Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is the best deck that allows you LOCK the gain control (i.e., not an M10)  (Read 9782 times)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Use gaffer or electrical tape and fold one end of it back on itself so you have a little tab you can pull on. You'll be able to pull the tape off just enough to adjust the gain and immediately re-secure the tape. Could not be easier and no one should  >:D taping without it.

Guysonic posted this tip here long ago so I gave it a shot & and it works great. I eventually took off my tape though. The wheel just isn't going to move on me.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:16:52 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline aosone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sometimes you have to mess with your recording level control.
That's why I don't have a M10. It's amazing that a product of a reputable brand needs a dirt piece of tape to work properly.

There isn't a sound tech or road crew anywhere that doesn't use tape. Dirt tape? I use gaffers tape. Markertek.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
That's why I don't have a M10. It's amazing that a product of a reputable brand needs a dirt piece of tape to work properly.

There isn't a sound tech or road crew anywhere that doesn't use tape. Dirt tape? I use gaffers tape. Markertek.

Dede is from Brazil, I think, and English is his 2nd language. I wish I spoke Portuguese as well as he speaks English.

Many people find that the M10 works great without the tape, I like it the way it is because I can lock the other functions and still change the record level without taking the hold off. The wheel on mine is stiff enough that it's not going to move on me, but all my recording clothes are baggy. How it would work stuffing it into a tight jeans pocket without tape is beyond me.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:35:36 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline aosone

• Taperssection Newbie

My control is pretty tight too, but I use tape on it anyway, force of habit. As has been mentioned, it's easy to make a tape flap that can be pulled back and re-applied easily if you have to. Personally, I know what levels I'm expecting and usually don't have to change anything. The awesome battery life of the M10 makes it very easy to set everything up before you even go into the venue and not have to worry about even touching the machine if you're stealthing it.

Of course, I'm an old guy and don't go to shows where they pat you down.  ;D

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star

Dede is from Brazil, I think, and English is his 2nd language. I wish I spoke Portuguese as well as he speaks English.

Many people find that the M10 works great without the tape, I like it the way it is because I can lock the other functions and still change the record level without taking the hold off. The wheel on mine is stiff enough that it's not going to move on me, but all my recording clothes are baggy. How it would work stuffing it into a tight jeans pocket without tape is beyond me.

Hey, fmaderjr, thanks for the kind works.  ;)
Well, there's nothing lost in translation here, really. The word "dirt" is a poor way to describe gaffers tape, but, hey, that's what it is: a cheap piece of plastic with adhesive on one side.
Aosone, yes, sound and crew guys are always using tape. But they do not have security thugs trying to spot them during a concert. I do.
My point is: I just can't perform tricks with a piece of tape when I'm recording live music. That's why I do not have a Sony.
But make no mistake: I wish I could.  :'(
They sound fantastic.
Take care.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
That's why I don't have a M10.
It's amazing that a product of a reputable brand needs a dirt piece of tape to work properly.

What recorder do you use?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
That's why I don't have a M10.
It's amazing that a product of a reputable brand needs a dirt piece of tape to work properly.

What recorder do you use?

Hello, Brian.
R-09HR or the old R-09.
I have plans for a new one though. A Tascam maybe.
Take care  :)

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
Why change the recording level during a musical performance?
We have 24 bits, you know the venue, the mics, the deck, maybe even the band or the regulations on sound levels.

The gain change will be audible...

So, why then is adhesive tape inadmissible?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
Why change the recording level during a musical performance?
We have 24 bits, you know the venue, the mics, the deck, maybe even the band or the regulations on sound levels.

The gain change will be audible...

So, why then is adhesive tape inadmissible?

Why change the recording level? Because sometimes you have to.  ;D
Hey, don't take this as a personal remark. I like the Sony stuff. I just don't don't like the fact that you have to improvise with a piece of gaffers tape, that's all.

Offline burris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
Slap a piece of plastic on the back that extends out beyond the knob, instant recessed knob.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
I just don't don't like the fact that you have to improvise with a piece of gaffers tape, that's all.

Me too, the idea does not please me.  We'll see how much of an issue it is once I get one.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
the knob does have some friction so its not like it spins like a bicycle wheel.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
I just don't don't like the fact that you have to improvise with a piece of gaffers tape, that's all.

Me too, the idea does not please me.  We'll see how much of an issue it is once I get one.

Same thing here,friend. ;D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
On of the cooler features of the Tascam I picked up for other reasons is that you can lock all onboard controls with the hold switch, but the included remote still functions.  It's great to lock it down, pocket it, then be able to stop or start recording and adjust levels via the remote by simply exposing the top of the recorder (location of the IR reciever and a small red indicator LED).  Pocket the remote and there is no chance of accidental adjustment since it is IR based and only works line-of-sight.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
On of the cooler features of the Tascam I picked up for other reasons is that you can lock all onboard controls with the hold switch, but the included remote still functions.  It's great to lock it down, pocket it, then be able to stop or start recording and adjust levels via the remote by simply exposing the top of the recorder (location of the IR reciever and a small red indicator LED).  Pocket the remote and there is no chance of accidental adjustment since it is IR based and only works line-of-sight.

Tascam? Which model?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com