Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Stereophonic Zoom  (Read 2038 times)

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
The Stereophonic Zoom
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:22:09 PM »
Just thought I'd start a thread to discuss this paper, which has helped change my approach to recording and improve results.

I used to think that ORTF or DINa was the way to go w/ my mics in general, but after reading (and re-reading!) this document, and trying things like 40deg angle+35cm distance, and 60deg/30cm, my recordings are less boomy, so far.

I also needed a place to post pix of the Crocodile Eye (for measuring the angular coverage segment values of the sound source ) described in the doc, source http://www.soundsscot.com/  :)

1st pic is Back view showing the optical viewing eye. The crocodile covers a viewing angle of 180°.
2nd pic is Front view showing the 25mm optical lens and graduations every 10°

Don't think I'd wanna lug this around, but it's pretty cool.
retired

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: The Stereophonic Zoom
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 03:24:03 PM »
There are numerous references to and suggestions for checking out the Stereo Zoom on this site. It's a great approach and general thought process.

Easy estimation of angles can be done without any extra gear using the 'back yard astronomer' method- a fist held at arms length covers approximately 10 degrees of arc.

Stereo Zoom is so 1984 though, MMAD is now.  :P
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com