Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transferring DAT to PC  (Read 7440 times)

Offline fogelsong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Transferring DAT to PC
« on: July 28, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »
How are folks transferring DATs these days? I haven't transferred a DAT in over a decade and am unsure what solutions are available.

I still have my Tascam DA-20 mkii packed in a box and it should be in working condition. Previously I used a Delta Dio 2496 soundcard but there do not seem to be Windows 10 drivers, so that is out. Is there a decent sound card or USB interface that takes coax that y'all recommend?

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Transferring DAT to PC
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 03:42:43 PM »
How are folks transferring DATs these days?  Is there a decent sound card or USB interface that takes coax that y'all recommend?
I personally have an old stable setup or three that work but it seems that the recent consensus is to get a cheap "bit bucket" digital recorder and just transfer the files off the memory card from that. Marantz or even the legendary "Microtrack" aka microcrap! Those things have internal batteries which were notorious for failing but they work quite reliably when powered by USB.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 04:28:30 PM »
I went the pc route and wish I hadn't. Much easier to get a recorder with spdif input. A Tascam Dr100mkII can be had cheaply second hand these days. Marantz pmd670 has digi in and its 16bit only so I'd bet they can also be had on the cheap. I learned my lesson with 3 microtracks, just say no.

Offline IMPigpen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »
I went the pc route and wish I hadn't. Much easier to get a recorder with spdif input. A Tascam Dr100mkII can be had cheaply second hand these days. Marantz pmd670 has digi in and its 16bit only so I'd bet they can also be had on the cheap. I learned my lesson with 3 microtracks, just say no.

Exactly what I did for my DAT transfers.  I picked up a used Marantz PMD670 that included a card and a brand new portabrace for it for $40 on ebay.  I only use it for transfers because it's 16-bit.  But it works great for $40.
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline fogelsong

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 06:35:32 PM »
Thanks everyone! I settled on the Marantz PMD670 and bought one off eBay.

Offline tbger

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 01:52:44 PM »
But how will you be getting the optical signal into this device ?  You'll need some kind of converter in order to do that, or am I missing something ?  Thanks

Offline morst

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 02:22:12 PM »
But how will you be getting the optical signal into this device ?  You'll need some kind of converter in order to do that, or am I missing something ?  Thanks
I still have my Tascam DA-20 mkii packed in a box and it should be in working condition. Previously I used a Delta Dio 2496 soundcard but there do not seem to be Windows 10 drivers, so that is out. Is there a decent sound card or USB interface that takes coax that y'all recommend?

Coaxial is S/Pdif over copper.
DA-20 has that, Coaxial digital, not digital optical connectors for I/O.

Offline fogelsong

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 07:18:12 PM »
Correct.

Tascam DA-20 mkii coax output -> Marantz PMD670 coax input

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 02:47:43 AM »
Somebody has released Win10 drivers for the M-Audio cards
There always is compatibility mode, and if you're bold, virtualization in Win10 that runs a WinXP virtual PC inside 10 with driver support.

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 05:33:21 PM »
I've been using an old M-Audio MicroTrack II and a SV-3700. The SV-3700 handles DAT playback and connects to the MicroTrack via an S/PDIF coax cable.

The MicroTrack records to an SD card mounted in a CF card adapter. I take the SD card to my editing desktop PC.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:48:59 PM by Len Moskowitz (Core Sound) »
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline morst

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 02:09:40 PM »
I've been using an old M-Audio MicroTrack II and a SV-3700. The SV-3700 handles DAT playback and connects to the McirTrack via an S/PDIF coax cable.
The MicroTrack records to an SD card mounted in a CF card adapter. I take the SD card to my editing desktop PC.
My buddy who has gone though more of these than I (and who was a serious repeat customer of the late great P Plotnick) told me just the other day that the SV-3700 is not a practical machine to keep in operation compared to the SV-3800.
The 3800 has better build quality. So enjoy the 3700 and baby it but don't expect it to last as long as the model which succeeded it.

Ah but the old 3500... that had metal parts. Had one. Loved it. It smoothly handled 44.056 kHz too.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
in any case, with any interface or soundcard, its best to test, test, test

a simple generated 1khz sine wave looped around to the analog in of your dat machine makes it real easy to see if the interface, OS, or media is dropping samples in the recorded file
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 10:50:23 PM »
My buddy who has gone though more of these than I (and who was a serious repeat customer of the late great P Plotnick) told me just the other day that the SV-3700 is not a practical machine to keep in operation compared to the SV-3800.
The 3800 has better build quality. So enjoy the 3700 and baby it but don't expect it to last as long as the model which succeeded it.

Fortunately, it's lasted this long - and that's quite a long time!

I'm dubbing my remaining DATs and then the SV-3700 will be offered for sale.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline fogelsong

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
Somebody has released Win10 drivers for the M-Audio cards
There always is compatibility mode, and if you're bold, virtualization in Win10 that runs a WinXP virtual PC inside 10 with driver support.

Apologies for delayed response. I checked with M-Audio and the Delta Dio 2496 (the card I have) is not listed on their Windows 10 Support for M-Audio Products page - https://m-audio.com/kb/article/1882

Could you be more specific on Win10 drivers? Who is this "somebody" that has released Win10 drivers for the M-Audio cards?

I ran into an issue attempting to transfer one DAT due to it having a 32kHz sampling rate - unfortunately the Marantz PMD670 does not handle 32kHz digitally - just 44.1 and 48. I'd rather not do an analog transfer if I can avoid it, so utilizing the ol' Delta Dio 2496 is my best bet. And if you're wondering why that DAT is 32kHz sampling rate, they're radio broadcasts...

Offline adamz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 10:23:16 PM »
Coaxial is S/Pdif over copper.
DA-20 has that, Coaxial digital, not digital optical connectors for I/O.[/font]

Is that the old orange ended cord I gave away 25 years ago? Could I use any red/white style RCA cords instead?
If there's recommended high quality SPDIF Coax cords plz let me know.
I'm running from 3800 to MarantzPMD661.
My CDR is giving me OPC errors and I never contemplated taping into my solid state to transfer DATs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com