Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Archos Gmini400 or 402 users  (Read 3372 times)

Offline HARPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My show list
Archos Gmini400 or 402 users
« on: December 08, 2006, 09:04:14 PM »
Greetings!

I was wanting to get a feel of the pros and cons from anyone out there who is using either of these devices for recorders out there. I've found a couple of threads through the search, but would really like to ask some specifics. Using these does seem like there would need to be a little more of a build up to make it a good solid rig and would like to know what others are using.

I would love to know if anyone is using the otter box setup through SP  http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-PREAMP-4  and what type of AD (if any) and mics as well.

Thanks!

HARPER
HARPER
"Not all who wander are lost..." G.
"We don't talk so much. We let the music speak for itself." -JM

Offline pschneider

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Archos Gmini400 or 402 users
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 07:42:15 AM »
Greetings!

I was wanting to get a feel of the pros and cons from anyone out there who is using either of these devices for recorders out there. I've found a couple of threads through the search, but would really like to ask some specifics. Using these does seem like there would need to be a little more of a build up to make it a good solid rig and would like to know what others are using.

I would love to know if anyone is using the otter box setup through SP  http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-PREAMP-4  and what type of AD (if any) and mics as well.

Thanks!

HARPER

Hi,

the Gmini 400/402 are analog in only - adding an AD would be a waste of money ;)

I don't know the SP otter box. From looking at the description and picture, I like the fact that it comes with a special Gmini connection cable. This eliminates the Y-Adapter and one dreaded 3.5mm mini-jack connection for line in to the recorder which can be a source for glitches in the recording.

My setup consists of a pair of Studio Projects C4 mics (usually I use the omni caps) and an M-Audio DMP-3 preamp. I don't stealth so the stability of the cable connection is not an issue.

Peter

Offline dreyfuss

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 08:20:11 AM »
I've been running the 402 with the otter box, it's pretty easy to use and even with the (smaller) otter box it's a little larger than say a D7 or D8.  I use the SP version of Audio Technica AT831's with it.  I've made some fantastic recordings with this set up but every now and then (seems to be more recently) I get some pops throughout the recording, not sure why either.

The other downfall is that the screen is incredibly bright and I havn't found a way to turn it down, so if you want to check you levels during a show that you're stealthing you have to be careful to make sure no security is around.

The Edirol R9 is almost the same size and looks like its a way better unit, you can do 24bit witch is a nice feature.  I don't think I'll be using my gmini much longer for stealthing as I keep getting some weird pops, I'll go back to using my D8 probably.  Or breakdown and buy the R9.
Countryman ISOMAX 2 -> Tascam DR100

Offline pschneider

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 08:51:34 AM »
I've made some fantastic recordings with this set up but every now and then (seems to be more recently) I get some pops throughout the recording, not sure why either.

I used to have some pops in the recordings, but ever since I either defragment or empty the drive before a new recording session, I haven't heard those pops any more. Have you checked if you have a recent enough firmware revision?

Peter

Offline Semayat

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Reggae Taper
    • Reggae live
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 08:04:12 AM »
Hi,

How long the gmini400 battery last when you record show???
Do you guys think it's enough for a 2 hours+ long show???

Tks for your helps

Bye
Semayat
Selling : SP CMC-2, SP SPSB-1

Taping rig :
Mics : SP CMC-4 (AT853's)
Preamp : CA9100 (V3.2)
Recorder : Ihp-120, H2

Offline pschneider

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:37:05 PM »
How long the gmini400 battery last when you record show???
Do you guys think it's enough for a 2 hours+ long show???

I see no problem; my "old" Gmini 400 still lasts more than two hours for recording. I set up the energy options so that the screen backlight turns off after 20 seconds and the harddisk after 10 secs of inactivity. This way the drive only spins up when the RAM buffer is full.

Peter

Offline Semayat

• Taperssection Regular
  • Reggae Taper
    • Reggae live
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 03:10:12 AM »
Tks for the information...I think i'll try for my next show  ;)

Bye
Semayat

Taping rig :

Offline HARPER

• Taperssection Regular
    • My show list
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 07:03:54 AM »
I found these posts on a Google websearch of Archos Gmini 402. SP no longer sales the Gigatracker set, but does still sell the Otter Box with the mic preamp.

Thought it may be helpful to others out there looking at a Gmini 402 and I hope too, that it may insite some comments from the regulars about pros/cons of the device. The more opinions, the merrier!

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/static/SP-GIGATRACKER.html

http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/2006-04/msg00274.html

http://www.propheticdesire.us/microsound/html/2006/2006-03/msg00014.html

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/instructions/SP%20PREAMP-4.doc

« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:36:05 AM by HARPER »
HARPER
"Not all who wander are lost..." G.
"We don't talk so much. We let the music speak for itself." -JM

Offline Semayat

• Taperssection Regular
  • Reggae Taper
    • Reggae live
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 05:56:56 AM »
The other downfall is that the screen is incredibly bright and I havn't found a way to turn it down, so if you want to check you levels during a show that you're stealthing you have to be careful to make sure no security is around.

You've to make sure you turn down the light in settings, as well as for the harddrive...or the battery won't last for a big show. that's truly a bad point for that little deck  ::)

I used to have some pops in the recordings, but ever since I either defragment or empty the drive before a new recording session, I haven't heard those pops any more. Have you checked if you have a recent enough firmware revision?

That's a good information, tks for the tips  :D

Bye
Semayat

Taping rig :

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com