Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Syncing a V3 Word Clock output with a DMIC-20 AES REF input  (Read 22692 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Syncing a V3 Word Clock output with a DMIC-20 AES REF input
« on: February 11, 2007, 08:10:43 PM »
Has anyone done this?
Connected the V3 WC output to the DMIC-20 AES REF input?
Of course my goal is to have the two units share the same clock, so I can sync up the two stereo recordings later in post production.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tryed to do this. Does it work well? Are the recordings synced up perfectly?

One problem for me, is that my V3 is opti-moded, but I assume there is another mod to add the WC output back?

Added: 02-26-2007

Yes, it is possible to sync the sample rates! Read my post on page 5 of this thread
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:53:25 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Re: Syncing a V3 Word Clock output with a DMIC-20 AES REF input
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 10:44:39 PM »
Has anyone done this?
Connected the V3 WC output to the DMIC-20 AES REF input?
Of course my goal is to have the two units share the same clock, so I can sync up the two stereo recordings later in post production.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tryed to do this. Does it work well? Are the recordings synced up perfectly?

I don't believe that the DMIC AES input has anything to do with the word clocks syncing.

One problem for me, is that my V3 is opti-moded, but I assume there is another mod to add the WC output back?

You might be better off trying to swap your opti-mod for an unmodded one, if you found that you can do what you are trying to accomplish.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline Chuck

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:20:52 AM »

I don't believe that the DMIC AES input has anything to do with the word clocks syncing.

Hmmm... I don't know whet else it could be for ???
I know it's possible to use an external clock with the DMIC-20. So, that has to be where it gets the signal from.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline trajhip2000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 12:06:41 PM »
it looks to me like the AES Ref input isn't a wordclock input per se, but rather it will sync to the wordclock it extracts from a "full" AES input signal. so I would guess you could use one of the AES outputs on the V3 to sync the clocks, altho it looks like you will need some sort of adapter/cable to go from XLR to BNC. I'm thinking maybe they do it this way so you can sync to sources that don't have a formal WC out.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:08:58 PM by trajhip2000 »

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 12:25:49 PM »

The opti-mod replaces the hardware for the word clock.  While I am not sure if they can redo the WC I do know that you can have one or the other but not both.

For the expense of having that done to your V3 the method for creating a matrix in WaveLab seems to be more time effective, IMO.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:01:07 PM by twatts »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Chuck

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 02:15:45 PM »
Cool. I just talked to Neal at Grace and he said basically the same thing. I don't need the word clock out. He said the AES out should work. I also have an e-mail into Graham Patten to see what they say.

As far as trying to match up two digital sources in WaveLab, that's not for me, it is WAY to slow and tedious. I'll report back when I get the DMIC to tell whether it works.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 02:24:25 PM »
Thanks Terry. I found a real cheap DMIC-20, so i want to try this. If both units run under the same clock, the files should sync up perfectly... right?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »
Thanks Terry. I found a real cheap DMIC-20, so i want to try this. If both units run under the same clock, the files should sync up perfectly... right?

I'm not sure, I've never had any experience with wordclock.

ToddR made mentioned of using wordclock in the thread talking to Bean about his next upgrade:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79473.msg1058390.html#msg1058390

He refers to running the WC out of the V3 into a 722 so the 4 channels sync like an R4. 

So yeah, I think your files should sync... 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 02:38:27 PM »
I took a look at the DMIC-24 manual, and it seems to indicate that the input is to ensure that the DMIC samples at the same rate as the other device.  From the manual:

Connecting AES Reference
The DMIC-24 can be synchronized to an alternate output frequency (from the default frequency)
by connecting a valid AES reference signal to the AES REF BNC connector. The EXT REF LED
on the front panel lights when a valid reference signal is applied.
To phase lock the unit’s sample frequency to a reference, connect a reference signal (between 30
KHz and 50 KHz sampling rate) to the AES REF BNC connector. The AES signal output will now
phase-lock to the incoming reference — independent of the DMIC’s default reference frequency.

It does not seem to be a wordclock in/out.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline Chuck

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 02:43:15 PM »
I took a look at the DMIC-24 manual, and it seems to indicate that the input is to ensure that the DMIC samples at the same rate as the other device.  From the manual:

Connecting AES Reference
The DMIC-24 can be synchronized to an alternate output frequency (from the default frequency)
by connecting a valid AES reference signal to the AES REF BNC connector. The EXT REF LED
on the front panel lights when a valid reference signal is applied.
To phase lock the unit’s sample frequency to a reference, connect a reference signal (between 30
KHz and 50 KHz sampling rate) to the AES REF BNC connector. The AES signal output will now
phase-lock to the incoming reference — independent of the DMIC’s default reference frequency.

It does not seem to be a wordclock in/out.

That's funny, I read that a whole different way. It sounds to me like by runing AES out of the V3 to the AES in on the DMIC-20 they will share the same clock. That's what I want.

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 03:01:51 PM »

I would just find someone who has a non-modded V3 who'd trade with you.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 03:06:16 PM »
Chuck -- you should talk to Scott on the CO Crew.  He got a Mytek Stereo192 A/D with a word-in and got his V3 reverse modded back to the original (not the first to have it done according to Grace).  He's been using the Mytek and V3 with word out to record 4channels and mix them in post.  With all 4 channels using the same clock, syncing is a breeze.

FWIW, I'm reading the Dmic-20 the same as you -- AES Ref will strip the incoming AES input to get the clocking info and will use that as the clocking reference.  Pretty cool.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Chuck

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »
If I lose the optical out on my V3, I'll have to quit using the iRiver until I can figure out how to add a coax in on it... :(
I love the iRiver!

When I talked to Neal at Grace, he said it should work from the SPDIF out on the V3. The GP literature says it needs to be AES out, but the BNC input is not balanced, so that presents another problem.

I wish I had the DMIC now, so I could try it!  :-[

Offline Chuck

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 03:16:38 PM »
Chuck -- you should talk to Scott on the CO Crew.  He got a Mytek Stereo192 A/D with a word-in and got his V3 reverse modded back to the original (not the first to have it done according to Grace).  He's been using the Mytek and V3 with word out to record 4channels and mix them in post.  With all 4 channels using the same clock, syncing is a breeze.

FWIW, I'm reading the Dmic-20 the same as you -- AES Ref will strip the incoming AES input to get the clocking info and will use that as the clocking reference.  Pretty cool.

Thanks for the great discussion guys. I'll let you know whether it works or not when I get the DMIC-20.

Gee, this will be great if it really works. I was planing to buy or build an analog mixer to mix two stereo sources on the fly, but this will be MUCH better if it works! 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com