Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack not multitrack....  (Read 3905 times)

Offline bewildered

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Microtrack not multitrack....
« on: October 21, 2006, 08:32:53 PM »
I was under the impression when i got this thing that i would be able to multitrack with it somehow, but now that i play with it im at a loss on how exactly that would occur. I tried recording a track, then loading the audio file onto my comp, playing it through my headphones while recording a second track. the MT actually picked up the audio that was playing through my closed monitor headphones almost as clear as the original track, not sure if thats a good or bad thing, but it seems that if i were to multitrack that way the MT would have to be in a seperate room than the headphones that are playing previous tracks, so maybe i would have to construct a sound proof chamber that the MT and one instrument could sit in..... or not.

Im getting the impression that the MT is specifically for recording sounds that cant be captured inside of my room, and that its not very good for multitracking or recording instruments.

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Microtrack not multitrack....
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:29:56 PM »
Um, what gave you the impression the Microtrack 24/96 is a multitrack recorder?
It isn't!

It does a pretty good job of recording a single high-resolution stereo .wav file though.

Offline bewildered

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 12:52:02 AM »
super.

This whole studio thing is costing me at least a grand in hardware alone, not including the soundcard i had to get because my audigy ZS pro was a POS,  and i was lucky enough to have this kickass soundsystem donated to me. Im sitting on a couple grand worth of gear right now and i still dont have what i need to produce anything. So i need a mutlitracker.... any suggestions on where to start learning about what to look for in one?

cant i use my computer as a mutlitracker? i got cubase sx3 + audiophile 192 card.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 07:15:58 AM »
I am pretty sure the Audiophile 192 card is only a two tracker, but iirc that card is stackable so that you can buy another and gain another track.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 12:29:02 PM »
I was under the impression when i got this thing that i would be able to multitrack with it somehow, but now that i play with it im at a loss on how exactly that would occur. I tried recording a track, then loading the audio file onto my comp, playing it through my headphones while recording a second track. the MT actually picked up the audio that was playing through my closed monitor headphones almost as clear as the original track, not sure if thats a good or bad thing, but it seems that if i were to multitrack that way the MT would have to be in a seperate room than the headphones that are playing previous tracks, so maybe i would have to construct a sound proof chamber that the MT and one instrument could sit in..... or not.

Im getting the impression that the MT is specifically for recording sounds that cant be captured inside of my room, and that its not very good for multitracking or recording instruments.

bud, you need to research better...check out the Motu Traveler, m-audio delta 1010, presonus firepod, for multitrack devices...and if you are "stacking" the tracks, any recorder out there is a multitracker..actually cubase is a multitrack program..

Offline bewildered

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »
Those are like $600+ components! maybe the mutlitracking device that your thinking of is not the one that im thinking of, cause none of those "interfaces" look anything like what ive seen people use before. I saw this prodigy string player come over to a friends house and set up his equipment, which was basically the mic and boom which was connected to this mutlitracking device that had those old sound meters on it which was connected to a speaker for playback. all he did was record a track, assign the tracks he recorded to play back into his headphones which played while he recorded the next track, and so on untill he had a composition.

So what im basically looking for is a device in which to plug a mircrophone into which will record tracks and play them back through headphones  in time with the recording of the next track. Isnt that a mutlitracker? i know i sure as hell dont need 10 mic ports for anything, i dont mean mutlitrack as in i have 10 people recording simultaenously.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 03:20:04 PM »
Lots of software can be used for your needs if all you want to do is lay down tracks to mix later.  For example, in wavelab, you can use the montage function to combine tracks and mixdown.  Record a track.  Then record another, mix it down later.  Problems will arise though with drift.  IMO, Teddy's suggestion of a motu traveler was a good one.  Not only does it have 4 preamps and many more ins and outs, it has a built in wordclock (for accurate mixing of tracks later without drift issues) and also acts as a firewire interface with you computer or can be used in standalone mode.  This would give you options of laying down 1 to 18 tracks(with additional pre'/ad's) simultaneously. 

About spending money.  If you want decent results, you are gonna have to spend money.  There is no cheapo solution.  $600 for a used motu (just add computer and you are all set) is dirt cheap as a solution to your needs.  Spend some time (not just 30 minutes but a couple days) and research this.  Check out other forums (most of the talk here is on 2-4 channel ambient recordings). 

