Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinionations needed re: recent Iriver H120 acquisition  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
Opinionations needed re: recent Iriver H120 acquisition
« on: June 01, 2007, 01:24:26 PM »
So I've been lurking and lurking on the yard sale looking for an h120 w/ remote but to no avail...I been lurking so much that I had better luck finding a V2 ! 

Anyways, last nite I did a random search on ebay for h120 and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170117927914&rd=1&rd=1

Assuming it's not DOA, am I in for a firmware upgrade to use this as a bit bucket ?   Or am I likely to just plug/n/play ? 

The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Opinionations needed re: recent Iriver H120 acquisition
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 01:29:33 PM »
you will want to install rockbox on it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline petur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »
So... did you get it?

If so: congratulations. You'll probably want to install rockbox on it to take real advantage of the hardware. A link is in my sig ;)

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 04:47:21 PM »
That charger looks like it has been repaired..... Maybe not a big deal if it works properly, but know that most h1xx and h3xx die because of improper voltages on charging ie. wrong charger used by mistake. 

Check out the forums at misticriver.net as much info can be found by lurking there.  Also Petur can be an outstanding help also.

Joe

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 08:07:46 PM »
to me it looked more like some plug converter was taped onto it...
if the charger is from iriver it should be ok

Offline Xpanding Man

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:33:06 PM »
to me it looked more like some plug converter was taped onto it...
if the charger is from iriver it should be ok

+t to ya sir, and to all else for the responses...i will check the charger with a voltage thingy from a friend who's an electrician, to make sure it's giving a steady charge.

i really need this to be able to control levels when stealthing, w/o having to open the bookbag/purse etc.  my GF has a perfect purse for my AT943s > MP2 > bitbucket, but a guy looking into a womans' purse might attract attention....this ain't france !

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 04:34:03 PM »
Rockbox is perfect for this with the setting of saftey set on AGC, as it does not pump the level. Only lowers when the input gets too hot.  Very useful.

Consider the wired remote also....

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 05:31:10 PM »
agree... you could use the remote together with cliplight. But beware that the remote picks up more interference (like from nearby mobile phones).

I normally just engage AGC-Safety and don't worry during the show :)
as explained above, it will lower gain if the signal comes above -3dB (iirc), and never raise it. You can also set the speed at which it responds

have fun!

Offline Xpanding Man

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 06:03:47 PM »
agree... you could use the remote together with cliplight. But beware that the remote picks up more interference (like from nearby mobile phones).

I normally just engage AGC-Safety and don't worry during the show :)
as explained above, it will lower gain if the signal comes above -3dB (iirc), and never raise it. You can also set the speed at which it responds

have fun!

That's strangely convenient....it will lower the signal to avoid clipping and keep it there ?  That's like a recorder that automatically sets its own levels....awesome !

Yeah, I'm a fill-in DJ at a local jazz station, which gets me access to shows....i'm ready to commit to never missing another big-name act again, but the venue in question has a strict no-taping policy, regardless of artist's consent.   I felt like I needed an iriver w/ wired remote so that i could adjust levels on the remote, which i'm told is possible.  the rig would me

AT943 cards XY (protruding from purse) > pm4 > MP2 > mic-in IRIVER

I've previously used the above except with a JB3, but i've given up on using the levels on that thing....impossible to get a good pull.

thanks again for the help y'all !  first good pull i make i'll send some discs...hope you like jazz :)

Being Taped: 

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 06:56:43 PM »
How exactly does the AGC work?  I've honestly never used it before. 

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
AGC...
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 02:03:16 AM »
AGC has four modes of operation:
 a. Safety (Clip)
 b. Live (Slow)
 c. DJ-Set (Slow)
 d. Voice (Fast)

recording settings>Automatic Gain Control>Automatic Gain Control>Saftey (clip)

The level will be lowered if input exceeds a set level (-3dB?) and does'nt raise levels if input signal falls away naturally.  Set levels high for each show( set really) and let Rockbox take care of the fader for you.  Cliplight option wil turn the backlight on (remote or main unit, user selectable) if the gain is peaking.

My best shows get monitored through IEM's at the remote, intermittently.

Petur, to ask an obvious question, what do you know about the while recording screen?  batt meter, histogram, peak levels.....  Only to indulge my curiosity..... Thanks.

Joe

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
Re: AGC...
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 03:31:22 AM »
AGC has four modes of operation:
 a. Safety (Clip)
 b. Live (Slow)
 c. DJ-Set (Slow)
 d. Voice (Fast)

recording settings>Automatic Gain Control>Automatic Gain Control>Saftey (clip)

The level will be lowered if input exceeds a set level (-3dB?) and does'nt raise levels if input signal falls away naturally.  Set levels high for each show( set really) and let Rockbox take care of the fader for you.  Cliplight option wil turn the backlight on (remote or main unit, user selectable) if the gain is peaking.
Just to make it absolutely clear: only Safety (Clip) will not up the levels again, the three other modes can lower but also increase gain. BEWARE!

Petur, to ask an obvious question, what do you know about the while recording screen?  batt meter, histogram, peak levels.....  Only to indulge my curiosity..... Thanks.
Euh... what is there to know? I know almost nothing about the REP (battery/disk indication and histogram), the rest in fairly obvious I'd say ;)

Pressing rec starts/stops recording, pressing play will force a split I think. Check our manual....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com