Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorder/mic setup and recommendations for oral history interviews?  (Read 8690 times)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: Recorder/mic setup and recommendations for oral history interviews?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 03:21:40 AM »
Heh, try getting people other than pro broadcasters to speak at steady volume!
[/u]

Yes. Set the levels low, check them and then connect with the people who are talking to you. Make them feel that it's a conversation, not a formal exchange.

Offline grapefruitvendor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »
One thing not mentioned in the context of oral history is the importance of not intimidating the subject with too much tech or too many instructions.  You get best results if they feel like they are just having a chat and no recording is happening.  And at the end of the day, it's what they say that counts rather than the quality of the recording (so long as you can understand it).

I like this advice, it helps me remember to keep it simple!

I've decided on the Zoom H1 (because I already have it) and two ATR 3350 lav mics. I tested this setup last night and was very pleased with the result. Going to record the interviews and give interviewees a copy of the CD. If I need to upgrade to different recorder or mics I can do this later once I have some experience and familiarity with my  equipment.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 01:54:33 AM »
That makes sense. Record at 24/96 if you can, keep the levels low and connect with the person you are talking to, which is the most important thing.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com