Your micotrack is only good for one thing, a 2channel 24bit bitbucket via spdif.  Teddy's and mine suggestion of the motu is just one among many.  Research firewire interface and read up on the products that look like they may suit your needs. 

RebelRebel

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 03:53:41 PM »
like I said..Cubase has the ability to do what you described..all you need is a device to get the audio INTO cubase(interface such as the presonus firepod, motu, onyx traveler, etc), and you will be able to accomplish what you need..or one of the devices I mentioned earlier...OR there are a number of home studio demo type machines like the Tascam Portastudio, etc that will work..you just have to research..there are no simple answers, and it aint cheap..check your wallet at the door. Why not ask your friend what the "prodigy" used?

Those are like $600+ components! maybe the mutlitracking device that your thinking of is not the one that im thinking of, cause none of those "interfaces" look anything like what ive seen people use before. I saw this prodigy string player come over to a friends house and set up his equipment, which was basically the mic and boom which was connected to this mutlitracking device that had those old sound meters on it which was connected to a speaker for playback. all he did was record a track, assign the tracks he recorded to play back into his headphones which played while he recorded the next track, and so on untill he had a composition.

So what im basically looking for is a device in which to plug a mircrophone into which will record tracks and play them back through headphones  in time with the recording of the next track. Isnt that a mutlitracker? i know i sure as hell dont need 10 mic ports for anything, i dont mean mutlitrack as in i have 10 people recording simultaenously.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 03:55:29 PM by Teddy »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 05:05:51 PM »
Tascam Portastudio

This (or something in the same "family") is undoubtedly what he is referring to.  The Microtrack is NOT one of these, sorry.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline bewildered

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 06:35:05 PM »
oh ok, i figured cubase does the same thing, and my audiophile 192 should work fine, i still got 2 sets of in's and outs which should support up to 4 mic's, not that ill be using more than one. I guess all i have to find now are a pair of closed monitor headphones that dont leak like these crappy audiotechinca m40's.

RebelRebel

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 06:44:32 PM »
oh ok, i figured cubase does the same thing, and my audiophile 192 should work fine, i still got 2 sets of in's and outs which should support up to 4 mic's, not that ill be using more than one. I guess all i have to find now are a pair of closed monitor headphones that dont leak like these crappy audiotechinca m40's.

go with these.

http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html

I know the guy that sells those, and he knows his stuff, and is a recording legend. They give great isolation for little money.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 01:30:16 PM »
Vegas also handles this with ease (with a working audio interface of course). You can select a region, and just loop one take after another into a track. Then pick the take you liked best. Video types use this all of the time for ADR work, but works great for multitracking too -- but you need an audio interface first.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 05:18:05 PM »
You need the following

1 - a microphone : (sort of guessing you have one). Don´t forget a mic stand, mic holder and (if it is a condenser mic) a pop filter.
2 - a cable from microphone to preamp
3 - a microphone preamp: taking the very weak output from the microphone to a level the sound card can use
4 - a cable from preamp to sound card
5 - a sound card :  the Audiophile is definitely a working solution
6 - a software application : Cubase definitely does the job!
7 - a cable from sound card to headphone amplifier
8 - a headphone amplifier: the sound card probably will not drive a headphone directly
9 - headphones : as you say, closed is a good idea. A work horse in studios is the Sony MDR7506.

There are other sound cards that combine 3,5 and 8 in the same "box", making 4 and 7 unnecessary.
One alternative for getting 3 and 8 may be a small mixer.

Most of all I think you need good info and help with your research. I would say that a good music store should be able to help you out. It might cost you a little more going that way, but you save on not buying the wrong things.

Gunnar

Offline branas

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 07:29:54 PM »
ghellquist layed it out nicely for you. Welcome to the world of home studio recording, where savings accounts disappear and 2nd mortgages become viable alternatives  ;D
Mobile - C414B-XLS/ST->V3->744T
Home/Studio - Various Mics->RNP/Vintech Dual72/Focusrite OctoPre->Digi002->ProToolsLE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com