Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to set up the Zoom H2n?  (Read 391 times)

Offline Pieteker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How to set up the Zoom H2n?
« on: March 19, 2024, 07:31:35 AM »
Hi,

A friend of mine is going to tape his first shows in April and he wants to start out with the Zoom H2n. I already told him that external mics are the way to go, but he wants to use the gear he has now, which I understand. I told him to set the recording mode to M/S Raw and record in 24-bit / 44.1 kHz, making sure to position the recorder in a straight line towards the stage and not to let levels go over -12 dB during recording. I also recommended that he get a small hand rig like this one to hold it somewhat above chest level: https://www.thomann.de/nl/rycote_soft_grip_extension_handle.htm?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw7-SvBhB6EiwAwYdCAXBa-Xk7M0hzW5SsHlXsooRtBa_4HNoFRI_bMY9HjUktVxhWiUVYJBoCNDoQAvD_BwE

Am I missing something here? He's recording his first show at AFAS Live in Amsterdam, a big venue. I told him to just stand a few meters in front of the board.

Would love to hear your take on this!

Thanks,
Pieter

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: How to set up the Zoom H2n?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 08:08:24 AM »
there’s no benefit to midside raw over stereo, because the math is bidirectional. And there’s no reason to limit it to 44.1 unless it’s going straight to cd.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 08:09:37 AM »
That's a big room; I think the capacity is 5 or 6000. The higher he can get the mics, the better...

I have never taped there, but another member (Popmarter) has (I think). You might want to ask him or maybe he will see this and chime in.

Offline AbbyTaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 02:40:37 AM »
Set it at least to 24/48

Offline Pieteker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 10:33:09 AM »
Thanks everyone!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com