Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording for Audio Production  (Read 5618 times)

Offline Ace of Dubs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recording for Audio Production
« on: November 09, 2005, 02:01:00 PM »
The impression I get from this community is that the majority of you are into taping concerts. No doubt this facet of field recording has its own special considerations, especially when making expensive purchases. You all seem to know your sh!t and I appreciate your bravery because in a world of rushed production schedules, someone has to be the guinea pig.

I guess my question is, what would you buy if you were a recording artist, producing your own music? Not really interested in recording PA systems as much as ambient noises, voices, intstruments and other elements to color my tracks. I also DJ on the side and it would be very useful to be able to record sessions (RCA out from mixer) What do you think my wisest purchase would be a portable Recording Device?

- R4 seems cool. A little big and a tad more than what I need, but definitely a contender.
- MicroTrack looks hot, but there is no XLR, it has to boot up and you cant even replace the batteries? Screw that
- JB3 (or similar device) with PreAmp (I'd be interested in some opinions aside from Mic2496 or Denecke)
- V3 seems like a popular choice though I find it ugly and unwieldy in design. It's also damn expensive for not giving you an all-in-one solution.
- R1 Oade Mod sounds interesting, although after much searching I found very few posts on it. I guess not too many people have it.
- Was interested in seeing specs on Oade's Mod for the UA-5, but the link is broken.
- Marantz 671 Oade Mod seems tight. I think it only does 16-bit, but that really doesn't matter for what I do.

Ideally I would like to pay no more than $900 - $1,000 for the perfect setup.
Is this a rational request, or will I promptly be told to stop smoking crack?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recording for Audio Production
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 02:05:03 PM »
the 671 does 24 bit. the stock one is in your price range, the oade mod is more. you will still need a compact flach card (4gb ~$200).
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 02:08:54 PM »
Not Rational- $900-$1000 won't get you much.

You can go rca>mini into the JB3, but only using the internal A>D converter.

Depends what quality you want.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 02:11:07 PM »
an r4 will be beyond your budget.  That being said, I would get a 671
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 02:13:37 PM »
Ideally I would like to pay no more than $900 - $1,000 for the perfect setup.

Is this budget for the recorder only, or for ALL gear required to record in the field?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 02:15:30 PM »
how is the V3 an "unweildy" design whatever that means.

I think the V3 is the best designed pre/ad solution out there.  it looks slick and is built like a tank.

Stop smoking crack....save...and buy a SD722 ;D ;) :P

Offline Ace of Dubs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 02:44:43 PM »
The R4 is a little out of my budget, but it seems like a great deal for all it offers. I would go out on a limb for it if only it were more compact...

An SD722 is way out of the question. No way I am dropping 2 grand!

Looks like Marantz 671 is my best buy then. The basic mod fits my budget. I am curious to hear any experiences yall may have had with oade (customer service, punctuality, etc)

My mind is almost made up - but just watch, I will plunk down my hard-earned cash and the next day something cool will come out.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 02:55:34 PM »
didn't anybody tell you to leave your wallet at the door when you started this hobby?

;D

Offline Ace of Dubs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 03:01:19 PM »
didn't anybody tell you to leave your wallet at the door when you started this hobby?

;D

A wallet I can spare to leave, the problem is that these companies want my entire bank account!
When I am hungry, I can't exactly chew on 24bits of overly priced, hifi audio.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 06:37:37 PM »
The new Tascam CF recorder, but it's not out yet. Next month I think.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Ace of Dubs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 08:43:10 PM »
The new Tascam CF recorder, but it's not out yet. Next month I think.

Thanks for that one. I am curious how good the converters will be. But from the looks of it, we seem to have a new reigning champion!

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 01:03:46 AM »
Have a loaner MT24/96 for a few weeks bench and field recording tests and am encouraged with firmware V 1.1.5 fixing most serious problems to make this deck usable, but much more refinement still required to make at least the VU metters less erratic, and maybe stabilize the action of the REC level adjust buttons.

At least the analog-digital hardware designers seem to have done excellent work, especially for such a small size deck.   The best news is after running noise analysis, MT24/96 analog input seems exceptionally solid for 24bit/96K low noise field recording with just directly connecting almost any type of (better with self powered) microphone into the TRS inputs.   

Taking forever to finish a field recordist viewpoint review of this deck, but maybe take a look at the 'alpha' pre-review at: www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 08:00:26 AM »
Have a loaner MT24/96 for a few weeks bench and field recording tests and am encouraged with firmware V 1.1.5 fixing most serious problems to make this deck usable, but much more refinement still required to make at least the VU metters less erratic, and maybe stabilize the action of the REC level adjust buttons.

At least the analog-digital hardware designers seem to have done excellent work, especially for such a small size deck.   The best news is after running noise analysis, MT24/96 analog input seems exceptionally solid for 24bit/96K low noise field recording with just directly connecting almost any type of (better with self powered) microphone into the TRS inputs.   

Taking forever to finish a field recordist viewpoint review of this deck, but maybe take a look at the 'alpha' pre-review at: www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm
Thanks for the review!

What impedance for 1/4" TRS inputs did you measure? (balanced, unbalanced?)

BTW: Anyone know how to defeat the ever present 14 dB or so gain that cannot be switched off through the setup?
I'd gladly have someone solder a bit so the gain is gone or at least cut in half.
Anyone?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 08:53:35 AM by udovdh »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 10:27:44 AM »

Thanks Leonard for this great (unfinished) review of the MT, extremely useful chart of the gain structure especially (which makes it seem like M-Audio had an idea at work here that was not evident in my disorganized observations). 

Do you see a great improvement using the lowest gain level setting in line-in (1/4" plugs) with your mics and preamp set to 20, versus the full gain (up 12 dB) on line-in with the Sonic Studios preamp set at +10?

+T

Jeff

Offline Ace of Dubs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 03:31:10 PM »
UPDATE: After talking with a few members here, I have decided to spring for a MT as soon as possible. Combined with a hot preamp, it will meet my needs for now. Now if only I could decide which preamp! So far I am contemplating these badboys

- V3
- MiniMe
- Mytek ADC 096

Looks like you are off to a great start there. Thanks for sharing!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com