft polyester film over it when I got it.  Boeing Surplus rules.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com