Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz 661 (Oade Concert Mod) with Core Sound HEB's  (Read 7065 times)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Re: Marantz 661 (Oade Concert Mod) with Core Sound HEB's
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 03:09:29 PM »

The DPA 4061s require 48v phantom when used with the XLR to microdot connector. So, it was XLR mic in, phantom on, attenuation set at -12db.

Let's see here...
(I almost forgot about this thread, since I'm not running this combo any more.)

So the dpa4061s that Len puts together use their own battery box that supplies the 48v phantom.
You were running a set that didn't have that, right?
Call me stupid, but does the 661 provide 48v straight up the line to the mics like that?

Could one simply unplug Len's battery and use the mic in & phantom from the 661 without frying the mics?

That is to say, is it possible to actually USE a set of Core Sound HEB's with the 661 in this way without modifying them?

once again, lost in all the noise

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
So the dpa4061s that Len puts together use their own battery box that supplies the 48v phantom.

Len's battery box provides no more than 9 volts plug in power. I think I heard it might be a little less.

48 volts will fry DPA 4060's-they can't take much more than 9 volts or so.

Dadbrad always seems to know what he's talking about, so if DPA's with the XLR to microdot connector require 48 volts, there must be something in the connector that steps the voltage down to 9 volts or less. I have such an converter that allows me to plug my DPA's with 1/8 plug into the phantom power of the 661 and steps the voltage down to about 9 volts.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »

Len's battery box provides no more than 9 volts plug in power. I think I heard it might be a little less.

48 volts will fry DPA 4060's-they can't take much more than 9 volts or so.

Dadbrad always seems to know what he's talking about, so if DPA's with the XLR to microdot connector require 48 volts, there must be something in the connector that steps the voltage down to 9 volts or less. I have such an converter that allows me to plug my DPA's with 1/8 plug into the phantom power of the 661 and steps the voltage down to about 9 volts.

Thanks, I don't know a whole lot about the capsule voltage, or what alternative "after market" options are available and how they work.

The set of 4061s I borrowed were setup to be used one of two ways:

1. Microdot connector to MMA6000 mini preamp, found here: http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=139&item=24255

2. Microdot to DAD6001-BC XLR adapter, found here: http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=138&item=24118

I chose to run the XLRs since I have the 661, and my buddy usually runs them that way into his 744T, but also will run the MMA6000 into a R09HR when super stealthy is required.

Also, there are other preamps and a huge collection of adapters for just about every make and model of wireless microphone transmitters: 

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Microphone-University/adapters.aspx

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Catalog&category=139

Hope this helps......
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 07:21:27 PM »
I have such an converter that allows me to plug my DPA's with 1/8 plug into the phantom power of the 661 and steps the voltage down to about 9 volts.

Could you show me a picture of that?
I'm going to want one of those!
Also, the question I really want to know is: does the phantom power provided by the 661 go straight up the line to the mics to successfully power them? You've seen the HEBs, they have an extra powering wire that leads to the battery box.

Could one simply unplug Len's battery and use the mic in & phantom from the 661 without frying the mics?

That is to say, is it possible to actually USE a set of Core Sound HEB's with the 661 in this way without modifying them?

...except for the converter you mentioned above?
Or does using these mics with this machine mean additional mods?

Thanks again, you guys!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »
I have such an converter that allows me to plug my DPA's with 1/8 plug into the phantom power of the 661 and steps the voltage down to about 9 volts.
Could you show me a picture of that?

It's like this one from Naiant (scroll down to the $59 phantom power adapter).
http://www.naiant.com/naiant/inlinedevices.html
Other companies make them too. I got mine from Sound professionals and it works great but if I had to get one now, I'd might go for the Naiant. Love the quality of Jon's products.

...except for the converter you mentioned above?
Or does using these mics with this machine mean additional mods?

No mods. You can use any mini-mics than run on 9 volts with the 661 (or any other recorder or preamp with phantom power) by plugging a phantom power adapter between the phantom power XLR's and the mics.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:54:33 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com