Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Whats better a HI-MD or R-09? Need help with a new recorder  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Bigdinca

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Whats better a HI-MD or R-09? Need help with a new recorder
« on: August 18, 2007, 11:48:45 PM »
Hello I have a Sharp MD-MT290H that im starting to get a lot of blank spots on my recordings so im looking at getting either a Sony MZ-M200HI-MD or R-09. What would be the best out of them?

Thanks for the help

nameloc01

Re: Whats better a HI-MD or R-09? Need help with a new recorder
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 11:56:31 PM »
depends on who you ask. i am forced to tell you hi-md. ;)

Offline Bigdinca

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 12:03:55 AM »
depends on who you ask. i am forced to tell you hi-md. ;)

Yeah I have heard good and bad on both. I was leaning towards the HI-MD since Im use to MD but R-09 seem alot better for some reason.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:04:35 AM »
I'd say it depends on your needs...  If you want SPDIF input, go with the HiMD.  If you want 24/48, go with the R09.  I think both a great pocket size recorders...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Bigdinca

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 01:49:58 AM »
I'd say it depends on your needs...  If you want SPDIF input, go with the HiMD.  If you want 24/48, go with the R09.  I think both a great pocket size recorders...

Terry

I tape rock bands 99.9% of the time in big arena's and some loud clubs. I have never had a problem taping with my MD so that's another reason to stay with the MD or I should say upgrade to a HI-MD but the R-09 is very tempting.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 02:02:24 AM »

Terry

I tape rock bands 99.9% of the time in big arena's and some loud clubs. I have never had a problem taping with my MD so that's another reason to stay with the MD or I should say upgrade to a HI-MD but the R-09 is very tempting.

I think your mic set-up is most important when you think of how loud the source is...  If all you need is a line-out, SPLs make no diff, at least recorder-wise...  Basically, if your mics can handle the volume, it doesn't matter what you recorder is.

If you are running an analog line-out out of your mics, or require an analog line-in, I would use the R09 as it provides 24/28 recording capability, as well as all the features of the MD.  24/28 allows use with any future format or DVD etc.  16/48 with HiMd is just fine, however.

The R09 also uses easily reusable media, in the SD card.  Dump your audio onto PC a lot faster than a SonisStage transfer and reforamat of the SD card alleviates any problem with reuse. 

Also, the R09 w/ 4gb card offers longer taping time than a HiMD.

Sounds like I'm voting for the R09...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 04:17:22 AM »
I also vote for the R-9 as long as you only require line in or mic in connections.  No digital in.

I've had an R-9 pretty much since they came out and love it.  Plus the media is easily reusable and you don't have to worry about swapping disks in the middle of a show.  The last 3 shows I've been at with my R-9 while mini disk tapers were there, There was no convenient place to swap MDs in the middle of the recording.  Also, I'm not sure why someone would want to have to deal with that.  At Zappa plays Zappa (2:45 straight total recording time (me at 24X48)) there was a MD taper behind me that lost key parts of the show for disk changes.  Once my levels were set I never touched my R-9 once and had plenty of room left over.

With the R-9 you set your levels, set auto split, start it and flick the hold switch and put it in your pocket.  Then you never have to check it until the show is over.

I'm also not sure about speed of MD transfers to the PC but with the R9 I was able to transfer via USB 2.6 hours of 24X48 musc directly to the PC when I got home in 6 min.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 04:40:49 AM »
The MZ-RH1 has advantages for silent to moderately loud music as it´s premp is not as noisy as the r09´s and the RH1-mic-in is more sensitive(and overloads earlier if you have to go down to gain 10 or 11(or below) of 30=> change to line-in with bbox and all is fine ;).

pro: for RH1
-better preamp (no external preamp needed for acoustic/moderately loud shows)=>big point for 100% stealth tapers
-easy all-time-visible display(levels and record time) when hidden in your chest-pocket

cons:
-disc change after 94min 55sec when recording in WAV...16bit 44.1kHz( HI-SP-ATRAC3 256kbit/s =>makes 7h56min recording on 1 HI-MD sounds great too...I don´t hear a difference to WAV and HI-SP uploads are accepted on dimea dozen.org )
-no 24bit/48kHz recordings possible
-transfer of 16bit 44.1kHz takes about 2x realtime, thus a 90min PCM recording takes about 40min transfer-time.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 02:27:26 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 05:52:35 AM »
R-09, or H120 if you want to go budget.
Put a Hi-MD next to a H120 and it becomes apparent how many limitations the Hi-MD has. Shorter recording time, cost of media, lack of open firmware (rockbox!)...

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 05:56:55 AM »
I had a MZ-R70 back in the days and though I did not tape much, when I switched to the R-09 it just lifted a burden of my shoulders. No more worry about flipping discs, just press record and let it go. SD-cards are so cheap nowadays as well. I used a 2GB card, which fits over 3 hrs of music in CD quality which is more than enough for me, so I was very satisfied with my R-09.
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline Bigdinca

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 02:25:17 PM »
Thanks for the info

nameloc01

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 03:28:55 PM »
go team HI-MD !!   ;D :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.246 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com