Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 Substitute Please  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Ace of Dubs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
JB3 Substitute Please
« on: November 10, 2005, 11:52:48 AM »
Okay, so you guys may think I am nuts, but I have pretty much given up on an all-in-one solution. That's right, even if someone offered me an SD722 for half price, I would turn it down. Why? Because I realize that I need a solution for field and studio work. Something that is portable, yet integrates seemlessly with my DAW as a sound card (running Logic Pro on my G4 Powerbook) The answer? A modded UA-5. I get phantom power, great converters, USB connectivity all in one box and the price is right. The only missing link is storage...

Now I can already hear a million of you typing the letters "JB3" in unison, and I think it's a pretty cool idea.
Only real gripes are:

- No 24-bit
- No CF (have to deal with moving parts)
- No Level Monitoring
- Horrible design. It looks like an outdated CD player

I've done tons of searches on JB3 and so far it seems like it's the only reliable storage solution on the market. I find that surprising, but so far I have not discovered any other digital recording device that can make that claim. What is wrong with these companies? When will they wake up and smell the money? We may be a niche market but we don't exactly spend pennies here. There is such an unprecedented demand for this stuff, it makes me wish I had enough dough to start a business and make the damn device myself. I could hire Oade on a consultant basis and you guys could become our marketing team. We'll call it something mainstream, like "iTape" and sell consumer gear with options for upgrades. Shit, I am already planning on how to spend the millions we can make off this racket.

six-person jacuzzi for two - check
Ferrari Testarossa - check
small island with all female population - double check!

Wow, I feel better already. My friends, today is a great day in audio history.
+T to all those fine honeys waiting for me on the island.

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re: JB3 Substitute Please
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 12:06:14 PM »
obviously we are ALL waiting on the microtrack 2496.

fostex fr-2 has proven field reliable.

marantz 671 has proven field reliable.

I've done tons of searches on JB3 and so far it seems like it's the only reliable storage solution on the market. I find that surprising, but so far I have not discovered any other digital recording device that can make that claim. What is wrong with these companies? When will they wake up and smell the money? We may be a niche market but we don't exactly spend pennies here. There is such an unprecedented demand for this stuff

obviously none of us have any empirical data to support this statement, but what we do (high-resolution recording in the field) is very much in the minority.  don't you think?  These larger companies spend A LOT of money figuring out what the demand is, and I have a feeling they would of have met our needs a long time ago if we represented a large market. I could be wrong, maybe times are changing.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 12:09:22 PM »
So, turning your gripes into desired features reveals you want:

<1> 24-bit capability
<2> CF media
<3> Level monitoring
<4> "Good" aesthetic design

The MicroTrack 24/96 fits <1-2>, marginally fits <3> but will likely improve with future firmware releases, and <4> is purely personal opinion.  Note the MT2496 has just hit the market recently and they don't yet have all the bugs worked out.  But, as a digi-in bit-bucket, it works quite well up to  24/48 for a whole slew of people.  It does not yet support 24/96 via digi-in.  You may also consider an SVU-1 or -2 for your level metering needs.

There are also a handful of new recorders hitting the market right now, so if you're not in a hurry, you may want to stick with 16-bit and see how the market shakes out.

I've done tons of searches on JB3 and so far it seems like it's the only reliable storage solution on the market.

Uhmmmm...all the portable DAT players are well proven:  Sony D7/D8/D100/M1, Tascam DA-P1, etc.

We may be a niche market but we don't exactly spend pennies here.

In the context of the broader consumer and pro markets, our niche market represents less than pennies.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 12:17:14 PM »
- No Level Monitoring

Um...this statement isn't completly true. The JB3 does have level meters...they just suck.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

philb

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 10:02:19 PM »
The FR-2 is very reliable!!

Offline Ace of Dubs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 11:14:47 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I would +T you all for your help, but I am a lowly noob and don't know how.

All I know is I got -3T which means I am as popular as ever  :-[

Offline manleyf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • http://SoulCoustic.com
    • Separate Reality Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 09:48:45 PM »
I currently own a JB3, and have been happy with it IF I don't have trouble with the input jack- which seems to drop on the right channel, even after doing the mod to clear the lip. 

If the jack stays PERFECTLY still, I get good recordings.

So- how about the Archos 402?  Anyone have an opinion on that?

For MD, and CF is not a good option- to costly and you pottentially have to switch media- all though the AD/DA's are probaby nicer, I want a HD based recorder.

Are the AD/DA on the Archos as good as the JB3? 

TIA for any feedback on it!
Earthworks SR30/SRO > V3 > MT/JB3
Church Audio Pro-Cards/Mini-Omnis > ChruchAudio 9100 PreAmp > MT/JB3
http://RecordMeLive.com
http://SoulCoustic.com

Offline funkateer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 02:01:23 AM »
I've got an Archos 402 20gb and have used it to record several shows. I also use the Sound Professionals otter box with mic preamp to feed the 402's line in, and a pair of AT943 mics. So far I'm very happy with this rig. No glitches, USB connectivity is a snap and works the way you expect it to. The only issue is I need a pad with more attenuation in the preamp for some of the louder shows.

Offline chuderewicz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 12:06:48 AM »
I just bought this product and I think the recording quality is really good:
I bought a mini Sony condenser mic to go with.  Spent about $220.
I'm happy so far.   

Sony Hi-MD™ Walkman® Digital Music Player MZ-RH910

zowie

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 12:10:53 AM »
I've got an Archos 402 20gb and have used it to record several shows. I also use the Sound Professionals otter box with mic preamp to feed the 402's line in, and a pair of AT943 mics. So far I'm very happy with this rig. No glitches, USB connectivity is a snap and works the way you expect it to. The only issue is I need a pad with more attenuation in the preamp for some of the louder shows.

So don't use the preamp.

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 01:58:30 AM »
lol, I bought a MT, then bought a jb3 in the yard sale, bc I thought they were rare to be sold used
anyway, much bucks later, Im scratching my head and using the MT
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 09:33:08 AM »
why would a SD744 or SD722, not do the trick?

It has a CF card, great levels, 24/192 or 24/96 or 24/48, and it is a very smooth looking and small device.

the bugs have been worked out and you get what you pay for, seemingly high-quality recorder (seemingly = i don't have the $$ yet, but i've used it a bit)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com