Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Binaural Recording (latest thinking from tapers?)  (Read 17409 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Binaural Recording (latest thinking from tapers?)
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2020, 04:20:03 PM »
there are some impossibly small android phones that make an iphone SE look enormous by comparison
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 04:09:50 PM »
Good news! I was unaware of that.

Now just need to figure out how to use 3 or 4 d:vice into a single phone
(Not interested in trying to do it using multiple syn'c phones)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 06:22:18 PM »
Good news! I was unaware of that.

Now just need to figure out how to use 3 or 4 d:vice into a single phone
(Not interested in trying to do it using multiple syn'c phones)

according to dpa 2 d:vices are a no-go on a single usb due to power draw. true for lightning at least, not sure if all usb-c phones have the same limitations

a microPC with multiple USB busses would likely work just fine
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2020, 08:40:48 PM »
Yeah, my general concept is to incorporate the guts of several d:vices along with a battery to power them into a single external USB battery case.  Multiple mics terminated to a USB style plug into a secondary converted USB port on the external.  Phone + "external USB battery" = easy in..  even with my crazy 6 to 8 channel surround arrays.

A dream tantalizingly just out of reach.  A micro PC that can pass as a phone seems a further reach to me, but I'd love to be wrong about that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2020, 09:41:26 PM »
as far as the load goes the mics are next to nothing

the AKM AK5552VN adc chip they use sips power. it’s like half the power consumption of others in the series at only a very slight SN penalty. seems like an obvious design choice

i can’t speak to the power consumption of the (analog) gain circuit they use, though i’ll bet it’s significant relative to digital gain stages
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:28:21 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2020, 04:48:43 PM »
Sennheiser have discontinued the Ambeo Headset which is now sold off at a fraction of the initial price by various sources. Bought two of them, one black one white, and wish I had more time to play with them and post some results. 

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2020, 07:21:08 PM »
Sennheiser have discontinued the Ambeo Headset which is now sold off at a fraction of the initial price by various sources. Bought two of them, one black one white, and wish I had more time to play with them and post some results. 

Ralf

IMO they are worth picking up. Especially if you are an i-Phone user. They certainly don't sound top notch, but for shows where you don't want to put much effort into and just want a listenable copy of the show they are great.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2020, 08:17:20 PM »
Sennheiser have discontinued the Ambeo Headset which is now sold off at a fraction of the initial price by various sources.

can you link it? id buy one for $100 or so

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2020, 08:55:09 PM »
$79 on Woot. Should be in every tapers toolbox at that price.

https://www.iwoot.us/electronics/earphones-headphones/sennheiser-ambeo-smart-headset-black/12660076.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=USD&shippingcountry=US&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp4j6BRCRARIsAGq4yMGMi6KRaNS8HYu9p0xm7fHqRT_jIthdWDzKs_787ID36YVVa7xCMy0aArsPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here's a recording made with them. This was my first time at this venue. I think I should have been back a bit farther, but it's still a decent recording.

https://youtu.be/X3sHVgTBhOQ
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2020, 12:04:28 AM »
nice. a steal for $80

i measured the voltage on the ambeo breakout box in hopes that 4061s or 4063s could be retrofitted but its just a hair over 2V to the mics
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:23:54 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2020, 02:06:49 AM »
Thanks for the link Ralph and Mike B!  Ordered a pair.  Hard not to at that price.    ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:25:39 AM by MIQ »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2020, 03:38:17 AM »
Thanks for the link Ralph and Mike B!  Ordered a pair.  Hard not to at that price.    ;D
its ideal

setup any buddy with an iphone as a backup. theyre actually not awful as headphones, and when used binaurally, they can be adjusted to attentuate and act like electronic earplugs (tho they still distort at relatively low volumes)

heres a charlie hunter show i ran with ambeos one set and 4061>dvice for another. see if you can guess which one

https://tinyurl.com/cht-tahoe

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2020, 10:47:38 PM »

I’ll second that, as an iPhone user at that price just had to grab a set before they dry up. Appreciate the link!
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2020, 12:18:02 AM »
sup with this site?

ordered > they cancelled and they deleted my login

registered new acct> ordered again > they cancelled both order and deleted account again

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2020, 12:32:06 AM »

heres a charlie hunter show i ran with ambeos one set and 4061>dvice for another. see if you can guess which one

https://tinyurl.com/cht-tahoe

Thanks!  Both sets sound fantastic over my Shure headphones.  I love me some Charlie!!  I definitely feel like part of the audience in "Can't Let Go".  Glad to hear how nice these Senn Ambeos can sound.  Thank you for sharing this!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com