Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Weird Lplex or DVD problem, anyone using?  (Read 2738 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Weird Lplex or DVD problem, anyone using?
« on: September 21, 2006, 10:03:21 PM »
I just started using Lplex & burned two shows on some older DVD discs I had laying around. The discs are about a year old, verbatum's. The first disc has drop outs in the tracks intermitantly. I went back to the original files to confirm it isn't the files, the originals are fine. The second disc plays a song for a while & then just goes into white noise/digi static.

Weird, no clue whether it is the discs or the software?? The discs look fine. I grabbed some year old Verbatum discs I had burned last year & they play perfectly in the same player. So, it isn't the player or files. Discs or software? Looks like I need to load another burning software.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline aval57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Weird Lplex or DVD problem, anyone using?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 11:50:35 PM »
Hi carlbeck,

Did you try slowing down the burn? This happened to me too, and I made a nice little stack of coasters before figuring out that maybe I should try burning at 4x even though the dvds were nominally 8x, and everything was ok. They were a noname brand, though. My bad burns were like your first disk, with random dropouts.

White noise could be an encoding problem, though; If it's also present during playback of the dvd files on a software dvd player, then I'd be interested to know the details and see the Lplex.log file.

btw, for what it's worth my favorite burner is ImgBurn.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 11:52:46 PM by aval57 »

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 12:31:45 AM »
I used DVD Audiofile tonight with no problems, must have been Lplex?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline aval57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 07:50:28 AM »
Both Lplex and DVD Audiofile (which is a frontend for dvda-author) create the iso image using the same underlying tool: mkisofs, so it's unlikely that the iso itself is the problem.  The transcoding routines in lplex are also essentially the same as those in dvda-author/dvdaudiofile (which was the initial model I used in writing Lplex), so it's curious that you seem to be getting different results.

If you're willing to look into this a bit further, would it be possible for you to:

• Give the particulars about the input files: format, bit-depth, khz, channels.
  • Open 'Lplex.log' (located in the 'something_DVD\XTRA' folder), nd see if there are any ERR or WARN messages. If (and only if) so attach the entire Lplex.log, otherwise just include the first ten lines of Lplex.log here for now.
  • Check whether there's dropout/hiss in the Lplex dvd files (in the 'something_DVD' folder) when played back in windvd/powerdvd/vlc or other silmilar software dvd player.
  • (Only if you find hiss in the previous step) drop the 'something_DVD' folder onto Lplex.exe again and see if the extracted audio matches the original audio.

Thanks,
Bahman

Offline aval57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 08:34:57 AM »
It occurred to me that there's also a way to eliminate the possibility of a bad burn being the problem:

• Put the hissy disc into your dvd drive, then drop the drive onto Lplex.exe to extract the audio.
  • Drop the 'something_DVD' folder onto Lplex.exe likewise.

If Lplex reports md5 errors on the actual disc and not on the 'something_DVD' folder, then it's a burn problem.  To speed things up, you can also just press CTRL-C to stop Lplex after extracting only one file in both tests, but then you'll have to play/fingerprint both files manually to see if there's a difference.

Offline aval57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 01:09:51 PM »
carlbeck, one of your downloaders at digitalpanic contacted me this week with similar problems (white noise/faint music): it turned out that he had set "video=pal" in Lplex.ini and then tried to play the dvd on an ntsc-only player.  Could this have happened here too?

PS downloaded your wsp2006-09-20flac24 in the process of troubleshooting: great recording!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 06:18:38 PM »
Thanks for the compliment.

I don't know how it was set but I started using a different program to burn with & have had no other problems.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com