Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is the best deck that allows you LOCK the gain control (i.e., not an M10)  (Read 9784 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
DR2d

Not sure if their other models with IR remotes work the same way or not.

I'm using it for it's 4 channel external input recording capability.  For my use the Rec/Start/Stop/Pause controls via remote are great.  I don't use the input-level adjustment via remote because it only affects the primary input pair (mic-in jack), not the secondary input pair (line-in jack).  The level adjustment via remote could be useful for stereo recording, or four channel if you only need to adjust the mic-input pari don't need to keep the gain mached between all four, but you'd need to see the meters or clip light to make doing that useful.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
^Hey GutB....  is the DR2D capable of 4channel recording with outboard mics?  Or is it 2channels of internal mics + 2channels of outboard mics/sbd?  Is it actually 4channels in the results....  or do the 4channels get mixed down internally?  Thanks....  I'm not familiar with the DR2D.....  sounds interesting if you can run 4mics into it!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Gutbucket

The DR2d is primarily designed a stereo recorder and like most pocket sized decks has two built-in mics and separate mic and line-inputs.  It's unique in that it has a feature called dual record, targeted primarily at making a second 'safety' stereo recording at a lower level, in case the primary recoring clips.  In that configuration it is two channels in, but writes two seperate stereo files.  Alternately it can be set for two seperate stereo inputs, comprised of either the 2 internal mics + a stereo external input, or 2 external stereo inputs using both mic and line-inputs simultaneously.  You can choose to mix those two stereo inputs internally and write a single stereo file, or write two seperate stereo files.  That configuration is primarily targeted at mics plus a soundboard feed.

That last configuration is how I use it- except instead of adding a soundboard feed, I'm using four external mics into twin CA-UGLYs, one feeding the mic-input, the other feeding the line-input.  I end up with two stereo files, providing 4 synced channels.

I previously used two R-09s with the same mics and preamps.  The DR2d allows me to eliminate one recorder and have the resulting files synced perfectly from the start.  The ability to lock-down and start with the remote is a very nice benefit, all the more so in my case because not only do I not need to start and stop two recorders anymore, I don't even need to take it out of my pocket to do so.  The external Energizer battery pack is key in that I don't need to worry at all about leaving the recorder on for long periods before or between sets and running out of juice.  I may be able to power both preamps from the same battery pack, but haven't tried that yet.  Doing so wouldn't really reduce size much, but would make for an easy way of managing and checking only one battery with more than enough reserve power.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

To answer your question more directy- Yes, you can use the DR2d to record 4 external mics to seperate tracks.  However, Plug-In-Power (and input level adjustmet via remote) is only available on the mic-input jack pair.  The line-input provides no mic powering and its input level is not adjustable while recording, only via a menu beforehand.

So it's slighly akward if you need to adjust levels for all four channels, but is the only pocketable 4-channel external input deck I know of besides the quite expensive Sonosax. 

I'd prefer a setting that provided two identical stereo line-inputs and linked their input gains, adjustable via the remote, but I'm more than happy with it as it is.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:38:54 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
DR2d

Not sure if their other models with IR remotes work the same way or not.

I'm using it for it's 4 channel external input recording capability.  For my use the Rec/Start/Stop/Pause controls via remote are great.  I don't use the input-level adjustment via remote because it only affects the primary input pair (mic-in jack), not the secondary input pair (line-in jack).  The level adjustment via remote could be useful for stereo recording, or four channel if you only need to adjust the mic-input pari don't need to keep the gain mached between all four, but you'd need to see the meters or clip light to make doing that useful.

Interesting. Does it sound good? Great? Just OK?
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
^^^Wow......  looks like I found my next gadget!  I've been fantasizing about a small, pocket recorder like this (but more like you said, with two line-inputs) for a way to run 4 small mics.  Fantastic!!!  Thank you for the information!!!  +T

What size Energizer are you using to power it? 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Gutbucket

The Energizer LIion battery pack is the X800 or something like that XP8000.  Cost me $60 from B&H with a mass of cables and adapters.  Has three output jacks: 5, 9-12, and 18Vdc.  Smaller than a DVD battery.  Details are in the DR2d thread.

It sounds as good as the recording you make with it.  ;)

Sync issues aside, I think it ultimately sounds significantly superior to my original R-09s on better recordings, but I've made stellar sounding recordings as well as crappy ones with the R-09s too.  I don't find the difference suprising as ADC technology and flash recorder competition have marched ahead.  I think any sonic difference is mostly ADC related in my case- I hear more smoothness and depth of soundstage & ultimate detail in the better recordings.  It's input stages are probably a good bit quieter as well, but I always run the external preamps so that is a non-issue for me and one reason I felt little need to move to the 09HR.   I still love the R-09 which is in someways superior in it's simple, rock-solid, absolutely trouble free reliability.  All in all I think the DR2d is a fantastic deal at $200 new for 4 tracks in a pocket.. I think I paid $300 each for the R-09s, a very good price 4 years ago.

[edited to correct battery pack model #]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:06:23 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
The Energizer LIion battery pack is the X800 or something like that.  Cost me $60 from B&H with a mass of cables and adapters.  Has three output jacks: 5, 9-12, and 18Vdc.  Smaller than a DVD battery.  Details are in the DR2d thread.

It sounds as good as the recording you make with it.  ;)

Sync issues aside, I think it ultimately sounds significantly superior to my original R-09s on better recordings, but I've made stellar sounding recordings as well as crappy ones with the R-09s too.  I don't find the difference suprising as ADC technology and flash recorder competition have marched ahead.  I think any sonic difference is mostly ADC related in my case- I hear more smoothness and depth of soundstage & ultimate detail in the better recordings.  It's input stages are probably a good bit quieter as well, but I always run the external preamps so that is a non-issue for me and one reason I felt little need to move to the 09HR.   I still love the R-09 which is in someways superior in it's simple, rock-solid, absolutely trouble free reliability.  All in all I think the DR2d is a fantastic deal at $200 new for 4 tracks in a pocket.. I think I paid $300 each for the R-09s, a very good price 4 years ago.

Thanks, friend. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Gutbucket

No problemo.

The Energizer LIion battery pack is the X800 or something like that XP8000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.162 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com