Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Jukebox 3+optical input?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline blackdiesel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Jukebox 3+optical input?
« on: April 05, 2007, 08:45:09 PM »
INorder to plug mics in the optical input, do I have to use a Hosa signal converter?  If so, what's the difference between a Hosa 276a and a 312? Thanks in advance.

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
Re: Jukebox 3+optical input?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 09:05:37 PM »
INorder to plug mics in the optical input, do I have to use a Hosa signal converter?  If so, what's the difference between a Hosa 276a and a 312? Thanks in advance.
What is your signal coming out of, and what kind of cable is it?  That would determine what you need (if anything).
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:13:26 PM »

First of all, as you may know, you'll need a digital signal at the input of the NJB3. If I'm not wrong, HOSA only converts coax to optical and reverse, so you may need a preamp which could make that A/D conversion (AD-20, UA-5,etc...)

That way you'll need similar setup to: mics > preamp > digital > NJB3
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline blackdiesel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:15:09 PM »
Thus far I have a JB3, a pre-amp and some Church mics. 

Offline blackdiesel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 09:21:21 PM »
What are some A/D converters?  Please give the name-brand and model so I can look them up.  What are some suggestions? 

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:01:46 PM »
The Denecke AD-20 is a popular and small(er) A>D.

Sound Professionals sells them. Not sure if they are the cheapest, but I've heard good things about them otherwise:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/DEN-AD20
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 12:36:59 AM »
INorder to plug mics in the optical input, do I have to use a Hosa signal converter?  If so, what's the difference between a Hosa 276a and a 312?

The JB3's optical input double as an 1/8" stereo analog input.  So to answer your first question:  you do not need a digital format converter to plug mics + battery box / preamp into the JB3's 1/8" analog input.

The Hosa ODL-312 and ODL-276 convert different digital formats to S/PDIF over optical cabling.  The ODL-312 converts AES/EBU to S/PDIF over optical, while the ODL-276 converts S/PDIF over wire to S/PDIF over optical.

For the sake of discussion, let's make sure we distinguish between <1> digital format conversion (DFC) and <2> analog to digital conversion (ADC).  Digital format conversion (like the Hosa ODL-xxx boxes) doesn't deal with analog signals at all.  Digital format conversion simply converts one digital format to another.  These DFCs are useful if one runs an external ADC that outputs a digital format different than the one required by the recorder's digital input.  For example, the stock Lunatec V3 outputs S/PDIF over coax while the JB3 requires S/PDIF over optical.  In this example, one might use a DFC - like the Hosa ODL-276 - that converts S/PDIF over coax to S/PDIF over optical.  (One may also have the V3 modded to output S/PDIF over optical, but that's outside the scope of the example.)

Analog to digital conversion (ADC), on the other hand, converts the analog signal from your mics and battery box / preamp into the digital realm.  The JB3 has an ADC built in, so technically you can just feed it an analog signal from your mics and  battery box / preamp.  In fact, I'd try that first and see if you like the results - if so, great.  If not, then you can start looking at external ADCs.

What mics and battery box / preamp are you using?  In what scenarios do you plan to record - open or stealth, loud rock & roll or unamplified acoustic or nature sounds or...?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline blackdiesel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 02:39:55 AM »
INorder to plug mics in the optical input, do I have to use a Hosa signal converter?  If so, what's the difference between a Hosa 276a and a 312?

The JB3's optical input double as an 1/8" stereo analog input.  So to answer your first question:  you do not need a digital format converter to plug mics + battery box / preamp into the JB3's 1/8" analog input.

The Hosa ODL-312 and ODL-276 convert different digital formats to S/PDIF over optical cabling.  The ODL-312 converts AES/EBU to S/PDIF over optical, while the ODL-276 converts S/PDIF over wire to S/PDIF over optical.

For the sake of discussion, let's make sure we distinguish between <1> digital format conversion (DFC) and <2> analog to digital conversion (ADC).  Digital format conversion (like the Hosa ODL-xxx boxes) doesn't deal with analog signals at all.  Digital format conversion simply converts one digital format to another.  These DFCs are useful if one runs an external ADC that outputs a digital format different than the one required by the recorder's digital input.  For example, the stock Lunatec V3 outputs S/PDIF over coax while the JB3 requires S/PDIF over optical.  In this example, one might use a DFC - like the Hosa ODL-276 - that converts S/PDIF over coax to S/PDIF over optical.  (One may also have the V3 modded to output S/PDIF over optical, but that's outside the scope of the example.)

Analog to digital conversion (ADC), on the other hand, converts the analog signal from your mics and battery box / preamp into the digital realm.  The JB3 has an ADC built in, so technically you can just feed it an analog signal from your mics and  battery box / preamp.  In fact, I'd try that first and see if you like the results - if so, great.  If not, then you can start looking at external ADCs.

What mics and battery box / preamp are you using?  In what scenarios do you plan to record - open or stealth, loud rock & roll or unamplified acoustic or nature sounds or...?

Thanks, this is just the type of info I needed.  I'm really a video guy, but decided to get a low budget rig strictly as a back-up audio source, so I mainly do open recording.  I have Church Audio mics and preamp.  I plan to record mostly loud rock and funk type bands.  While doing video, I'm able to plug into the soundboard via a beachtek DFX if allowed and I also use a shotgun mic.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
Thanks, this is just the type of info I needed.  I'm really a video guy, but decided to get a low budget rig strictly as a back-up audio source, so I mainly do open recording.  I have Church Audio mics and preamp.  I plan to record mostly loud rock and funk type bands.  While doing video, I'm able to plug into the soundboard via a beachtek DFX if allowed and I also use a shotgun mic.

Based on the above, I stay to my previous recommendation:  use the JB3's internal ADC and see how you like it.  Since you're recording mainly loud sources (and have a preamp), run the JB3 line-in, not mic-in.  On some units, running mic-in picks up some internal operation noise, so line-in's your safest bet.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com